I came across a small Epiphone Bass amp at a local antique shop. I had actually just walked in because it started downpourig as I was walking back to the car with my guitar from testing out a full stack I found on Craigslist (it was garbage BTW, super load buzz when you're plugged in which he immediately blamed on my guitar, even though my Les Paul doesn't make any of my other amps buzz lol).

Anyway, so I'm just kinda roaming through this huge warehouse shop of antiques and I see this little 10w (I'm assuming, it has a 10 on it, usually the number is the watts) Epiphone Bass amp. The guy saw me looking and saw the guitar and thought I came to test it out. He's like "plug in, test it out". I figured what the hell, I'm waiting for the rain to slow a bit, I'll give it a go.

This thing sounded AWESOME. It had such a cool clean tone, and te "presence" knob almost had a chorus-like "shimmer" effect. I loved it and was interested in snagging it as a clean channel amp to use with an A/B splitter. So I ask how much and he tells me they need to research it and he'll give me a call.

My question is, is there a way to tell just by the serial number? I mean, I know there is, that's what the serial number is for lol, but where can I go to enter the number and get the amp model/year etc? All I can find are guitar serial number lookups. This amp has no model number or year or anything on the back, the only identifier is a serial number, the rest of the "info badge" or whatever they are called is just the power ratings and such.

The amp says "Studio Bass 10" on it in red letter on a gold knob plate (that's probably not the official name for the plate lol, but the metal plate that the knobs are on), and then Epiphone badge really big on the bottom right of the speaker grill. It has an input and headphone jack, both 1/4", and knobs for volume, bass, mid, treble, and presence. The serial number is: K971101156 and it said "made in Korea".
"Space may be the final frontier
But it's made in a hollywood basement."
Is this it here?

http://www.epiphonewiki.com/index.php?title=Studio_Series_Amplifiers

Looking at the serial number, it appears they may've actually used ones that are fairly easy to decipher. Here's a guess, but it may be a good one:

K - Korea
97 - 1997
110 - Made on day 110 of 1997
1156 - Serial # for that batch

Edit: Just looked in my 2011 Guitar Price Guide, which also has amps and effects in it. I don't see that particular model listed. Looking at the picture from the site I posted above, it looks to be a small, intro-type amp. My guess is it's also SS and not tube. Regarding a value on it... It's not like a vintage Fender Champ, which can command a high price. We're talking about an amp that was probably available for a fairly low price back in 1997. I wouldn't pay more than $50 for it and would probably try to get it for closer to $30.
Last edited by KG6_Steven at Feb 20, 2012,
Those amps were part of a starter bass package, along with an SG bass and the standard accessories. That particular amp has been discontinued, and replaced in the packs with the Studio Bass 15. The packages run around 300 bucks.
Thanks guys. I knew it was a cheap little practice amp so couldn't be worth much, I just didn't know if it was an OLDER practice amp since it was in an antique shop and it looked old lol. I wasn't looking at it for it being "vintage" though, I just really liked the way it sounded playing clean guitar through it and figured I'd pick it up because, well, we can never have too much gear in our collections right lol? I just figured I'd ask around here before that guy calls me saying its older or worth more than it really is. I looked it up on eBay and it goes for like $20 haha. I'd pay $20 for it, it was a really cool clean shimmer sound and $20 is way less than most pedals.
by the way, a 10 watt bass amp will not keep up with a 2203....

Just throwing that out there.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
What's really important is that you like the way it sounds. If you can pick it up for $20, it might make a nice little recording amp. Some of the smallest amps have found their way onto recordings and they sound much bigger in front of a mike. Go for it.
Quote by LaidBack
by the way, a 10 watt bass amp will not keep up with a 2203....

Just throwing that out there.

No, but it should keep up with a 30w MG, which is my current home practice amp. The 800 is my live amp, and will be my studio amp too. I mainly just want this one to mess around with, it sounds cool. I don't ever plan on actually using it live, just for messing around at home since I liked it's sound.

Would be funny though to show up to soundcheck and plug that in right next to the 800 stack, and then try and get the engineer to get the levels right lol.
If he had half a brain he'd just stick a DI box between you and the amp and just pretend that the amp doesn't exist.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Well we all know that sometimes house sound guys DON'T have half a brain lol ;P
That's why you have your own sound guy.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
That's why you be your own sound guy.

fixed.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
What I do is teach the smartest roady how to do it. It isn't hard to learn how to mix one band and if he comes across a desk he doesn't understand I explain it to him.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification