Hey guys!
Im an amateur guitar and ive been playing for 6-8 months now. Im perfect with power chords, barre chords and open position chords. U can play a few solos, dont know if they're hard or easy, solos like the one in The Final Countdown, Mark Tremonti's solo in Open your eyes and a couple of Bullet for my valentine solos. I dont know any of the scales or any 'rare' chords as I like to call em.. I like to play most metalcore, heavy metal, classic rock, acoustic etc.
So can you guys tell me all the basic scales and all the necessary chords to learn?

Thanks and I hope you reply!
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Pro Tip - Neck pickup, tone dial rolled all the way off, makes tuners respond WAY more accurately. I only learned this trick fairly recently, and it actually works.
Pentatonic scale is the best place to start. Then add in the dimineshed 5th to the Pentatonic to make it the blues scale. Once you're comfortable with that, learn the blues scale in all of it's positions. You should have no problem improving after knowing the pentatonic scale.
why is everyone suggesting pentatonic, that scale is kinda useless, i never learned it, if you play metalcore you can start with: c minor and then c harmonic minor, d# augmented fifth, d be bop and skip all that useless stuff you will never use
Last edited by Reages at Feb 20, 2012,
Well if your looking for a basic scale that you can improvise off of then you should learn your pentatonic scales.
Trust me, I'm a Jedi.

Quote by Minkaro
You must control your use of the force, young Trizek.
This is for the minor pentatonic scale.

http://www.guitaristsource.com/lessons/scales/minor_pentatonic_scale.shtml

Try in learn it in one key all the way up the neck. Practice running through the scale within one box (position) until you've memorized it, then move to the next one. Where it says "1, 2, 3, 4, and 5" above and below the neck in the picture, those are the positions. Eventually, you'll learn how they all fit together. When you've become comfortable, move onto the next key.

A and E are probably the best keys to start with as far as I know.
Last edited by Shaunanaunanaun at Feb 20, 2012,
Quote by Reages
why is everyone suggesting pentatonic, that scale is kinda useless, i never learned it, if you play metalcore you can start with: c minor and then c harmonic minor, d# augmented fifth, d be bop and skip all that useless stuff you will never use

uhhhhh
Major and minor pentatonics and also the major scale are the most basic ones to learn in the begining, I recommend pentatonics first, they are easier to play and apply on improvisaton.
P.S.: I had the same guitar you have, very good for the price =)
Quote by Reages

I belive guys like Eric Johnson, Zakk Wylde, John Mclaughlin and many others guys don't think like that buddy
Alright thanks guys! Im planning on starting with the major scales and the the minor scales and the n the pentatonic major and minor. One more thing guys, dont I have to memorize all the diiferent positions of each and every single scale?
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Pro Tip - Neck pickup, tone dial rolled all the way off, makes tuners respond WAY more accurately. I only learned this trick fairly recently, and it actually works.
@bapguitar, Yeah amazing guitar for the price! Awesome tone and feel too! Im planning on dropping in a Distortion Mayhem Pickup Set!!!
One more thing, isn't it hard to memorize all the different positions of a single scale?
And what about the chords? What are the different types of chords I should learn to make cool clean parts for songs? If I know the chords, I can pick notes as arpeggios.
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
It's a little bit hard and it takes time, but don't worry, as long as you learn it you'll memorize the positions. Talking about chords, try to learn seventh chords, they will give you some different sounds, cheers.
Thanks!
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Quote by Reages

hahahahahaha because d# augmented fifth is extremely useful hahahahahaha

you see where i'm going with this.

listen to bapguitar. but make sure you learn the notes, too -- positions alone won't do much for you.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by AeolianWolf
hahahahahaha because d# augmented fifth is extremely useful hahahahahaha

you see where i'm going with this.

listen to bapguitar. but make sure you learn the notes, too -- positions alone won't do much for you.

when you play metalcore it is. it's same c minor with 1 added note which make riffs more aggressive and kinda adds that melodic death feel to it
Last edited by Reages at Feb 21, 2012,
Quote by Reages
when you play metalcore it is. it's same c minor with 1 added note which make riffs more aggressive and kinda adds that melodic death feel to it

Quote by Reages

Obviously a serious *core guy won't be that interested in the pentatonics but they're a great place to start learning.

The advantage of them is that they're relatively easy to start making music with, so they encourage you to play with your ears rather than to worry about keeping complicated patterns in your head. It's a great way to start introducing yourself to concepts like how changing chords affects your lead, etc.
Quote by Reages

plz lrn2theory...
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Guys Im not a 'SERIOUS *CORE' guy. I play everything other than blues and jazz. Its just that a like metalcore a wee bit more than the other stuff. I really wanna learn the pentatonics for making rock and hard rock solos and I need something that really melodic for metal and metal core. I saw the harmonic scales, but the only difference between that and the major/minor scales is that there is one extra note!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SwnE-wDu8A
These are the kinda riffs I wanna make. Melodic stuff. And I didnt like the first solo much the second solo is really cool! So what scales should I learn to make these kinda solos and riffs?

EDIT : CHECK THIS ONE OUT. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFxLso1M2J0&feature=related
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Last edited by amithkallupalam at Feb 22, 2012,
Honestly, start with the pentatonics.

Don't worry about the harmonic or melodic minor until you understand the major and minor. The minor scale variants exist for specific reasons related to aspects of the minor scale.

The reason you start with the pentatonics is because its easier to make music with them, and keep the focus on your ears where it should be. The thing about stuff like metalcore (which I have to admit is NOT my genre) is that it demands a high degree of technical skill - heck, my non-fans perspective is that metalcore places technical skill above anything else.

So if you start your approach playing metalcore, you're going to simply play bad metalcore for a while. I also think you'll develop lousy habits by thinking too technically - too focused on the fingers rather than your ears, too worried about the number of notes rather than making sure they all sound good.
Alright thanks everybody! Thanks a lot! Im gonna start learning the pentatonics! Starting Today!
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Quote by amithkallupalam
Guys Im not a 'SERIOUS *CORE' guy. I play everything other than blues and jazz. Its just that a like metalcore a wee bit more than the other stuff. I really wanna learn the pentatonics for making rock and hard rock solos and I need something that really melodic for metal and metal core. I saw the harmonic scales, but the only difference between that and the major/minor scales is that there is one extra note!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SwnE-wDu8A
These are the kinda riffs I wanna make. Melodic stuff. And I didnt like the first solo much the second solo is really cool! So what scales should I learn to make these kinda solos and riffs?

EDIT : CHECK THIS ONE OUT. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFxLso1M2J0&feature=related

it's written in comments: c harmonic minor