First off, I don't know which tread this belongs in. Please don't sue me.

I do know that an EP is basically a disc that doesn't have enough tracks to be considered an album, but how many tracks does a disc need to be considered an album?
Quote by stuntman133
Are you serious? If I checked that out (and actually understood it), I wouldn't ask this.

Taken from the first line of that page. 'An EP (short for extended play) is a musical recording which contains more music than a single, but is too short to qualify as a full album or LP.' So an EP is longer than a single but shorter than a full album, what isn't there to understand?
Hey there.
I'd say anything from 8-10 tracks would be the minimum to be considered an album
What about track length though? Like "Thick as a Brick". It's only two sides, and technically only two songs (or two parts of one song) but it clocks in at over 45 minutes. Same with Dream Theater. They have like, 6 or 7 songs but the albums are like and hour long.
Quote by TheTad00
I'd say anything from 8-10 tracks would be the minimum to be considered an album

Really, well I have a double album that only has four tracks. Yet it goes for over 90 minutes...

So you mean that doesn't classify as an album. Despite it being spread across two discs? Well **** me blind...
Well, yeah, I guess it would depend on the genre and the average length of the songs. But the shortest album I ever had was a Dragonforce album with 8 tracks.

And for the person above me, good for you. You don't have to be an ass about it.
Traditionally speaking, EPs (the records) had a limit of 25 minutes recording time. LPs (albums) had a limit of 40 minutes. These days whilst most modern albums would be regarded as "double" albums back in the day (as they often exceed the 40 minutes), LPs still seem to hover around the 15-25 minute mark.

Usually it's 4-6 tracks. If you have issues with this definition use 15-25 minutes.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by TheTad00
Well, yeah, I guess it would depend on the genre and the average length of the songs. But the shortest album I ever had was a Dragonforce album with 8 tracks.

And for the person above me, good for you. You don't have to be an ass about it.

I didn't have to, but it sure was fun.

But really I think it all boils down to running time rather than track number. Because there are plenty of bands that write songs that are 10 minutes plus and can fill an album with only a few tracks.

Although it really all comes down to what the band and label calls it. For example Between the Buried and Me released an EP last year that was 35 minutes. It had only three songs however. But if you go back you can look at Reign in Blood by Slayer which had 11(?) tracks and was only 28 minutes, yet was considered a full album.
Quote by LucasGtrGod
Really, well I have a double album that only has four tracks. Yet it goes for over 90 minutes...

So you mean that doesn't classify as an album. Despite it being spread across two discs? Well **** me blind...

Strangely enough, the last 2 songs on The Mars Volta's 'Frances the Mute' are split up into lots of individual tracks because the label would only pay them an EP's wages for the 5 tracks. Even though it's 77 minutes long

TS, I would say the cutoff is around the half hour point, although I've heard full lengths shorter than, and EPs longer than, 30 minutes.
Quote by guitarherolol
Taken from the first line of that page. 'An EP (short for extended play) is a musical recording which contains more music than a single, but is too short to qualify as a full album or LP.' So an EP is longer than a single but shorter than a full album, what isn't there to understand?

...I feel like an idiot.
Quote by LucasGtrGod
I didn't have to, but it sure was fun.

Who shoved the stick up your ass?

That is all.
Quote by TheTad00
Who shoved the stick up your ass?

That is all.

Dunno. Maybe the guy who takes himself too seriously on the internet...

Just a thought.

Quote by korinaflyingv
Strangely enough, the last 2 songs on The Mars Volta's 'Frances the Mute' are split up into lots of individual tracks because the label would only pay them an EP's wages for the 5 tracks. Even though it's 77 minutes long

That is true. I guess it really comes down to what the label wants to call it. In the seventies many prog bands were forced to split their songs up because the labels didn't consider an album with less than six tracks an album and would pay as such. Really no hard and fast differentiation. It's like, "just a feeling you get, man."
Last edited by LucasGtrGod at Feb 22, 2012,