Hey I was wondering if there would be any nasty side effects to running an 8 ohm extension cabinet with my Hot Rod DeVille. The manual says that the extension speaker jack needs to be connected with a 4 Ohm load, but I've heard that you can still run an 8 ohm cabinet although it will be less efficient than matching impedances. I just want to make sure I won't fry anything needlessly before I try it...

Thank You
Gretsch 5120
Fender Jazzmaster
MIM Fender Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
Misc Pedals
Last edited by stratomaster123 at Feb 19, 2012,
what it means is you can add another 8 ohm speaker load to make 4 ohms total that is safe to run. Do not hook a 4 ohm load to that it will drop the load to under 40homs total.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
hhhhmmm...are you sure? i have a diagram that says I can either leave the stock 4 ohm speakers connected, add a 4 ohm load in addition to the stock 4 ohm load the speakers provide, or put a blank tip into the main speaker out and only run a 2 Ohm load out of the external speaker jack, which is wired in parallel to the main speaker jack.
Gretsch 5120
Fender Jazzmaster
MIM Fender Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Misc Pedals
if your manual says thats the case then you should be fine. I don't have any experence with your model fender .
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Fender’s manual is a bit confusing because it doesn’t mention the 410 specifically but the way I read this, you always leave the internal speakers connected-period. Add an 8 ohm extension cab if you have a 410 model. Add a 4 ohm extension cab if you have the 212 Deville. If you trust common practice, for the 212, an 8 ohm extension shouldn’t hurt anything in the amp even though Fender advises that a 4 ohm extension load "must" be used and is optimal.

From the Manual:
C. MAIN SPEAKER - This is the main plug-in connection to the speakers and must always be used as their primary connection.

D. EXTERNAL SPEAKER - Plug-in connection for an external speaker. This jack is wired in parallel with the main speaker jack and must ONLY be used in conjunction with the main speaker jack. If this jack is used without the main speaker jack, there will
be no sound. The external speaker jack must be used with an 8 ohm speaker enclosure for the Hot Rod DeVille. When used with the Hot Rod DeVille 212, a 4 ohm speaker enclosure must be used. Under this configuration, the resulting speaker load will be optimum for full power.
EBMM JP6, EBMM Bongo Bass 5-string, Heritage H140CM, ESP Tele Copy, ESP P-Bass Copy, ESP Maverick, Fender HM Strat, Ibanez ST-55, Epiphone Broadway, Taylor 310, Seagull S-12, Musicman Sixty-Five Reverb, Fender HRD, Ampeg B-25B
Thank you very much!! All I needed was that little extra bit of assurance.
Gretsch 5120
Fender Jazzmaster
MIM Fender Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Misc Pedals