Imagine, if you will, how awesome it would be to have anyone who asked a question that gets asked twice per hour redirected to a FAQ (frequently answered questions) page.

No more:

"Hi i have (insert # between 100 - 1000) to spend and i like metal"

"What are some good songs for drop (insert A, A#, B, C, C# or D. no D#, half step down isn't hardcore enough) tuning?"

"what gauge strings do metal players use?"

"my frets are buzzing and my intonation is off"

"so, like, are EMG's good for metal?"

Not only would that device reduce the amount of useless, 1 page threads, it would also put an end to the equally as annoying replies to the threads.

"You should get an agile, man, it's totally solid wood and sounds better than most gibsons"

"Whatever feels good to you"

"Don't buy a new guitar, what you really need is a new amp. No, not a line 6 spider, those are crap. Get a bugera"

I know that all of these questions are relevant to electric guitars but there should really be a forum, or preset list of answers for these types of questions so that the meaningful discussions aren't drowned by a sea of polls and misplaced google inquiries.

That's my rant of the day. Thanks for reading.
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
"Whatever feels good to you" is actually a better thing to say then "get an LTD, I hate Gibsons".

And Line 6 Spiders are in fact crap.

Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Computer analysis of well-formed natural language is one of the hardest things to do in CS, factor in to that the horrific grammar of people who post on the internet and it becomes more or less impossible to do.

If you want the tool then you code it, I don't think anyone else has the time or money to make it work...

Also: if you take out all of those kinds of threads this forum would be basically dead
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Feb 19, 2012,
we already tried that in the stickies and it didn't work. the kind of person who posts an inane thread probably isn't going to read the stickies first. Plus it was a herculean task, not to mention it's almost out of date before you even get it posted as new gear is introduced all the time.

put it like this, it's no accident the darn thing hasn't been updated in years.

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Also: if you take out all of those kinds of threads this forum would be basically dead

also that
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
to be honest i'd rather have an "almost dead" forum full of topics that have substance than a forum full of search function failures and independent decision making phobias.

I can understand that UG wants to generate as much traffic as possible, but honestly i'd be surprised if 1% of the site's traffic comes from its forums.

I mean come on...even google has auto predict. before you're even half way done typing it's like "wait. stop right there. I know what you're going to ask. here's the answer. just shut up and quit wasting my time"
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
a sarcastic reply from someone who has a FAQ link in his signature.

awesome.
Quote by stepchildusmc
You know, I was being serious when I said I wasn't trying to be an ass.

What I'm saying is, if you're not getting your kicks from a forum, and think you know how it should be done, go make it happen!
Alternatively, go and roam the rest of UG-forums, because there's a lot of interesting and entertaining stuff around.

As said, this part of UG would be dead if it weren't for these threads, so why don't you just consider this part of the forums 'not relevant to my interests'?

Also, what's wrong with my signature-links?
Last edited by Y00p at Feb 19, 2012,
If i thought there was any point in trying to compete with UG at this point in the game I would, but in the 15 years it would take to accumulate enough tabs tutorials reviews and users to have to worry about too many dumb questions SOPA will have found a way to shut down the internet.

there's nothing wrong with your signature links, in fact I approve of them...it just struck me as ironic that you would have an answer waiting in anticipation to the question that hasn't yet been asked, but yet you give me a "if you don't like it leave" type of answer.
Quote by stepchildusmc
yeah... i mean it depends on the question. some the forum probably would be better without, granted.

just it's a lot more work than it appears on the surface. i went in all big guns and then realised what i'd got myself in for

the other problem is the longer it is, the less likely it is to be read, so it's a balancing act. (probably matters less if you can write a program to search for you, but i know i can't )

also i almost pissed myself at your sig (the capitalisation bit)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Feb 19, 2012,
Quote by mike_oxbig
If i thought there was any point in trying to compete with UG at this point in the game I would, but in the 15 years it would take to accumulate enough tabs tutorials reviews and users to have to worry about too many dumb questions SOPA will have found a way to shut down the internet.

there's nothing wrong with your signature links, in fact I approve of them...it just struck me as ironic that you would have an answer waiting in anticipation to the question that hasn't yet been asked, but yet you give me a "if you don't like it leave" type of answer.

dude. how can you already be frustrated with the repeat questions?

give it another 7 yrs and let me know...

^ dave knows what i mean.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by Dave_Mc
also i almost pissed myself at your sig (the capitalisation bit)

haha thanks...it's a really old quote, but stepchildUSMC's reply to it was kinda hilarious i thought
Quote by stepchildusmc
haha yeah

and yeah i know what you mean, jenny
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by jj1565

I know, i've only been here 3 months and i'm already annoyed with them. I can just imagine how the people that have been around for years feel.
Quote by stepchildusmc
Quote by mike_oxbig
I know, i've only been here 3 months and i'm already annoyed with them. I can just imagine how the people that have been around for years feel.

i think you're posting in too many threads then.

just post when you feel like, or can actually answer the question.

if it's a setup question, then link them to the QnA, and i'll answer it for them.

faqs can be confusing for new guys. they like it better when someone walks them thru
an adjustment.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by mike_oxbig
I mean come on...even google has auto predict. before you're even half way done typing it's like "wait. stop right there. I know what you're going to ask. here's the answer. just shut up and quit wasting my time"

Not even vaguely the same. Autocomplete looks at what's there and gets the most statistically used responses that start that way.

A bot to answer questions would mean looking at what's in the post and determining the actual question that needs to be asked then getting an answer based on that. That requires much more than just statistical analysis of what's there, it's why things like cleverbot come up with some weird as hell answers sometimes.

Like I said, if you want to do the coding for something that, last time I checked, has yet to be done at all be my guest.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I was thinking more of something that popped up during the typing of the thread title which would inform the poster that there's already an answer to his question so asking again is redundant. there's enough collective knowledge posted here that almost any "how to" question shouldn't need to be asked, people should just have to look.

Even a bot would be relatively easy to make though, it's not like you can't pinpoint the problem and thus a solution using the process of elimination and a couple questions. that stupid little paperclip helper that MS word has had since windows 97 would be the basic idea.

Quote by stepchildusmc
I don't understand how that would help at all. That's essentially the function of the search bar, and we all know that doesn't work.

And what are the chances that someone is going to put in enough keywords to bring up a relevant result? It's easier to just deal with cases on a base by base basis.

Also, there are way more lurkers here than users. When we have an active community, even if the posts are "less than intelligent", there's a far bigger chance that someone lurking will be able to learn something, which is really what UG is all about. Having a dead, automated forum really defeats the purpose of this even being a forum.

EDIT: Also, you've only been here for a couple months. Sit back, relax and watch.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Feb 19, 2012,
I think you left out one important part of posing those redundant questions. People like to feel like they are having a "live" conversation. Let's face it, most of the questions are answered and available on the net without a "forum".
11'ers gonna 11.

Apple already done it for us. Ask Siri.
"This is Sierra-259, you got Spartans on the ground, sir. We're not going anywhere."

Fender Partscaster

Vox AC4TV

Korg Pitchblack Tuner
TC Electronics Nova Repeater
Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi
MXR Micro Amp
EH Holy Grail Reverb
i don't see a problem with the same topics repeated. it breaths in life to the forum. yes the question may be asked 5 times, but with the amount of views on the page a lot of people can learn, that aren't OP. i have done CL deals with people (not knowing anything about them), mentioning a form that they haven't joined and just randomly read.

point is: other people learn things than the OP.

however a lot of us do know, if you don't want to read it, don't click on it.

also if you don't want to see as many beginner posts, try rig talk. they are a lot less active though. i go back and fourth once in a while. i don't post there all that much.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Feb 20, 2012,
Quote by mike_oxbig
Imagine, if you will, how awesome it would be to have anyone who asked a question that gets asked twice per hour redirected to a FAQ (frequently answered questions) page.

No more:

Not only would that device reduce the amount of useless, 1 page threads, it would also put an end to the equally as annoying replies to the threads.

I know that all of these questions are relevant to electric guitars but there should really be a forum, or preset list of answers for these types of questions so that the meaningful discussions aren't drowned by a sea of polls and misplaced google inquiries.

That's my rant of the day. Thanks for reading.

that would eliminate the need for this forum beyonf NGD's...
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Quote by jj1565

word sister
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Offworld92

Also, there are way more lurkers here than users. When we have an active community, even if the posts are "less than intelligent", there's a far bigger chance that someone lurking will be able to learn something, which is really what UG is all about. Having a dead, automated forum really defeats the purpose of this even being a forum.

point is: other people learn things than the OP.

that's also a good point (both of you made more or less the same one)
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?