So I'm exaggerating a bit, but my problem is that I have had a this guitar for a while now and my tolerance for my difficulty of play on this guitar has near reached its threshold.

On my Eric Clapton Signature Model Martin guitar I feel like the string tension is too high. Perhaps that is the problem, and how to to adjust it?

I can compare my +/- $2500 Martin to my $300 Ibanez Acoustic, and the Ibanez is way more enjoyable to play(disregarding the sound of course). My ability to play on my Ibanez is way better as my speed and overall technique is leaps and bounds better too. I conclude that it might not be my playing, but the Martin that may be the problem. (bear in mind this is conclusive after experimenting with all reasonable string gauges too)

I understand that a truss rod can help alter the action, but can it alter the string tension too? Would altering the truss rod be the solution, or might you recommend an alternative solution?

Thank you everyone!

- Alex
A-mart
Take the guitar to a professional and have it set up correctly.

No really.......

Ibanez ships with an "acoustic light" string set. D'Addario EXP-16 (.012 to .053).

Your Martin might have strings as thick as "Medium, (.013 to .056).

A guitar which is more resonant, (which your Martin certainly should be), will require more pressure to sustain a note. This is because more energy feeds back from the body, into the strings.

All of that notwithstanding, take the guitar to a professional and have it set up properly.

DO NOT F*** WITH THE TRUSS ROD YOURSELF.

Was there any part of that last statement that was ambiguous or inaccessible to you?

If so, please post back any questions about it, and I'll copy and paste it into my next reply, so you'll have another opportunity to "wrap your head around it". (So to speak).

This is the proper procedure for setting up an acoustic guitar: http://thbecker.net/guitar_playing/guitars_and_setup/setup_page_01.html Yes, all seven pages.
Thanks for the advice. I have no problem taking my Martin to a professional for adjustments. At the same time discussing potential solutions helps me be more aware of how to take care of my guitars and learn more about guitars in general.

Thanks for the link too.
A-mart
Usually, lowering the action of an acoustic will offer a world of difference.

The only thing that's involved here is sanding down the bridge saddle. If you screw that up, you get a do over, albeit with a time, effort, and money spent interlude.

Mr Becker explains how to do that in some depth, (Pg 5). It's the only part of the setup, that you should undertake as a beginner.

We get to many "experts" coming through this forum that post, "adjust the truss rod to lower the action". It's the quickest way to ruin the neck of your guitar. But then, the guitar doesn't belong to these "experts", so why should they care?

Anyway, good luck, and you're welcome.
Quote by stratplyr01
Thanks for the advice. I have no problem taking my Martin to a professional for adjustments. At the same time discussing potential solutions helps me be more aware of how to take care of my guitars and learn more about guitars in general.

Thanks for the link too.

i've got a lot of guitars, and my martin was the hardest to fret
and get "used to". i hated it on and off for the first year.

gradually, i changed my techniques over the years.
adjusted how i play, the guitar strap height, and how i place my fingers
depending on which guitar i choose for the night,

and now, i enjoy the martin as much as my taylor.
Even tho the taylor has a much lower action,
i love the martin's acoustic tones.

you can swap to a lighter gauge and post back if you pick up fret buzz.
swapping one string at a time.

just know that sometimes, acoustic guitars play better with factory suggested gauges.

either way, i can help you if you want.
i'm in the EG section daily, in the set up QnA.

been running that thread for years.
green link in my sig.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
as Captaincranky says, a setup is what you need.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Indeed. And it takes place at both ends. Both nut and saddle must be adjusted. For most new players, playing in or around the "first position", the nut adjustment is far more critical and directly affects playing ease.
And it needs to be done by someone who knows what they're doing and has the right tools.