A couple of strings on my dads acoustic broke about a week ago so I was thinking of surprising him and restringing it with new strings. Ive heard him say elixirs are good but I dont know what gauge strings to get? He play songs by artists like pete murray and stuff.
Cheers
Quote by Noninim
10s on an acoustic is pretty standard.

Really? That seems pretty light to me.
TS: It will be totally down to your Dad's preference. Some people use really light string so they can bend alot, some people prefer the tone of heavier gauges. Personally, I use 13s, but a lot of people would find those too heavy and some might find them too light
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
I like Rotosound 11's phosfor bronze on my acoustic, sounds really full compared to 10's i think.
Last edited by ZoaL at Feb 20, 2012,
Quote by Noninim
10s on an acoustic is pretty standard.
Not in the least, really.

Most manufacturers ship with .012 to .053 acoustic "light" sets. The "Extra light" set, (010 to .047 aren't even recommended to use on Jumbo or dreadnaught bodies. They don't pump enough energy into these soundboards to give it a full sound.
Still have the broken string? Take it along to the store and they'll be able to put a micrometer on it and tell you what gauge it is.
Tastes differ wildly. Most dreadnaught-sized guitars tend to respond better to mediums, but many players prefer lights for playing ease.
My little GS Mini specifies medium gauge due to the shortened scale.
Some lightly-constructed guitars may be damaged by mediums.
10's aren't standard, although i use 'em. 12's are lights, and they're what you'll find on most guitars at guitar stores.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
They don't pump enough energy into these soundboards to give it a full sound.(Invalid img)
Alright cheers guys. Yeah I'm pretty sure there either .012 to .053 or .012 to .056
I use mediums 13-56 but a lot of guitars come with lights 12-53, your best bet would be googling your dads guitar to see what strings should be on it(but then again, there's always the possibility he set it up for a different gauge).

But I would highly recommend Elexirs, they are more expensive but well worth it.
Esp Eclipse II
Fender Strat LoneStar
Martin D35 Custom Shop
Vox Night Train
Vox Heritage cab 1x12
Quote by Jazzar
Alright cheers guys. Yeah I'm pretty sure there either .012 to .053...[ ]...
OK, if that's that case, you have lights on the guitar.
Quote by Jazzar
...[ ]...or .012 to .056
This would actually be a custom string set. Or, they're mediums, and you didn't measure the E-1 correctly.

I haven't seen "light sets (.012 E-1), with anything heavier than an .054 E-6.

Which is not to say they don't exiist.
Quote by drying out
I use mediums 13-56 but a lot of guitars come with lights 12-53, your best bet would be googling your dads guitar to see what strings should be on it(but then again, there's always the possibility he set it up for a different gauge).

But I would highly recommend Elexirs, they are more expensive but well worth it.

Yeah probably. Going to order some tonight so I think ill buy the lights. 12-53s. In case mediums are too much.
Quote by Captaincranky
OK, if that's that case, you have lights on the guitar.
This would actually be a custom string set. Or, they're mediums, and you didn't measure the E-1 correctly.

I haven't seen "light sets (.012 E-1), with anything heavier than an .054 E-6.

Which is not to say they don't exiist.

Alright sweet :P
and
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Elixir-Phosphor-Bronze-Nanoweb-Light-Medium-012-056-Acoustic-Guitar-Strings-/260961730182?pt=AU_Instrument_Accessories&hash=item3cc287fe86
dude it depends on a lot of things, but normally thicker strings sound better and richer but are harder to play. Elexir nanoweb 12-53 will definitely sound good though.

I have never seen anyone take so much thought into buying strings. You act like you're spilling 3k on some guitar you've never tried out!
Esp Eclipse II
Fender Strat LoneStar
Martin D35 Custom Shop
Vox Night Train
Vox Heritage cab 1x12