I have a Crate G412ST cabinet in near-mint condition. It has just a couple spots of small, almost invisible cosmetic damage.
It's like this one:

The 4 x 12" cabinet comes with a more compact measuring than the standard cabinets. It fits easy on the back seat.
Crate's special speaker providing fat bass, assertive mids and extra fine highs - a right mixture, all sound-varieties 100% produced by the top coming up front.

Features:
- compact 4 x 12" guitar cabinet
- straight front
- 120 watts, 8 Ohms
- 2 x jacks
- mono mode
- metal grille
- Crate speakers
- dimensions: Width 68,6 x Height 68,6 x Depth 35,6 cm
- weight: 24,6 kg

I really like the tone i get from it, but i've been thinking for a while about downsizing into a 2x12", easier to move around and with a smaller visual impact on my room.

Now, a local instrument shop is offering me a value of 250€ for it.
And they would order a brand-new Laney GS212IE cab for me.
It's this one:

Features:
- 160 watts mono @ 16 Ohms, 2 x 80 watts stereo @ 8 Ohms
- Switchable impedance to 8 or 16 Ohms
- 2 x Celestion Seventy 80's speakers
- Straight baffle
- Custom-designed plywood cabinet optimised for use with GH100L, GH50L and VH100R valve heads
- Chrome corners, Ergonomic grip handles
- Dimensions: Width 71,5 x Height 35,8 x Depth 45,5 cm
- Weight: 20 kg

My questions are:
Should i accept the offer? Is it worth it, or should i keep the Crate?
What kind of changes to my tone can i expect?

I'm afraid to make the trade, and then miss the tone and the sound projection of the Crate 4x12"...
And i can't test the Laney 2x12" before, the store will only order it if i want to buy it.

Thoughts?

EDIT:
Also, i don't know if the Celestion Seventy 80's speakers will suit my needs...
I play in an indie/alternative rock (with a bit of post-rock as well) band. Are those Celestions better for these genres than the Crate speakers?
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Feb 19, 2012,
Pesonaly I would swap, but it is ultimatly up to you.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I would
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
70/80s are pretty rubbish, frankly.

i mean the laney might be a better cab (no idea, i haven't tried the crate, but it sounds pretty lightweight for a 4x12), but you'd ideally want to swap the speakers. might be cheaper to just get a cab which already has good speakers.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
the crate stock speakers arent bad at all IMO. the cab alsmo might be a little better constructed then the laney, i would just go for a speaker swap if anything
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by Robbgnarly
Pesonaly I would swap, but it is ultimatly up to you.

Quote by JagerSlushy
I would

Could you please elaborate the reasons?
Also, can you answer any of my questions on the OP?

Quote by Dave_Mc
70/80s are pretty rubbish, frankly.

i mean the laney might be a better cab (no idea, i haven't tried the crate, but it sounds pretty lightweight for a 4x12), but you'd ideally want to swap the speakers. might be cheaper to just get a cab which already has good speakers.

A friend of mine used to have a 2x12" cab with one V30 and one Seventy 80, and he said it's one of the best cabs he ever heard... Only second to his 4x12" Mesa Recto cab full of V30s.

The reviews on the Seventy 80's seem pretty mixed -- a "love it or hate it" kind of thing.
But i was kinda relying on my friend's advice, and even if i wasn't 100% satisfied, i was thinking i could swap one of the speakers for a V30 and get that mixed tone that he speaks so highly of.

But you always give good advice, and you're saying they're pretty rubbish... So i'm getting second thoughts...

Quote by EspTro
the crate stock speakers arent bad at all IMO. the cab alsmo might be a little better constructed then the laney, i would just go for a speaker swap if anything

I wouldn't swap the speakers on the Crate, i like their sound.
As i said in the OP, the problem is the size of the Crate...

I'll keep it if this isn't a good deal, but it seems like this deal is the best i could get.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
bear in mind it's a while since i've tried them. aside from a laney vc30 (where they sounded alright) i was never much fussed.

there's that rivera speaker shootout on youtube. the 70/80 is in it. if you ask me it got shown up pretty severely.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
there's that rivera speaker shootout on youtube. the 70/80 is in it. if you ask me it got shown up pretty severely.

I've watched that shootout, and i agree that it lacked the brightness and clarity of the V30, for example... But it didn't sound bad to me, at all.

Also, there's the whole aesthetics department... The GS212IE matches perfectly my Laney head, while the Crate seems a bit "out of place", if you know what i mean.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Look into the Harley Benton 2x12. Comes stock with V30s. But V30s may not be what you're looking for if you've already got a Laney. Which head is this?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by Linkerman
(a) I've watched that shootout, and i agree that it lacked the brightness and clarity of the V30, for example... But it didn't sound bad to me, at all.

(b) Also, there's the whole aesthetics department... The GS212IE matches perfectly my Laney head, while the Crate seems a bit "out of place", if you know what i mean.

(a) i thought it sounded very brittle. the kind of sound that can make a good amp sound bad, frankly. but if you liked it, that's fair enough.

(b) no worries.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What you need is a van and a trolley.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire