Page 1 of 2
I've had some bad experiences with guitarists for a long time. One of my plan B's was to just become a duo with my drummer with my bass as the lead instrument. Is there any advice that you can give me to accomplish this if I need to? Thanks in advance.
Yeah all kinds of sweet bands do that. Get a bunch of effects pedals.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Listen to Viridian by Between the Buried and Me. That's a beautiful example of a bass lead. Solo, technically, but still. It's neat.
Quote by stealstrings

C:
Well, there are a couple of problems with that. First being I really don't know how to play guitar. Even if I could play guitar, I wouldn't have a bassist for live situations. Bassists are much harder to come by than guitarists, after all. Thus, I want to see if I could make my bass a lead instrument, as I know of at least one band to have done this before.

Edit: This was for Spaztikko
Last edited by TheTad00 at Feb 20, 2012,
Quote by jthm_guitarist
Yeah all kinds of sweet bands do that. Get a bunch of effects pedals.

What kind of effects would be good?
Well, we're pretty much an alternative/experimental band, so we have a lot of breathing room.
Quote by InstantMustache
Listen to Viridian by Between the Buried and Me. That's a beautiful example of a bass lead. Solo, technically, but still. It's neat.

I'll be sure to check it out, thanks.
try listening to the band Shrüm
it doesnt even have guitar in it
its 2 bass players a drummer and a singer
and if you've ever listened to the band Acid Bath Audie Pitre plays bass in it and it was the last band he was part of before he died.
Shrüm also only released 1 album...
When life gives you lemons.. Squirt juice in your enemy's eyes!
higher up on the neck. gl man. but really, bassists arent that hard to find, in fact find a pianist whose keen. itll work out really well. seriously.
Quote by TheTad00
What kind of effects would be good?

fuzz, echo, chorus

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Genuinely shocked that the great Mr. Entwistle has not yet been mentioned. Have a listen to 'The Real Me' by The Who. The guitar and synth on that track play rather simple, grounded parts, but the bass and drums are basically soloing the entire way through the track.

Another notable mention is, of course, Geddy Lee. The massive discography of Rush makes it hsrd to narrow it down too much, but some that come to mind are Malignant Narcissism, Prime Mover, and Digital Man.
Quote by Scratcher17
Listen to Om. They're a two-piece: bassist/singer and drummer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9wvOCaDIR0&feature=related

I can't believe it took two pages to get to Om!
There really isn't much lead in Om,just dope heavy rhythm.Which works fine for me.
Have a listen to a band called No Anchor,they have a 2nd bassist instead of a guitarist.They kinda sound like the obscurity of the Melvins,crossed with a really heavy punk band.
there's a band called Ned Atomic Dustbin that have a lead bassist as well as a rhythm bassist ,but it didn't really work for me.
A good rig can really make the this idea a bit easier to put into practice.I suggest bi-amping,one with a really deep,heavy bass sound,another with a mid heavy distorted sound.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by Brandon1993
try listening to the band Shrüm
it doesnt even have guitar in it
its 2 bass players a drummer and a singer
and if you've ever listened to the band Acid Bath Audie Pitre plays bass in it and it was the last band he was part of before he died.
Shrüm also only released 1 album...

That's why u don't play lead as a bassist..

RIP TheTad00
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
To play leads you want to play in a more melodic way as opposed to just playing rhythmically.

Peter Hook is a great example of melodic bass leads. Except that if you were to do his parts without a guitar in the mix it would sound really thin. The guitar in that band adds another layer of sound which lets Hook stick to simple melodies.

You're not playing with a guitar then you'll need to turn to effects to fill up the sound a bit. I would say use a loop pedal. Try playing a long melody into it on the G and D strings, then jam along to it.
Last edited by BlackVoid at Feb 20, 2012,
It's music, if your wanting to do a two piece, do it. But if you ask how to play and what to buy and what to listen to, it's hardly as original. No one starts out and says hey I got a power trio what should we play, but when it gets to just a bass and drum, a seemingly original (not really anymore) concept, we need reassurance people have done it and we're doing it like they did.

Om is just two guys grooving in standard tuning with maybe a dirt pedal otherwise it's just bass and drums locked together.

Other bands have a million pieces of kit and a zillion pedals and make more noise than a 5 piece band.

I'd say lead bass is undefinable, do you mean melodic, or intense gain and treble until you are the foremost sound heard live? I'd say it's a lot of things, and a lot of opinion. When it comes to you and a drummer, I'd wager lead is less important than good rhythm and solid grooving basslines. I assume a groovy riffs, and licks would catch more attention, than a guy just transposing guitar solos with a fuzz box.

One people would see as "drum n bass", another is oh that band with a "drummer and a big guitar with 4 strings"

Lastly, if you go the pedal route it'll be much more expensive than finding a guitarist who will probably already have them all or a burning desire for them :P
Yes. Most definitely, yes.
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
Can bass be the lead instrument?

Any questions?
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Here's an idea. Do what you want. If you want to use it as a lead instrument then use it as a lead instrument. You don't need our permission and I'm sure if you look through your state and national laws you wont find anything forbidding it.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
Here's an idea. Do what you want. If you want to use it as a lead instrument then use it as a lead instrument. You don't need our permission and I'm sure if you look through your state and national laws you wont find anything forbidding it.

Well, I was just trying to get ideas on how to make it a better lead instrument as well as finding inspiration through other bands that have done it. I'm sorry if that
offended you.

Maybe next time you'll actually read what someone originally posts instead of just the title so you won't have to be an asshole for no reason
Last edited by TheTad00 at Feb 21, 2012,
Page 1 of 2