So i'm working on a song in C. A gritty rock tune a la QOTSA, Danko Jones, or Turbonegro. I was planning on having my guitarist record it in C standard, like QOTSA, but a lot of the notes in the riff(s) use the 7 under 1, sometimes the 5 under 1. So obviously i can't do it in C Standard, if C is the lowest note on the guitar.

What would be an appropriate(ly heavy/gritty) tuning for a riff like that in C?

Thanks for the help.
i may not be a smart man, but i know what ROCK IS!!!!
By 5 under 1 in C I assume you mean it hits the G note below C?

In which case...a tuning that goes down to G on the low string.... in which case I reccomend a baritone or a 7 string guitar tuned down to (drop) G, that or some really beefy strings.
did you write the riff? how was it writen (just sheet music, on a guitar, on a piano etc.)?

also i'm not sure what you mean by "7 under 1" and "5 under 1"?
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Sorry, lemme specify. To write out my ideas, to get them out of my head, i usually record in midi. So far i've written the rhythm section, including the bass (which the guitar will follow in a lot of places). Most of the verse hangs around the C, but also pops down to the A# (#6, not 7, my mistake) quite a lot.
well first you can try using a 7-string tuned to G standard (GCFA#D#GC) or you can try to play an A# above the C, I dunno if that would sound right... but it could sound interesting.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
That could sound interesting. It would definitely be counter-intuitive, and unique aurally.

So, in that case, if i transposed the song up to D, i could tune the guitar to C Standard and have C be the b7 of D, yeah? Therefore it'd give it the same interval as the original A# to C, just in a different Key...man i hope i'm not ****ing up my theory. Its been so long since i've actually thought about any of this shit.
Drop Bb

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
or you could reverse a chord so that is sounds lower

C
G
D# 7
A# 7
F 5
C 5

that would be a A# which sounds pretty rock
Hmmm all these work. It only really needs to happen in one lick, which is the turn-around from the refrain back to the verse. It just has this meat that it needs to sound like that, maybe i'll just tune the low string on the bass down to the Bb, then i can get that sound i want from the bass, and let the guitars do some variation on that (maybe the same riff, an octave up)
Quote by ryleestrange
That could sound interesting. It would definitely be counter-intuitive, and unique aurally.

So, in that case, if i transposed the song up to D, i could tune the guitar to C Standard and have C be the b7 of D, yeah? Therefore it'd give it the same interval as the original A# to C, just in a different Key...man i hope i'm not ****ing up my theory. Its been so long since i've actually thought about any of this shit.

that could work aswell, you should try it first because sometimes changing the key of the song can make it feel a bit different. basically what you should do is listen to it regularly first, now wait an hour or two and listen to it with the key change, does it still evoke the same feelings?
if no, does it still work overall?
if yes, can the vocals still be sung over it? if not, then its back to the drawing board
Quote by Dirk Gently
Thank you all, this gives me quite a bit to play with. I've already vastly changed the versed, based on ideas elicited from your suggestions. The rest it seems is a bit of trial and error. Thank god for the era of digital recording.