As I said, I'm gonna buy a guitar with a budget of around £200. Will maybe be able to stretch and add another £20-30. Now obviously I'm not going to get an amazing guitar for £200, but I've only been playing properly for around 4 months, so i'm just looking for a sort of beginner guitar, as i'll probably buy another in a year or so once i'm much better. But obviously I want to find the best in that price range.

I have no guitar stores where I live, so trying some out is out of question

I plan on playing mostly metal and rock.

The 3 guitars of I've seen are:
ESP LTD EC-50 (£197)
Ibanez GRG170DX (£199)
Schecter Omen 6 (£225)

So if you could help me choose one, or if you know of a different guitar entirely, then let me know
I'd take the Ibanez, excellent value for money.
"We're content, to pitch our tent,
When the glory's evident"
Petra - Beyond Belief.
Quote by mrozzy123fest
try a cheap^bc rich. mine was about 250 and sounds great for metal

B.C. Rich do make some lovely guitars, I love my Mockingbird, but I've heard really bad things about the low end models, Ibanez provides much better value for money IMO.
"We're content, to pitch our tent,
When the glory's evident"
Petra - Beyond Belief.
You hear a lot of bad things about any low end models, but imo, Ibanez make the best low end models I have ever played
"Dreams fucking come true!" - Myles Kennedy
Quote by Any7423
I'd take the Ibanez, excellent value for money.

As far as I heard the Fat10 Tremolo of the Ibanez GRG170DX is complete trash. Gets out of tune all the time and such.
Last edited by RaspberryPouncy at Feb 19, 2012,
£200? it has to be vintage for that money, they have some superb quality guitars out these days and I'd highly recommend checking them out before parting with your cash.
Quote by Any7423
B.C. Rich do make some lovely guitars, I love my Mockingbird, but I've heard really bad things about the low end models, Ibanez provides much better value for money IMO.

I really discourage you to buy a low end B.C Rich, they're widely considered to be some of the worst low end guitars you can get.
I've heard good things about guitar fetish's Xaviere guitars, but I don't know how metaly they get.
REGGIE
Quote by RaspberryPouncy
As far as I heard the Fat10 Tremolo of the Ibanez GRG170DX is complete trash. Gets out of tune all the time and such.

Yeah i've just been reading a bunch of reviews and apparently the FAT 10 is awful.
I played a Yamaha Pacifica for years.
It was a really solid guitar.
I think you can get them from upwards of £150 new.
They're worth checking out, as they always seem to get good reviews.
Quote by Nyakon
I played a Yamaha Pacifica for years.
It was a really solid guitar.
I think you can get them from upwards of £150 new.
They're worth checking out, as they always seem to get good reviews.

I also vote pacifica 112V, I love mine; very versatile, stays in tune, feels nice, low action and plays great, fantastic beginner guitar.

I got mine from eBay for about £60 and I have no regrets so that's something to consider! Brand new the 102 is about £160 and the 112 about £200.
I think i'm going to go with the LTD EC-50. But if i can get a spare £20-40 then I shall get the LTD MH-50.

I would've got the Ibanez GRG170DX, but after hearing bad things about the FAT 10 tremolo, I changed my mind.
Quote by Twidler
£200? it has to be vintage for that money, they have some superb quality guitars out these days and I'd highly recommend checking them out before parting with your cash.

This. They are excellent value for money.

Also try checking out Gould - I have a couple of their LP style guitars and they are just as good as any Epiphone I've played, the only difference being the Epiphones cost twice as much.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
go used man. you can get some decent for that price. like a second hand ltd.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I would take the Schecter out of those three.

While Ibanez (IMO) dominates the low end market, that doesn't start til the $300 point, with guitars like the RG321. The Gio stuff is nothing to write home about.

I have had poor experiences with low level LTD's. Bad frets, etc.. The Schecter is the safest bet, IMO.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I would take the Schecter out of those three.

While Ibanez (IMO) dominates the low end market, that doesn't start til the $300 point, with guitars like the RG321. The Gio stuff is nothing to write home about.

I have had poor experiences with low level LTD's. Bad frets, etc.. The Schecter is the safest bet, IMO.

ohh I was just saying because I am very happy with my LTD i got for $300, had to do some minor upgrades. but at this point in my playing, a couple chips or replacing some pot knobs isnt that big of a deal.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I got a used ESP LTD MH-300 for 200 euro. Really nice guitar.

Also, my bro's F-10 is nice too, and cheap ( I think they go for ~150 pound sterling). Not bad frets or anything on that one, but the fretboard wood has quite a distinctive pattern.
Last edited by rageahol at Feb 19, 2012,
Quote by rageahol
I got a used ESP LTD MH-300 for 200 euro. Really nice guitar.

right on man. I got my ltd ex-400 for $300. not the best condition. but hey. i dont mind.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I could find you something nice and it would come with a case and warranty....

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Look at Vingate guitars (the brand) I dont know how much they cost now but I got my VRS100 new for £120 4 years ago and it is better then some £500+ guitars that I have played.

Best bet is to go for a smaller brands for cheap guitars seen as the bigger brands seem to forget about the quality of cheap guitars.
My Gear:
-Guitars:
Schecter 30th Anniversary PT
Schecter V-7 Hellraiser
Schecter Demon 7 FR
Vintage VRS100
Amps:
Randall RG75 G3 Plus
I think the main issue with lower end guitars is the quality control, or lack thereof, for every lover of a GIO, Squire, bc rich, etc. there is at least a hater simply because the quality varies much more between guitars spat out of a factory.

I like my GIO, its pretty modded, but I love it. You're best bet is to go and play a ton of them and see which feels nicest to you.
Ibanez is thin and fast, ltd has good tone and is chunkier and the schecter is kinda like the Ibanez really.
I've still got my 5 year old Ibanez GRG170DX. Love that thing, would never sell it.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100