Here's the story. I turn my Blackstar HT-5 combo on. Let it warm up for a minute. All of a sudden, I can smell something burning. Look to my amp, and lo and behold, there is smoke coming out of it. I frantically turn it off and let it cool down. I try and turn it on again and nothing happens. Not even the red light comes on.

Please help!
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
Quote by stykerwolf
well, don't go poking your finger or a pencil around, the caps will store charges and they can be lethal. Best thing to do is take it to a tech or if you know anyone who's good with electric try to replace a fuse. I highly recommend you take it to a tech to be safe

Thanks for the input.
Great. More money I need to spend that I don't have. I don't even know where any techs are around here.

None of which will work.

Good.

Quote by NakedInTheRain
you got any warranty on it? if so, time to cash it in.

I don't think there's a warranty on it. It's second hand and nearly 3 years old.

None of which will work.

Good.

Quote by Ian_the_fox
I think you bought a mislabeled Bugera.

so can we now combine the bugera and blackstar trolling?

seriously, though, that sucks. as stykerwolf says, watch you don't electrocute yourself.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

Kinda. Blackstars don't really catch real fire like Bugeras do. They use a bunch of diodes that emit light to emulate a real fire.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Kinda. Blackstars don't really catch real fire like Bugeras do. They use a bunch of diodes that emit light to emulate a real fire.

Quote by Dave_Mc

seriously, though, that sucks. as stykerwolf says, watch you don't electrocute yourself.

Fuck you guys.

I doubt there's a chance me electrocuting myself when it won't even switch on.

None of which will work.

Good.

Quote by BeefWellington

Oh, there still is.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Quote by BeefWellington
Fuck you guys.

look up what filter capacitors do
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
look up what filter capacitors do

I did. Shit.
It's not even plugged in though, but I'll still be careful. I don't like having a broken amp sitting around like this. Feels like I have a corpse in my room.

None of which will work.

Good.

yeah

edit: apparently not, you edited your post after i typed that

caps store charged (certainly the dc smoothing ones) even if turned off

don't do it. jeez.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Feb 19, 2012,
Quote by BeefWellington
I did. Shit.
It's not even plugged in though, but I'll still be careful. I don't like having a broken amp sitting around like this. Feels like I have a corpse in my room.

Yeah, but if you go routing around in there, you really will have a corpse in your room.

Quote by Ian_the_fox

Oh god, that's the funniest thing I've read in a while. I'm totally sigging that.
RIP Adam
the more i hear of these blackstar amps the more i dislike em. first i hear they are actually using solid state, then i hear about them breaking all the time.

and for the record, my bugera has been quite sturdy.
Quote by Ian_the_fox

I'll pay that.

It may not be too hard a fault to fix. Normally when there's appreciable smoke it leaves behind tell tale scorch marks. Still it will require opening it up and poking around inside, almost certainly removing the circuit board and replacing the blown component/s. Not a job for somebody that doesn't know what they are doing but probably an easy job for somebody that does.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i'd take it to a tech. hopefully you'll find someone willing to fix it.

in all honestly even if you opened it up there'd be very little you'd be able to tell from just inside the chassis.

that thing is a cluster**** inside.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
so no fire just smoke?

i am dissapoint.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
It will almost certainly be a blown resistor. The hardest part will be working out what value it was because it will be all black and unreadable. Then again, that SS phase iinverter could be the source of the smoke, they can throw out a fair bit but if it was a lot of smoke it will probably just be a blown resistor. If you replaced it and it blew again then the custer****ery would make life difficult.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by SexyLikeAPig
Yeah, but if you go routing around in there, you really will have a corpse in your room.

+1
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for the input guys.

But not for those of you ripping on Blackstar. You're mean.

There's no scorch marks. No evidence of blown resistors or anything like that, save for one tiny fuse next to the power socket that looks a little blackened.

Quote by SexyLikeAPig

Jesus, I'm not that stupid. I posted asking for help BEFORE I decided to get all gung-ho with a screwdriver and open it up.

Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah

edit: apparently not, you edited your post after i typed that

caps store charged (certainly the dc smoothing ones) even if turned off

don't do it. jeez.

I did look it up, I'm just a curious moron with a very blasé approach as to whether I get morbidly injured.

None of which will work.

Good.

Last edited by BeefWellington at Feb 19, 2012,
Quote by BeefWellington
Thanks for the input guys.

But not for those of you ripping on Blackstar. You're mean.

There's no scorch marks. No evidence of blown resistors or anything like that, save for one tiny fuse next to the power socket that looks a little blackened.

Jesus, I'm not that stupid. I posted asking for help BEFORE I decided to get all gung-ho with a screwdriver and open it up.

I did look it up, I'm just a curious moron with a very blasé approach as to whether I get morbidly injured.

Itll probably be cheaper to just buy another one used if you liked it.
Techs usually charge a $50 dollar or more bench fee then around, then around $40-50 to diagnose it, then $50-100 an hour, plus parts.

At least thats the usual rate for the techs in my area.
Luckily im good freinds with the best tech in michigan, all my works done for free.

I should add its not a bad idea to have it diagnosed or to try to figure it out yourself with help from experienced techs here like cath.
It could end up being an easy fix
Goodluck
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Last edited by themelodicdeathshow at Feb 19, 2012,
Unless it's something really obvious you will be looking at between $100 and $200 at least to get a tech to fix it. If you are going to toss it in the bin let me know and I'll pay the postage to take it off your hands. I don't actually like HT-5's but if I can fix it cheaply then at least somebody may get some use out of it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Now that we are getting into winter time, I really appreciate the heat output of the burning bugera during rehearsal time. I have found that the rocktron velocity 300 however wins everytime if you literally need proper 'fire power' and the real living flame effect :-) never again
Thank you again for all the help.
I'll take it to a music shop later and see what they say. I guess I should brace myself for the worst then. Time to go amp shopping!

Quote by Cathbard
Unless it's something really obvious you will be looking at between $100 and $200 at least to get a tech to fix it. If you are going to toss it in the bin let me know and I'll pay the postage to take it off your hands. I don't actually like HT-5's but if I can fix it cheaply then at least somebody may get some use out of it.

I'm in Wales, you're in Australia. The postage would be extortionate!

None of which will work.

Good.

Quote by BeefWellington

but the lulz would be so worth it.

can you imagine that cranky old fart bitching about the signal path?

dew eeet.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020

dew eeet.

Oh god, do it!
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Quote by BeefWellington

ahahah no worries, just don't want you to injure or kill yourself

Quote by gregs1020

dew eeet.

+1 (if you're just going to dump it)
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by BeefWellington

I have a friend that regularly travels to the UK looting the empire of antiques. I could just give you an address in England and he could bring it back next time he goes over there.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification