Hey guys!
Just a question about switching from high gain to low gain during a song.
Do you guys use a
1) Volume pedal
2) 2 different distortion pedals (1 for high gain, the other for low)
3) Have a distortion and overdrive setup before hand, turn off your overdrive when you wanna play low gain

???

Thanks!
roll back the volume knob on my guitar.. since i only have 1 its easy.

although if youre not using one of the pickups, and you have a 3 way selector, roll back the volume on the pickup youre not using to a suitable volume, and switch whn you need it
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
Last edited by leigh596 at Feb 19, 2012,
You might just want to turn down the volume on your guitar, it's an awesome sound hearing the gain resolve into a light crunch or clean tone. Jimi Hendrix did it all the time!

Don't feel the pressure of buying different pedals for tone, especially not for something like volume. You might realize that you could easily do something with your hands that sounds so awe-inspiring than stomping on a tin box! For example, playing with your pic closer to the neck gives a different kind of tone than your neck pickup alone!

Good luck!
Cheers!
Last edited by Yjmshredder at Feb 19, 2012,
You can have two overdrives set up, have a boost to use, or use your guitar's volume knob(s). What you use depends one your personal taste and the situation you're in. Some people even have 3 (or more) channel amps so they can achieve two types of gain quickly.

Most people just use the volume knob on their guitar, though. It's just as easy and twice as cost effective as anything else.
Volume knob on the guitar and picking dynamics will have a massive effect on the amount of distrotion generated by a tube amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I switch chanels on my amp. 3 ch amps are great for this. 1 clean 1 mid gain 1 higain when doing cover gigs.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Pick attack and volume knob is my vote
If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.
volume knob or maybe the built-in boost in the amp (or an od for a lead boost)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Clean on my 6505+ is clean, Crunch is low gain. Lead is high gain.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
I used an OD and a EQ pedal, but the OD is basically always running just to give my Valveking some added umph. I used the clean channel if I really want a clean, but I rarely if ever use cleans with my band. I don't like a huge difference in volume and gain between my rhythm and lead so I have to watch that I don't set my EQ too high.
Gear:

Fender Strat
PRS SE Custom 24
Agile AL-3100

Jet City JCA50H
Randall 2x12 wV30s
Looks like most of you guys are using your volume knobs!
Thanks for the response, certainly gonna try it out!!!
Switching pickups can also do the job, especially on a 3 pickup guitar where the in-between positions will naturally be a little quieter.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com