I found out today that one of the pickups in my guitar can cause problems when restringing, and was told to get new pups (sound fine...don't get how a pickup could inhibit restringing)...and I am a little confused about which pups would be the best for my guitar. Current pups are EMG actives (81/81 or 81/60).

Guitar woods: Basswood w/ maple bolt-on neck
Preferences: Active pickups
Style: Good ol' thrash metal
Budget: idk...i believe my mom will cover it

Any ideas people?

EDIT: May not have to...my mom will call the luthier to ask what the heck is going on (actually her friend, who's father in-law is a guitar player/tech).
Last edited by N1K156 at Feb 20, 2012,
Lower your pickups?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by N1K156
don't get how a pickup could inhibit restringing

Hahahahahaha
That has to be the ballsiest upsell attempt I've ever heard.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
Hahahahahaha
That has to be the ballsiest upsell attempt I've ever heard.

Totally.

Have you noticed any problems yourself TS? because it sounds like TOTAL bullshit to me. And by that I mean it IS total bullshit.
How is a pickup going to hinder restringing? If it's too close to the strings, lower them. Tell the tech to go shove his bullshit sale up his ass, I really don't care for people who sell people shit they don't need. Your current pickup set is fine.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Eppicurt
How is a pickup going to hinder restringing? If it's too close to the strings, lower them. Tell the tech to go shove his bullshit sale up his ass, I really don't care for people who sell people shit they don't need. Your current pickup set is fine.

He just said the pickups were bad for some reason...How are EMG actives bad if so many artists use them?
They are good active pickups but most people prefer passives. Not bad by any means. Luthier just wants $$$
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Ya, that guy is trying to scam you.

Active pickups should be as close to the strings as possible without ever hitting while strumming.

Wih passive pickups, you don't want them too close so that the magnets kill your sustain.

You also have to mess with the heights to balance out the volume differences between your pickups - so there isn't a distracting difference in volume when you switch from neck to bridge pickups. - unless you want that. The closer to the string, the louder its going to be.
Last edited by 667 at Feb 20, 2012,