Apologies for starting yet another "amp help" thread, but I've just spent a couple of hours reading relevant threads and still need some guidance.

I play in a hard rock/metal covers band (Metallica, Ozzy, Zakk, ACDC, GnR, etc). I use EMG81/85 loaded guitars and currently use an Engl Screamer 50W combo (mostly on high gain with boosted mids and cut treble setting, it's very bright sounding). The band has taken off and being the only guitarist, I need a little more stage presence, both tone and appearance, than a (albeit great) small 1x12 combo. So I'm after a new all valve head and cab, I'm in Europe (UK), and budget is around GBP1000. I'd happily consider new or used. I prefer not to use effects pedals other than a wah. If I had to choose an artist's tone I like to emulate, it would be Zakk Wylde. The array of Marshall models and very differing reviews is perplexing; any help appreciated!

Thanks.
For most of those, your best bet is probably a 1980s JCM 800 2203 or 2204 with an overdrive pedal, but say goodbye to clean cleans. You could also take a look at the Vintage Modern amps.

Why does it have to be a Marshall, though? You could find something similar, more suitable, and for less or comparable money these days.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
If you live in the US I'd say the correct answer would be Splawn Quickrod.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I have a JVM410h and it's great and very versatile. Loads of gain on hand if you want it.

I'd take a look at that or a JCM800 of some sort.
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
And the green troll makes his scheduled appearance.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
laney vh100r, maybe?

engl blackmore?

marshall jvm would work at a pinch (or if you want to do it the more vintage way, a jcm800 or something like that as everyone's been saying)

koch multitone

is your budget bang-on £1000 or is it flexible? does the budget need to cover a cab, too?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Laney VH100, Marshall DSL100, Marshall JVM. I don't know how prices work over there, but from what I understand British stuff is way cheaper? Anyway, those are the main three I recommend you check out.

JCM800 is great, but it's kind of a terrible choice for a cover band.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
yea, a single channel JCM800 should work well. Add an overdrive pedal for that little push over the cliff, and a chorus pedal to help make your cleans more ....."interesting". From there, you can control a lot of your tone with your volume knob. I play different guitars than you though so results may vary.
yo gutch
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
+1 to the suggestion for more cabs as opposed to the new rig...this is provided you can hook your combo up to another cab. If that isn't the case then I vote JVM.

What can a 2203 do that ^ can't do better?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by darkwolf291
Why?
Almost every band he named used JCM800's at one point or another.

Maybe, but I bet that those bands didn't use a JCM800 exclusively during those times. The JCM800 has no clean channel to speak of. If TS only plays dirty, then the JCM800 is a good suggestion. But seeing as he's in a cover band, I think that only having a JCM800 would be a bad idea.

EDIT: There's also the issue that the 800 is a single channel, so switching between cleans and the kind of dirt that amp is known for is virtually impossible.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Feb 23, 2012,
If he's after a 800 sound surely one of the two channel Laney AOR's would be a better bet?

If you could find one of course.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Thanks for everyone's advice. Thinking I'll stick with the Engl Screamer combo and add a cab; but have the opportunity to get my hands on a well priced Peavey 6505 2x12. Given that I'm in a hard rock/metal covers band; what's the general consensus; Engl Screamer Combo with 1x12 cab underneath or Peavey 6505 2x12? Thanks for the help!
up to you, really, they both sound different. for really brutal stuff i'd probably rather have a 6505... for more versatility i'd probably rather have a screamer.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd probably rather have a Screamer than a 6505 for what you said you play in the OP.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
+1 to a 410H. By FAR my favorite Marshall. Plenty of gain, fantastic tone, very versatile. You can find them for like $1000 used, which is a great price for such a good amp.
Quote by Ghostmaker
+1 to a 410H. By FAR my favorite Marshall. Plenty of gain, fantastic tone, very versatile. You can find them for like $1000 used, which is a great price for such a good amp.

wouldn't sound nearly as good as the Splawn Pro Mod i bought for $1050 i have had it for two years, and its the best middle high gain amp i have owned, other than the Nitro but that is a little more modern sounding high gain. also quick rods are in that ballpark used sometimes as well.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Well I went with the Peavey 6505 212; what an animal. Best decision I've made in a long time, and bargain of the year! Thanks for everyone's advice!
Obvious answer in my opinion is a DSL50/100 or a JVM. Versatile enough to cover all those eras of rock bands, maintain a really nice clean sound, and just sound great overall. I love my DSL100.
Quote by drslackbladder
Well I went with the Peavey 6505 212; what an animal. Best decision I've made in a long time, and bargain of the year! Thanks for everyone's advice!

Good luck transporting it. I had a 5150 212 for a while. Because of that amp, I have sworn to never own a 212 combo again.

It is a complete beast though. That amp really just kicks you in the balls in a way very very few amps can.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Cathbard

What can a 2203 do that ^ can't do better?

I highly doubt you'll find one in the UK for your budget, but the QR is amazing
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate