I have a 24 3/4 scale . floyd guitar, 9-50 strings, and I keep it in d-standard tuning. {1 full step down}. I have noticed I get quite alot of fret buzz when chording around the heaviest 3 strings. Single notes dont buzz, unless I really attack them. I can barely hear a little buzz through the amp on a clean channel, but not on a distorted channel. My action is about 3/32 to the bottom of the string on the thick side at the 12th fret. Is that a normal medium action, or is that too low. Just looking for some guidline really, I know its all preference, but what would a normal medium to low action measure?
Quote by AeolianSeventh
Maybe there are gnomes in your air conditioning vents using out-of-phase parabolic speakers to deaden vibrations from a distance.
Your strings are too light and your action is too low. .009s feel too floppy to me in E standard; I can't imagine how loose they are for D standard.

I dunno about specific measurements, but you definitely want to raise that action a little if you're getting fret buzz.
Well I basically have skinny tops heavy bottoms with 9-50, and I love the loose feel of the strings. I just cant seem to find any guidelines on what i normal measurements.
Quote by AeolianSeventh
Maybe there are gnomes in your air conditioning vents using out-of-phase parabolic speakers to deaden vibrations from a distance.
Like I said, just raise the action on the strings until you're not getting any buzz. If you're using light strings like 0.009s in D standard, they're gonna flop about a bit and the intonation is gonna be weird, since they're so loose on the guitar.
Maybe I miss understood how to read string guages. I thought 9 was the skinny side (that I have no fretbuzz with) and 50 was the heavy side (that I do have buzz with). Seems like alot of manufacturers are suggesting something around 2mm on the heavy side and 1.5 on the light side. Of coarse thats for srandard tuning so Idk.
Quote by AeolianSeventh
I'm referring to the set as a whole when I say ".009s". The .09 is the lightest string; the 0.50 is the heaviest. That said, that still runs a little light, in my opinion, for D standard. I use .12-0.56s in C# standard, which is only a half-step down, and they're about right for me. Anything much lighter would feel wrong to me.

Either way, just raise the action a bit on those bottom strings. That ought to fix your problem.
ok, Thanks for the help man.
Quote by AeolianSeventh
I play in drop C with my PRS, and I have much heavier strings than you .13-56 I think. I have no fret buzz, but I chose those strings for that reason. I just started playing with thick strings on everything, standard included, I like the way they feel now. I think a lot of people use .09s to cheat when they bend, its all about proper technique.