And thus the cretin strays from the Pit...

So I'm going to be coming into a bit of money soon after selling my Dean and along with buying an Ovation I was thinking of replacing my Squier Frankenstrat's neck with a new one, one that stays in tune with a locking nut. I won't have enough body for a new body so the one I have now is fine with a standard Strat tremolo. Can I use Floyd Rose locking nuts or are those specifically for FRs? And if I have to use another nut lock do you have suggestions, and can I use that for the potential Floyd?

TL;DR: New neck, will Floyd locking nut work with Strat trem?
Quote by So-Cal
Incest is wincest!

Quote by Neo Evil11
Because he's the hero The Pit deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A Dark Anus.
There are some issues with that. Namely, you need to unlock the nut everytime you need to tune (even a tiny bit). FR has fine tuners for that purpose located on the tremolo part. Otherwise i suppose it would work, but i'm not sure if it would actually add much to the tuning stability. I'd rather recommend a roller nut, if you really want something special (and if you use your tremolo, otherwise it's kinda pointless).

edit: or do you plan on upgrading to FR? I suppose you could just keep the nut unlocked and use it as normal nut and then just replace your tremolo w/ FR
Last edited by KorYi at Feb 20, 2012,
yeah, a roller nut you be better. stabalises tuning, and helps with the hight of the strings during the trem usage.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
It won't work very well because when you clamp the nut down it will make the strings slightly sharp, usually you fix this with the fine tuners. You're better off getting some locking tuners.
Quote by Iain.Peters
Guthrie Govan. 'nuff said.
yeah, get a roller nut and locking tuners.

dont be afraid to spash some cash on the tuners, buy some decent ones..
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
I was thinking I would eventually buy a Strat non-Squier replacement body somewhere down the line but the current body works fine.
I'm new to roller necks (Just saw them in a video last month or so) are the bolted on a nut shelf a la FR or is it a part of the neck like a usual nut?

Edit: Read more on roller nuts... I'll probably go with that since I'd rather buy myself a new guitar than adding more to my Frankenstrat that make minor differences since the Floyd would be blocked, essentially making it like my current Strat trem... Just more expensive
Quote by So-Cal
Incest is wincest!

Quote by Neo Evil11
Because he's the hero The Pit deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A Dark Anus.
Last edited by IWasMaiden93 at Feb 20, 2012,
Um, it wont work quite well with a strat trem since when you lock the nut it will go out of tune and if you are doing it to fix tuning problems this wont quite help at all :P

As already said either get a rolling nut, graph tech nut which are awesome and some locking tuners and you will be more set than with those locking tuners :P And if you do get the locking nut... Then you will want to get a FR for this guitar and if it's a strat you can use it without having to route anything really but just downwards if you want to pull it up you would then need to go route the body and i see you don't really want to be working that much of that strats body for what you have said which would then end up in it being better to just get a new guitar :/
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P