The Standard Plus Top that I ordered keeps getting delayed. I did get the Traditional Pro that I ordered, and other than some fret problems, it sounded awesome! The Traditional Pro is being replaced next week. I ended up paying $429.00 for the Traditional Pro and $381.60 for the Plus Top -- both great deals.

I am definitely keeping the Traditional Pro, once I get one that is in good condition. That is one of the best looking and best sounding guitars that I have seen. I really love the pickups that they are using in this one. I didn't get to play the Standard Plus Top, because it had a broken neck. The nearest Gibson dealer is about two hours away, so I can't just run down to the local music store, to play one.

While the Plus Top that I received was a beautiful looking guitar, I cannot imagine it sounding as good as the Trad. Pro. I know that this could be overcome, by replacing the pickups. I also know that the Plus Top Pros are going to be coming out, with the new pickups and the coil splitting.

I am trying to justify having two of "almost the same" guitar. The main justification is that I got a great deal on the Plus Top. The other is that I can change the pickups on the Plus Top, and have pretty much any type of guitar that I want out of it. I have started thinking, though, that maybe I should get my money back, for the Plus Top, and get a comparably priced Ibanez, Jackson, or Schecter -- more of a "metal guitar". I plan on the Trad Pro being my main electric, and maybe that would give me a little more versatility. What do you all think?
... I didn't understand, sorry. You ordered 2 guitars and want to have an excuse to keep both? Why order 2 in the first place then? It's getting replaced next week and then you say you're definitly keeping it?

What?
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Unless you feel you need the versatility I'd keep both of em. But with different pups.
Quote by shred_hed
Unless you feel you need the versatility I'd keep both of em. But with different pups.

I ordered the Les Paul Standard Plus Top, and when it arrived, it had a broken neck. It was supposed to be replaced the next week, but the ship date of the replacement kept getting bumped forward. It has been over a month of being bumped forward, now. It looks like a lot of companies are having problems getting their shipments from Epiphone.

While I was waiting for the backorder to be filled, I ended up liking the way that the Traditional Pro looked. Once I got it, I really liked the way that it sounded, other than the terrible fret job on it. The tech that I took it too described it as, "The worst that he had even seen."

I sent it back, to get it exchanged, as well. I definitely plan on keeping the Traditional Pro, because it was beautiful and even the stock pickups on it sounded great. I was really wondering if I should cancel the order of the Standard Plus Top. I got such a good deal on it, though, that I really don't want to cancel the order. I was wondering if maybe getting an Ibanez, a Jackson, or something would be better than having two of "almost the same" guitar.

Hopefully that explanation is a little better.
So you bought two guitars, and you want to know whether in our opinions you should keep both? Bearing in mind one of them had a terrible fretjob and the other a broken neck and they've been useless sending you a new one? Why not send both back and buy something considerably better with your money....
Why the hell do you want 2 guitars that are almost exactly the same? Why don't you just get 1 guitar that's better?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Why the hell do you want 2 guitars that are almost exactly the same? Why don't you just get 1 guitar that's better?

I want one for metal and one for everything else. I was thinking that I could put much hotter pickups in one of them. Then I started thinking that maybe I could get an Ibanez for metal, since there are several Ibaanez dealers near me.

I just hate getting a refund on a Les Paul Standard Plus Top that I paid $381 for new.
If you want one for metal, why not get something with a Floyd if you don't change tunings much.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by patrick2099
I want one for metal and one for everything else. I was thinking that I could put much hotter pickups in one of them. Then I started thinking that maybe I could get an Ibanez for metal, since there are several Ibaanez dealers near me.

I just hate getting a refund on a Les Paul Standard Plus Top that I paid $381 for new.

Its still not really worth it. The amp is what gives you the vast majority of your sound anyway.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I would take an ltd ec or a schecter solo 6 before ever buying another epiphone les paul. Quality on schecter and ltd blow epi out pf the water. Not saying you cant find a good epi. But its like winning the lottery if you get a good one. I ordered an epi les paul 50TH anniv edition with the gibson pickups. The neck had fret buzz on first fret but was bowed in the middle damn near half inch. Took it to my local music store to see if it just needed set up. They said send it back the bow was too severe. Musicians friend sent me another one, that one something was messed up with the wiring in the pickups. The bridge sounded fine. But the neck sounded like it was was a distant echo if that makes any sense? Good thing musicians friend is easy to deal with. Said the heck with it and bought a ltd ec 400 from my local shop. Should have done that the first time...
Quote by racerfreed
I would take an ltd ec or a schecter solo 6 before ever buying another epiphone les paul. Quality on schecter and ltd blow epi out pf the water. Not saying you cant find a good epi. But its like winning the lottery if you get a good one. I ordered an epi les paul 50TH anniv edition with the gibson pickups. The neck had fret buzz on first fret but was bowed in the middle damn near half inch. Took it to my local music store to see if it just needed set up. They said send it back the bow was too severe. Musicians friend sent me another one, that one something was messed up with the wiring in the pickups. The bridge sounded fine. But the neck sounded like it was was a distant echo if that makes any sense? Good thing musicians friend is easy to deal with. Said the heck with it and bought a ltd ec 400 from my local shop. Should have done that the first time...

I'm not sure about Schecter, but there are plenty of places where I could actually try the ESP and Ibanez guitars, before I bought anything. I really liked the sound of the LP Traditional Pro. I have been reading a lot of bad stuff about Epiphone's quality control. I am currently 0/2 with them. If I get another one that needs anything more than a setup, I will most likely be looking for something else.
the first decent guitar i bought was a schecter devil spine, neck thru, mahagony body, single emg. ordered online and out of the box it was awesome. my only complaint since buying that guitar is now i know i don't care for 25.5 scale or emg's. thats when i started looking for a les paul, my ltd 400vf is great player. no complaints. i will buy more ltd's until the day comes when i don't mind dropin some mad coins on a gibson.

i like the ibanez les paul looking models. but the couple times ive seen em in my guitar center i havent been impressed with there fit/finish of the guitars? just think the binding and flame maple tops on ltd 401vf and solo 6 std or customs are much nicer pieces.
Took it to my local music store to see if it just needed set up. They said send it back the bow was too severe. Musicians friend sent me another one, that one something was messed up with the wiring in the pickups. (Invalid img)
Quote by kaiter
Took it to my local music store to see if it just needed set up. They said send it back the bow was too severe. Musicians friend sent me another one, that one something was messed up
with the wiring in the pickups. (Invalid img)

Read the next sentence. The bridge sounded amazing. What i was hoping for and more. But when i tried the neck pickup its hard to describe. Just sounded hollow, almost echo like. Was just trash. Sent it back.
Electronic issues in a guitar are really easy to fix. Granted, a new instrument should be free of these types of issues, but I fully expect on a guitar in that price range that I'll need to do some electronic work on it. What really matters is how well it's put together and how you like the feel. If the pickups suck, or something like a pot or switch doesn't work, that's a relatively cheap fix. I've had electronic issues and just fixed them myself instead of going through the hassle of sending it back and all that. If you like it, it's a worthwhile fix.
I'd be loathe to buy any guitar online, even at GC the quality and vibe of the exact same models can vary greatly. I spent hours picking out the best Epi LP+top only to get it home and find the fingerboard had been STAINED (something Epi says they only do to there 'B' stocks, which this was not). While the guitar played well, and was pretty, it took me a year of buffing the fretboard at string changes to get to the point my fingers didn't turn black from playing it. If that's what happens IN the store, it can only be a downhill ride buying online.
I did end up trading the LP, sounded OK, but no 'vibe'.
Quote by ux4484
I'd be loathe to buy any guitar online, even at GC the quality and vibe of the exact same models can vary greatly. I spent hours picking out the best Epi LP+top only to get it home and find the fingerboard had been STAINED (something Epi says they only do to there 'B' stocks, which this was not). While the guitar played well, and was pretty, it took me a year of buffing the fretboard at string changes to get to the point my fingers didn't turn black from playing it. If that's what happens IN the store, it can only be a downhill ride buying online.
I did end up trading the LP, sounded OK, but no 'vibe'.

My fingers were turning black, as well. The guitar was ordered as new, from Musicians Friend. I have played a lot of guitars -- mostly cheap ones -- and never seen this. I don't mean slightly discolored, I mean black, as in I doped them in black paint.
I think, in all honesty, anyone complaining about duds when buying a <$400 guitar unseen online is being, at best, extremely naive. The lesson for everyone here slagging off epi's QC is play guitars before you buy them!

TS, either;
a) Keep the first epi on order and invest in a replacement/second amp which will let you get the tones you want,
b) If you already have an amp which does exactly what you want, get rid of both epi's, take your ~$800 and go find something properly good on the used market. I'll give you a hint, buying used at that price, you can get an instrument versatile enough to do everything you want which will feel great and you wont have the reliability issues.
Quote by patrick2099
My fingers were turning black, as well. The guitar was ordered as new, from Musicians Friend. I have played a lot of guitars -- mostly cheap ones -- and never seen this. I don't mean slightly discolored, I mean black, as in I doped them in black paint.

...and yet the $169 Epi SG Special (pick guard + Killpot) I bought had a near perfect rosewood fretboard with NO stain. Quality at Epi is all over the Place. As PF12 states (as was I) go OUT and try THEN buy an axe.
Last edited by ux4484 at Feb 21, 2012,
Quote by Fenderexpx50
Electronic issues in a guitar are really easy to fix. Granted, a new instrument should be free of these types of issues, but I fully expect on a guitar in that price range that I'll need to do some electronic work on it. What really matters is how well it's put together and how you like the feel. If the pickups suck, or something like a pot or switch doesn't work, that's a relatively cheap fix. I've had electronic issues and just fixed them myself instead of going through the hassle of sending it back and all that. If you like it, it's a worthwhile fix.

I bought the epi 1960 tribute based on it being an epi with gibson classic 57 pickups and gibson tone and volume pots. Paid 599 after discount at musicians friend. Buying online with out playing in person i will now say yes thats naive... but i figured if i played an epi std at guitar center then this tribute could only be better. It was a total disapointment. And a $699 guitar should not have to go through electronics just to get to work correctly. Fine tune your tone sure let swap some pickups a cpl years down the road. Just to play the damn thing aint gonna happen. Ill admit it was one of the nicest looking les pauls ive seen flame maple top was beutifull. The horible sound it made was a heart breaker.

What ever you buy play it first. Find a shop that caries what your looking for and support them. They will inturn suport you with any issues later. Not to mention the heart ache of waiting on your online ordered guitar only to find a unplayable piece of crap will not be part of that equation.
I plan on playing any guitar that I buy, in the future. Unfortunately, the used martlet sucks around here.