So a while ago, i brought my guitar (with 2 passive dimarzio humbuckers) to a guitar shop, to get the potmeters and inputjack switched out. When i got it back, i noticed a ground noise when i didnt tutch any metal parts of the guitar. I have tried the guitar in 4 diffrent amps in 3 houses, and the noise is always there. I have tried to move around in the room, but the noise is still there. This noise wasnt there before i sendt it in to the guitar shop (and i payed alot of money to get the inputjack and potmeters switched out). I have another guitar that is completely noise free in the same amps.

Afterwards i decided to send it in again with a note that i wrote that explained the problem. When i got it back the man in the guitarshop said that he couldnt find any noise. (But the noise was still there) Later i sendt it to another guitarshop, and they said exactly the same thing. Unfotionatly my mom delivered the guitar to the shop, and not me.

What shuld i do?? The guys in the shops just said that it wasnt anything wrong with the guitar. But it is! The guitar didnt make this noise before, and i have not changed anything in my other gear.

If anybody could help me i would be forever thankfull
Does it have a tremolo? If it does, take of the back plate and check if the ground-wire is properly connected to the trem claw.
If it doesn't have a tremolo, open up either the back-cavity plate or take of the pickguard, depending on what kind of guitar you have.

Check for any obviously faulty soldered wires. If you can't find any, take it in to the shop that first fixed you up and demand that they rewire their work.
Quote by Y00p
Does it have a tremolo? If it does, take of the back plate and check if the ground-wire is properly connected to the trem claw.
If it doesn't have a tremolo, open up either the back-cavity plate or take of the pickguard, depending on what kind of guitar you have.

Check for any obviously faulty soldered wires. If you can't find any, take it in to the shop that first fixed you up and demand that they rewire their work.

It does have a tremolo, but the wire is connected. The guy in the shop opened up the guitar, and said he couldnt find anything wrong.
If the guitar is making noise when you are not touching a metal part, that's fine. This is something that 90% of guitars do and is normal.

If it's making noise when you are touching metal parts, then something is wrong.
Last edited by Strats&Cats at Feb 20, 2012,
Quote by Strats&Cats
If the guitar is making noise when you are not touching a metal part, that's fine. This is something that 90% of guitars do and is normal.

If it's making noise when you are touching metal parts, then something is wrong.

But the noise is pretty loud, and it wasnt there before
Quote by Usernames sucks
But the noise is pretty loud, and it wasnt there before

Then either:

1.) Keep your hands on the strings when you're not playing and use your volume knob.

2.) Get a noise gate.

3.) Turn your gain down.

4.) Turn your volume down.
Quote by Strats&Cats
Then either:

1.) Keep your hands on the strings when you're not playing and use your volume knob.

2.) Get a noise gate.

3.) Turn your gain down.

4.) Turn your volume down.

Yeah, but if im using a slide etc, the noise destroys everything

Before the guitar had an mono output jac, but this has an stereo. Could that make noise?
Last edited by Usernames sucks at Feb 21, 2012,
sounds like a bad solder joint. just because everything looks alright doesnt mean they are making proper conections. can you take it to someone and actualy sow them what is happening with it.

It also sound like the guy who originaly did the work may know how to solder pickups in, but is deff not a good tech, if he says nothing is wrong.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
sounds like a bad solder joint. just because everything looks alright doesnt mean they are making proper conections. can you take it to someone and actualy sow them what is happening with it.

It also sound like the guy who originaly did the work may know how to solder pickups in, but is deff not a good tech, if he says nothing is wrong.

The solder is very good, but do you know how to troubleshoot where the probem is?
if a wire is not making correct contact to a part AND not grounded properly it will make the noise you describe. Best advice would be to start from the new parts and work backwards. It will be hard but worth it. If a ground is off or not wired properly it will give you that hum you describe. Best advice, do it yourself and take your time until you fix the issue. test after each fix and do your best. Only you know your instrument and only you will care for it correctly. just my opinion but i would carefully fix it yourself.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Quote by zenbone
if a wire is not making correct contact to a part AND not grounded properly it will make the noise you describe. Best advice would be to start from the new parts and work backwards. It will be hard but worth it. If a ground is off or not wired properly it will give you that hum you describe. Best advice, do it yourself and take your time until you fix the issue. test after each fix and do your best. Only you know your instrument and only you will care for it correctly. just my opinion but i would carefully fix it yourself.

Im not really good at soldering
Quote by Usernames sucks
Im not really good at soldering

Gotta learn sometime
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
this is another reason why people should learn to work on what they play. i have never brought anything to a shop. played for ~10 years.

if the guy that did the work will look at it again bring you amp, and show him. tell him. some techs will take advantage of people who don't or don't seem to know a lot about gear.

i read on here the other a setup and restring (on a floyd)and some minuscule little thing that the tech wanted $100. if i were to do what his would i would charge $40 tops.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/