Hey guys, so I've been debating for awhile whether or not to refinish my flat black Jackson SLSMG. I want to have it be a natural finish, but the challenge I face is that its a neck-thru. Also, I REALLY like the finish that's on the back of the neck, and want to keep that as intact as possible.

Any tips on how I would go about doing this? I've only ever done this with bolt-ons, so this is new territory for me.

Also, what would be some things to look to use for a natural finish? I'm guessing I'd be looking at various stains and whatnot
NOPE
You'll probably find the wood isn't that good looking under the paint as they tend to add stuff like a maple veneer on the natural finished ones like mine

I've stripped another guitar i had and it was all grain filler etc, nothing pretty to stain that's for sure. You could maybe just get some veneer though and glue it on the face like jackson do.
Generally, the same rules apply to neck tru and set neck as everything else. Mask off any binding, the fretboard, and routing or anything that you don't want stripped or painted, and then go to work.

As far as natural finishes go, most people just use tung oil. Some people use gun-stock wax, others just use a clear coat of high gloss or satin urethane. It's up to you. The idea is to just use the minimum amount needed to seal the wood.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.