I'm going to be playing Nirvana's version of The Man Who Sold The World at school, friday after next. I've been practicing over the past couple weeks, I got the lyrics down, and I got the chords down. I've only sang Mic'd once, and I find my voice to be a bit better than when I don't have a mic (And I think I have a pretty godawful singing voice). Is this all in my head, or does a mic affect the sound of your voice. Is it just the volume that makes it sound better? Or what?

Jesus Doesn't Want Me For A Sunbeam

^The 'Jesus Doesn't Want Me For A Sunbeam' cover I recorded^

Just to give an idea of what I sound like singing Nirvana
So you have a crappy singing voice? Kurt did, Jimi did. Did it stop them?
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Yes different mics can affect the way your voice sounds just like micing with a guitar or amp with a condenser mic or dynamic mic in a studio and its placement will affect the sound and recording quality. However if you are a shit singer then yes micing you up will most likely just make you sound worse..... only a vocoder can save you now.
Currently, it seems like your biggest problem of singing through a microphone is that your voice sounds boomy and somewhat unintelligible.

What I noticed right off from your cover is it looks like you are putting your mouth directly against the microphone when you are singing. Try backing up from the mic and even positioning the mic at different angles to get different sounds.

Pointing the mic more upward will capture more of a nasal sound, while pointing it lower will capture more of a chest tone. Also, if you have any means of placing effects on your mic, you might try using a compressor to get a more even volume level and some reverb to help make your vocals sound less dry.

Finally, try recording yourself when making these different changes in your mic positioning and listen to them. Somewhere along the way you are going to find a position that you thinks sounds best to you.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
You will always be able to tell if it is your voice, microphones will be able to bring clarity to your voice, but that's about as much improvement you'll get. If you mumble, it'll always sound like a mumble for example. It may have been the situation, you may have been singing louder and pushing your voice a bit more, I think I have an awful voice but belting it out seems to make it a little more acceptable.
you always sound different than what you think you do. This goes for normal speaking without a mic (so its the same with singing), You can't change it, the how people work
Want Sub-Forums For GB&C, CLICK and Comment to Help the Right People Notice.
Quote by Xeron Brigs
Currently, it seems like your biggest problem of singing through a microphone is that your voice sounds boomy and somewhat unintelligible.

What I noticed right off from your cover is it looks like you are putting your mouth directly against the microphone when you are singing. Try backing up from the mic and even positioning the mic at different angles to get different sounds.

Pointing the mic more upward will capture more of a nasal sound, while pointing it lower will capture more of a chest tone. Also, if you have any means of placing effects on your mic, you might try using a compressor to get a more even volume level and some reverb to help make your vocals sound less dry.

Finally, try recording yourself when making these different changes in your mic positioning and listen to them. Somewhere along the way you are going to find a position that you thinks sounds best to you.

Yeah, re-watching that cover, I noticed that too. But hey thanks, I'll trying moving the microphone around a bit and listening to where it sounds the best