Just discovered a song that really responded to my heart, more then anything... van halen, Ratt, or any of the bands i useally listen too

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=for+the+love+of+god+steve+vai&oq=for+the+love+of+god&aq=1&aqi=g10&aql=&gs_sm=1&gs_upl=20927l23405l0l25956l19l17l0l6l6l0l249l1675l1.7.2l10l0

Its for the love of god by steve vai. there is something about it i just love i can listen to it 100 times and more... sooo mystical and amazing!

I can make up my own solos and progressions. and i can do it live. What will i have to do to be like this, this is a major goal for me... my ears are tired of the just basic 80's solos and this song really reaches out to me. I can tell he's playing a specific mode for each chord. instead of the easy way out and just playing the pentatonic scale for the key. what do you guys think? what should i start doing.
Last edited by IbanezMan989 at Feb 19, 2012,
Find a guitar pro or some other kind of tab that's accurate, then break it into small parts. practice section by section at a time. Sometimes printing it off and then breaking it into 4-8 bar sections works as well. If you try to take a song like that all at once it'll swallow you whole.

It is a gorgeous song. You'll get to a point where you're going to have to up your ability to sweep pick, which is a whole other thing on it's own.
Quote by IbanezMan989
Just discovered a song that really responded to my heart, more then anything... van halen, Ratt, or any of the bands i useally listen too

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=for+the+love+of+god+steve+vai&oq=for+the+love+of+god&aq=1&aqi=g10&aql=&gs_sm=1&gs_upl=20927l23405l0l25956l19l17l0l6l6l0l249l1675l1.7.2l10l0

Its for the love of god by steve vai. there is something about it i just love i can listen to it 100 times and more... sooo mystical and amazing!

I can make up my own solos and progressions. and i can do it live. What will i have to do to be like this, this is a major goal for me... my ears are tired of the just basic 80's solos and this song really reaches out to me. I can tell he's playing a specific mode for each chord. instead of the easy way out and just playing the pentatonic scale for the key. what do you guys think? what should i start doing.

He really isn't
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Try to find a songbook of the album which has this song, "Passion and Warfare", and read the tab there.