So I pulled the plug on a used Traynor YCV40 in a small local music shop, one of those Mom & Pops styled shop that always carries the stuff others wont. Parted ways with my Bassman TLD after a few years of trying to make it work and purchased the Traynor after some extensive in-store Jamming and testing etc. It needed some cleaning and i did that last night, has some minor tolex scratches so any advice for sealing those and hiding them would be useful(although they are very tiny and minor).

REVIEW:
Clean Channel is very balanced, not too bright with just the amount of warmth i need, dont really need the bright channel, but its shimmery without icepicks so thats nice at least. Cleans sound similar to the Peavey Classic 50, they could be better but I also question my Guitar sense it has always had Pickup flaws...

Dirt Channel is pure Classic Rock/Hard Rock Oompf! It's very dynamic with picking with how i can play lighter to get a very mild overdrive sound and digging in hard to get alot of Crunch. Don't have much use for the Boost because i prefere my TS808 for lead boosts.
It handles volume nicely and it can step down to Bedroom levels, but does well when pushed a little(sweet spot on dirt channel is 3 1/2, 4 is better but frakkin LOUD!

The Reverb is not that impressive, but under mild settings it gets the job done.

All in all...I originally paid alot of Money for my Bassman LTD(1200$), but a 400$ Traynor YCV40 makes me glad I sent the Bassman on its way out the door...

Will Record it on Tuesday because the Kids will be in school and in order to record it i am going to turn it up so i'll tell the wife to leave...

Beautiful amp man. Congrats.
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG1570
Schecter Omen 6
ESP LTD Viper 400
Dean Dime From Hell

Amp
Peavey 5150
Excellent purchase! I have a YCV50 Blue that I love, would love to try the 40, I have heard it has a nicer clean channel but less impressive dirty channel. Funny, the Traynors a generally considered to have great reverb, the 50 sounds really sweet. Does it have an FX loop? IF it does what do you have in there and have you had any problems? I have all sorts of problems with my 50, apparently it is renound for it.
Quote by WaltTheWerewolf
i'll tell the wife to leave...

Is it wrong I thought this was the best part of the NAD?

HNAD man! Enjoy, Traynors are great amps!
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
Is it wrong I thought this was the best part of the NAD?

HNAD man! Enjoy, Traynors are great amps!

nice amp!

HNAD
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
The weakest component of that amp is the speaker. Mud city for such a great amp. Replace that when you can.

Also, when you replace tubes, the preamp valves will be under that plate next to the power tubes. HNGD! I've had my ycv40 for almost 5 years now.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
^ +1, the 70/80's not great (and might even be the main reason people say the 50 has a better od channel... looking at the schematics they're almost identical)

aside from that, it's a sweet amp. awesome score
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Reincaster
The weakest component of that amp is the speaker. Mud city for such a great amp. Replace that when you can.

Also, when you replace tubes, the preamp valves will be under that plate next to the power tubes. HNGD! I've had my ycv40 for almost 5 years now.

Ya i noticed the speaker was ok, but it could be improved, under the plate...i take it thats similar to peavey classic 50's where i had to unscrew something to replace tubes.
I'm still debating on whether to dump my HRD for one of these Trsynors. They look killer!
i find the dirt channel sounds great when pushed, but i've yet to test it out in a band setting, at around 3 it starts to sound nice, but under that its alright...really needs volume to shine. Hopefully will get a chance to record it, but ya the wife needs to leave sense all my recording stuff is setup in the living room and not the music room.
Just a bought a Traynor YCV20 last week, I couldn't be happier
HNAD!
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album