Budget? - Whatever money I get for trading in this pedal, I'm only expecting to be able to buy 2 MAYBE 3 pedals with this.

Genres? - Mainly progressive metal, thrash metal. Dream Theater, Symphony X, Sylosis.

New or Used? - Either.

Home or Gig? - Both. Mostly playing at home for now, but I also play regularly at university and I'm expecting to gig with my current band soon.

Closest City? - Living in Cardiff, Wales.

Current Gear? - Ibanez RG350, Ibanez S420, Marshall MG50, Boss ME-50

For starters, is this a good idea? I love my multi-fx unit but I don't think I'm using all of the effects in it. I use the noise gate, overdrive/distortions (as bad as they are), chorus, delay and the pedal to adjust volume/for wah.

The effects I'd be looking to grab with the money from selling it:
1. Distortion pedal
2. Chorus/delay pedal

For the distortion pedal I'm looking for something that can give me a high gain metal distortion that isn't completely over the top (e.g. disguises my leads and muds up my low end) and preferably has some kind of EQ or at least a bottom/tone knob like on most of BOSS' pedals.

Also I'm not sure about using distortion pedals to "boost" an amp's distortion as I've never been able to do that with mine, I just get feedback when I press my ME-50s distortion pedal while the MG's is on, which coupled with the fact that I don't like it, is why I never use my amp's distortion.

If there's any more info you need, I'd be happy to give it
Gear:
Ibanez S420 (Standard tuned)
Ibanez RG350 (Drop C tuned)
BOSS ME-50 multi effects pedal
Marshall MG50
Get a new amp first. Pedals won't do it justice.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Knew that was coming, damn my poor-student status.

EDIT: Alright, so any suggestions for a new amp (within a reasonable budget)? My birthday is soon and I guess if I sell/trade in this one I could throw together about £300 maybe more (not sure how much these sell for but parents would probably be willing to spend £100-150)
Gear:
Marshall MG50
Last edited by RyanIbanezMan at Feb 20, 2012,
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
Damn, that valveking is cheap!
Gotta be honest, I think I'm preferring the Vypyr purely for the home recording aspects and the massive range of effects already built in, plus the option to buy a foot controller for it. I think I'll see tomorrow if they have any in the local shops to try one.

I was actually going to suggest Peavey myself as a preferred amp having used their solid-states when I was in college (and absolutely loving them) but I'll make sure to keep an eye on ebay and see how much my marshall will sell for.

Thanks for such a quick reply!
Gear:
Marshall MG50
Quote by RyanIbanezMan
Damn, that valveking is cheap!
Gotta be honest, I think I'm preferring the Vypyr purely for the home recording aspects and the massive range of effects already built in, plus the option to buy a foot controller for it. I think I'll see tomorrow if they have any in the local shops to try one.

I was actually going to suggest Peavey myself as a preferred amp having used their solid-states when I was in college (and absolutely loving them) but I'll make sure to keep an eye on ebay and see how much my marshall will sell for.

Thanks for such a quick reply!

Everyone on here who has a Vypyr Tube always swears by them. They're really nice amps, if you can get your hands on one to try you'll know what we mean. Much nicer effects and distortions than the ME70 and the MG.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
However, if I can't quite afford the Vypyr (It's abit of a stretch) or it's not on ebay anymore by the time I can buy it, is there anything else you can recommend?
Gear:
Marshall MG50
It's kind of hard at that budget. But.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peavey-Classic-30-Watt-Valve-and-112E-Cab-/300664797342?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item460104b89e#ht_500wt_1287 (Would need a boost for metal though, or a separate pedal)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Laney-LH50-valve-Head-and-GL212-cab-/220955053653?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item3371f28e55#ht_936wt_1270

If you can stretch the budget even further, because you guys get Orange so much cheaper, look for a Dark Terror and couple with a 1x12 or something similar. But that's reaching much higher than your budget.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Alright, thanks man, you've been a great help. Definitely try to get the Vypyr though, see if I can't con my parents into buying it
Gear:
Marshall MG50
I'd jump on it quick, that's a damn good price. Even if Youtube samples have to suffice. I dare-say it'll do everything you need.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Ok, not a chance I'll make the Vypyr and my budget is very low indeed ><
Are the Vypyr 30s good? Good enough for gigging?
Gear:
Marshall MG50
Quote by RyanIbanezMan
Ok, not a chance I'll make the Vypyr and my budget is very low indeed ><
Are the Vypyr 30s good? Good enough for gigging?

in a word no. the 30 is a solid state amp as opposed to the tube ones that people have recommended. you may want to look for a used tube Vypyr or a used Valveking. the VK is all tube and has a good sound. you'll probably need an overdrive for some of what you play although the amp has a reasonable amount of gain. if you can find a good deal on a used 6505+ combo then that might be a good option as well. putting pedals through your current amp will be a waste of money and perhaps only yield a slightly better sound if you are lucky.
Thanks to you both for all your help, saving up for a tube amp it is then. Maybe I'll use my birthday to get a new pickup instead if I can't find a decent deal in time.
Have a good day
Gear:
Marshall MG50