I'm looking to buy my first electric! I don't know much about electric guitars so can I get some advice?
I can spend around 300-350 on the guitar. As for the music I'm interested in, I like Satriani, Andy Timmons, Eric Johnson, David Gilmour, Neil Zaza, etc. I've also been listening to a lot of blues lately.
I'd prefer to buy new, but I'm fine with buying used if the guitar is near-mint. I don't think a locking trem would be a good idea for me.

How are these?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/axl-badwater-usa-sro-electric-guitar
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/yamaha-pac212v-quilted-maple-top-electric-guitar
http://www.rondomusic.com/st802mn3ts.html

And is it the general consensus that the Roland Microcube is a good starting amp? I live in a dorm so I'm looking for something small.
Thanks
Last edited by SimplyLuo at Feb 19, 2012,
you could grab a used fender strat.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
And is it the general consensus that the Roland Microcube is a good starting amp? I live in a dorm so I'm looking for something small.

I can't speak to the Cube, but if your concern is disturbing others, I wouldn't get an amp at all.

Unless you plan on playing with others, get something like a Korg Pandora, Line6 POD, or Tascam GT-R1 and some good headphones. Portable devices like this will let you jam anywhere, anytime, almost completely quietly. They all have features like metronomes, tuners, and a variety of amp/pedal emulators, plus other things like removable recording drives, phrase trainers, or computer connectivity.

There are also apps that let you do similar (but more limited) things on your iPad/iPod Touch/iPhone or Android devices.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
the pacifica would probably work, if you don't need the maple top you could probably save a little by going with the 112

microcube would work too. or maybe the vox mini3 (up to you, they're both decent)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I can't speak to the Cube, but if your concern is disturbing others, I wouldn't get an amp at all.

Unless you plan on playing with others, get something like a Korg Pandora, Line6 POD, or Tascam GT-R1 and some good headphones. Portable devices like this will let you jam anywhere, anytime, almost completely quietly. They all have features like metronomes, tuners, and a variety of amp/pedal emulators, plus other things like removable recording drives, phrase trainers, or computer connectivity.

There are also apps that let you do similar (but more limited) things on your iPad/iPod Touch/iPhone or Android devices.

Hmm that's a really good idea. I did just get some nice headphones. Do you think the Pocket Pod would be good enough?

Quote by Dave_Mc
the pacifica would probably work, if you don't need the maple top you could probably save a little by going with the 112

Is the 212 the same thing as the 112v but with a different top then?
I would rather get an interface and play directly through the computer with a good VST than buy a Pocket Pod, to be honest.
Squier Classic Vibe '50s strat

I'd also go with something like a Fender vibrochamp over a Roland microcube
Last edited by al112987 at Feb 20, 2012,
For an amplifer, get a Peavy Vyper, either a 15w or a 30w to start of with.

Out of those three you showed, get the Pacifica.
Its got a bridge humbucker which gives better tone when doing chunky rhythyms (more metal or rock but you should be prepared), and it's got a middle and neck single coil for your more bluesy tones.

I would agree locking tremelos arent good as you cant change tunings.
METAL!
Hmm that's a really good idea. I did just get some nice headphones. Do you think the Pocket Pod would be good enough?

Yeah, sure! Still, check out a few devices to make sure you get one with the features you want/need.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by I K0nijn I
I would rather get an interface and play directly through the computer with a good VST than buy a Pocket Pod, to be honest.

That does have it's advantages, I agree.

But PODs, Pandoras, and so forth are a little more portable. They'll fit in a guitar case, for instance, and many such devices can attach to your belt or guitar strap.

You can get a Vox direct-in mini amp for $40 that will sound very realistic. It's about the size of a candy bar.

There's even a "Metal" one that does a fairly impressive Mesa rectified sound. I was damn impressed for such a simple little tool (granted it's nothing to write Mom about, but come on, it's $40!)

...that's a place to start DI-wise.

As for an axe look for a Mexican strat. American strats are expensivo! Asian strats or "squiers" are complete crap - little more than toys, or something to smash on stage!!

Mexi strats aren't too bad, though, and they come in the few-hundred dollar range new. ($400 maybe?) Haven't checked in a while.

They are built well enough that if anything is wrong, say fret buzz or a bad tuning peg, then it's worth fixing. Chances are something will need adjusting, but so what?

After a few adjustments or finding the right set of strings for it, etc, you'll have a nice instrument for life!
Quote by SimplyLuo

Is the 212 the same thing as the 112v but with a different top then?

i think so, but i'm not certain. i've only tried the 112v. it's always possible a little more care etc. is put into the 212.

Quote by Ultraussie

Out of those three you showed, get the Pacifica.
Its got a bridge humbucker which gives better tone when doing chunky rhythyms (more metal or rock but you should be prepared), and it's got a middle and neck single coil for your more bluesy tones.

+1

for stuff like timmons and satch you need that bridge humbucker. but you still have the middle and neck singles to do a decent EJ and gilmour type of tone, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have a pacifica 112, I have been playing for 7 months and am still really liking this guitar. It stays in tune, is easy to play and feels well made. I bought mine really cheap from eBay.

I have a Fender Mustang I amp and would recommend it. Justin from Justinguitar.com has a really in depth review on his site. I use it with headphones when I am worried about noise.
I second the VST idea or the Mustang for amps.

Personally, I'd go with the Yamaha. I'm not too familiar with the other brands, but the Yamaha has a humbucker in the bridge, which you'll need to get that Andy Timmons sound.
You won't regret getting the Pacifica 112v (or 212 as it's the same thing), I sold mine two days ago and I'm already planning to get another one asap, this time a 212 with a different finish (or even a 611hfm if I find a good used one). Honestly you will not find better in that price range and I've tried a shitload of dirty cheap guitars in several guitar stores, you know even the stock pups on the Pacifica are very good (with the exception of the bridge humbucker which is nothing special) and in that price range is kind of a blessing, I'm astounded it's so cheap, really.
Last edited by francesco18 at Feb 20, 2012,
Thanks for the advice everyone, I really appreciate it. I just got a pretty awesome deal on the Pacifica 112v
Now I just have to figure out what to plug it into. I'm liking the idea of going into an interface and using VSTs. I could also use the interface with my mic to record my solo acoustic stuff, which is my main genre. Any suggestions for a USB interface? The Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 looks pretty tempting...
Would I get latency issues with this kind of set-up though?
Quote by al112987
Squier Classic Vibe '50s strat

I'd also go with something like a Fender vibrocham(Invalid img)p over a Roland microcube

I'd also go with something like a Fender vibrochamp over a Roland