I went to Guitar Center this weekend with one of my bands and had a chance to test amps in the private room with some buds. Low and behold, there was an Egnater Vengeance with it's matching cab. We played it and got a wide range of clean, crunch, and heavy distortion out of it. I plugged into a newer 2010 Dual Rectifier for comparison and was getting cool cleans, crunch, and distortion out of it. Here are my observations.

The Mesa Boogie, while slightly loose in the distortion was not unusable at all. It only showed up in more saturated sounds and fast picking and it wasn't even an issue for less distorted rock applications. The cleans were decent (but dry) and pushed mode brought on blues and classic rock. The wattage switches were nice for getting more headroom for modern distorted sounds and cleans or for getting less headroom more bluesy and less modern endeavors. I felt like the amp was very easy to EQ, especially when the volume is brought up a bit, although some would be confused as to why their scooped mids (disgusting for any amp) and boosted bass tones sound bad. I liked the amp, but it just needed a boost to tighten up for more modern distortion tones.

On the other hand...I felt like the Egnater needed no help whatsoever on any tone. The cleans were so vibrant and lush, especially with the built in reverb. The mild breakup on the clean channel added a smooth grit that was perfect for blues. The distortion could either be tight or a little looser if you wanted. It needed no pedal to sound tight and had no problem not sounding thin and the wattage switch to go from 120 watts to 60 was great. The overtones and feedback was beautiful too. It was our favorite amp for sure. My question is...am I missing something? I thought Dual Rectifiers were awesome, and I loved the recorded and live in concert tones they had. We all just loved the Egnater while we only liked the Mesa Boogie. My ears are saying I should save up for the Egnater, but my head is saying the Boogie just needs a little help and coaxing to sound the best.

Any suggestions?
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Last edited by sg4ever at Feb 19, 2012,
2010 model? If it was used, perhaps it could use replacement tubes?

Regardless, many amps have consistency issues even within the same lots. If it was used, it could be a lemon and that's why it's already back at GC to be sold again.
well if your ears are telling you egnater then i say egnater.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
well if it makes a difference listening to any amp through videos and sound files off a computer isn't going to sound anything like it would in person unless you have a pretty expensive hi-fi station. If your gut is telling you to go for the Egnator go for it, don't just go for the Mesa because it's Mesa
That's how I feel, the more I think about it. It's just that there's just something that seems off logically in my head, because I would always hear people who use a well tweaked Mesa Boogie and think "that's a high gain sound, I'd like to use for some of my stuff". Then the Vengeance came along and sounded awesome for my stuff and the head and cab together cost even less than some great heads will cost by themselves. I just couldn't help feeling like I'm perhaps not giving the Mesa enough of a chance.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
You know the answer already. You want the Egnater and won't be happy until you get it. Save your pennies.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by iheartgun
well if your ears are telling you egnater then i say egnater.

/thread
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X