Simple question, do you think boutique plectrums (brossard, gravity, v, etc.) are worth the extra cash
I think so. I've been using v picks since June of 2010, and have been on the same 5 screamers since about december of 2010.
personally, the brass teckpick I am using now is really good, sounds really punchy, with good overtones, but slides too much wen I pick.
Depends. Are you accomplished enough to recognize the difference between a boutique and typical production pick? Not trying to be sarcastic, but chances are, you'll never notice the difference. Look at all the top musicians who use regular ol' Fender and Dunlop picks. There's a reason why they sell so many.

They work.
It's a pick I use whatever feels good and doesn't slip out of my fingers.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
my fave is the white X-H dunlop that is so hard to find in my area, been playing about a year btw, just wondering if they were worth it.
Try them and find out. I mean, they aren't going to make you a better player. Just use what's most comfortable for you.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Govan swears by some twenty dollar pick but he was a great player before he began using it, too.
comfort is huge, not just in your fingers but how the spahe and size of the pick suits how you play.

how i do think pick material makes a good difference in tone IF you listen for it. the nobody will tell that you changed your pick of course, but every little thing in the chain right?

i noticed some harder or thicker stiff picks give a slightly brighter sparkle and softer plastic picks like delrin are slightly more mellow . I primarily use dunlop stubbys and small dava picks. both are fine, the stubbys are a tad brighter because they are a much harder and slicker plastic.

i use a quarter sometimes too - adds a shimmer and a fit of a fuzz effect because its metal on metal and the ridges on the edge can scrape the windings in the strings and give a slightly grittier sound.
Picks are pretty much picks when it comes down to it. The differences they make will probably only ever be known to you when it comes down to your tone, but it's what you think of your tone that matters. My advice is that if you like a pick and it feels comfortable to you and is helping you to produce the sound you want, then that's the pick you should use.

For example, I like thicker picks. I usually stick to Dunlop Gator Grip 2mm picks, except when I'm playing on an acoustic with an old set of strings. Then, I like to use a cymbal brass pick I have because it breathes a little life back into the strings.
Quote by Jyrgen
Govan swears by some twenty dollar pick but he was a great player before he began using it, too.

It's a Red Bear pick IIRC. Before that, I think he used Dunlop Jazz III XL's.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
How many picks do you lose during a show?

How much did you get paid for the show?

Probably not going to load up the Mic Stand Pick Holder with $50 worth of picks.

I will stick with my 30 cent Dunlops.

Might use something expensive in the studio, but I tend to practice with the exact same gear that I play live with.
Last edited by Quintex at Feb 20, 2012,
Not if there's other stuff (in your righ) that you can upgrade.
I mean, if you're all built, set and ready to go, sure, getting boutique picks might be fun and the icing on the cake of your tone. But if you wanna try a lot of them, they're gonna cost a lot, which you could use somewhere else in your rig, probably for greater benefit.
I use a few picks exclusively... a V-Pick 'switchblade' and various Timber Tones (wood picks). Haven't returned to regular picks since.