I have 450$ to spend on a new amp since my crate gfx 1200h half stack is about to die ive had it for 3 years and i bought it for 210$ I play metal and punk. Im looking for a tube amp since ive never owned one. I know tube amps are louder than ss amps, but i dont know how many watts would be as loud as a 120w ss amp? I play a ibanez rg 120 and a ibanez rg mdx350 stock pickups on both, i plug them into a metal muff then to my amp. I like punchy distortion, lots of bass. So far Ive read reviews the vypyr tube and Vox Valvetronix VT100. Im going off of reviews on different websites since theres only like 3 music stores around here.
press ctrl + w
honestly, if you want a tube amp for metal, and you only have 450 bucks, youre pretty limited. With that said, I'd look into the Peavey Vypyr tube combo amps. Those are pretty sweet and have tons of effects. Also, if you wanna save up an extra 100 bucks or you can get the Peavey 6505 combo amp which is PERFECT for metal
Quote by chestercheetah
would the 6505 be loud enough?

God yes!! However I have heard that the 6505+ 112 isn't nearly as 'good' as the head version etc so maybe approach it with a bit of scepticism
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
Quote by barnesybaby
God yes!! However I have heard that the 6505+ 112 isn't nearly as 'good' as the head version etc so maybe approach it with a bit of scepticism

thats just because its 60w for the combo and 120w for the head. there are only minor differences between the two electronically.

if you don't want to save the extra couple hundred bucks for the 6505, check out the jet city jca22 (head or combo). pretty sweet amp with a pretty nice amount of gain on tap. its gonna have a marshall like tone but is designed after the soldano hot rod
Quote by chestercheetah

i got one, its a damn monster. any more than half volume and it starts to drown everything else out.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
SIZE DOWN!!!!!

You can get decent small amps that will tear your ****ing brains out for $300-$500 range, but you may be looking at a 30-40 watt amp.

Why do you want tube? Do you know what tube sounds like and do you want that sound?

If you are convinced that you need the tube sound then go tube, but don't go tube simply because "everyone's doing it." I'm not hot on tube. I prefer solid state because I think it just sounds better for me, and I can always run the sound through a "tubeifyer" type add-in or rack unit anyway.

Can't un-tube a tube sound, but you CAN tube up a solid state sound. How? Send it through a tube.

You can get a tube preamp for about $80 at Guitar Center. Pre-drive your signal through that, then send it through your solid state amp, or do it on the back end. Doesn't matter.

I am mostly into recording and I find that solid state gives me flexibility. I can record direct nearly noise free (can't do that with a tube) - and yes the noise is part of the appeal of tubes, but YOU CAN'T GET RID OF IT!

Just some food for thought.

Be smart about your purchases and invest in bits and pieces that will build into your final dream rig.

My rig is this:

Vox VT40+ (40 watts, solid state)
-->Mic into a recording console OR a TUBE pre-amp (and I can get the tube sound!)
-->Direct into my VST OR again the tube pre
I can mix and manipulate and add all kinds of effects and crazy add-ons in my VST.

Then it's out to a 400 watt solid-state (again, less noise) amp AND a 200 watt (800 peak) bass amp and sub-woofer.

The Vox is fine as a stand-alone and I can over-power a drummer with it. If I place it in a corner and take advantage of the solid walls of the architecture then it is plenty loud.

I can also sit in my living room with headphones on and my baby sleeping peacefully in another room and lay down vicious black metal riffs with an end result that SOUNDS like a wall of tube-driven speakers in a night club.

...minus the bar fights. I kind of got tired of those after a while.
Quote by I K0nijn I
Bugera has some nice stuff if you trust their quality control enough.

True story. Something must have gotten better though or they wouldn't have just upped the manufacture warranty to 3 years. I actually just got a new 333xl head and I couldn't be happier. NAD coming soon
Quote by Floss Ninja
=
You can get a tube preamp for about $80 at Guitar Center. Pre-drive your signal through that, then send it through your solid state amp, or do it on the back end. Doesn't matter.

I thought those were gimmicks
If it was that simple, surely everyone would get a modeling amp and run the guitar through the tube preamp first.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Peavey Valvekings go for pretty cheap used, usually around $300. Those can handle metal decently for the price. Raise your budget a bit more and you could probably grab a used 5150 or XXX/Ultra.

I've also seen a few used Jet City JCA100h heads going for around $450 on Guitar Center's Used Gear site. Those would handle metal better than the Valveking.
Quote by Floss Ninja
SIZE DOWN!!!!!

You can get decent small amps that will tear your ****ing brains out for $300-$500 range, but you may be looking at a 30-40 watt amp.

Why do you want tube? Do you know what tube sounds like and do you want that sound?

If you are convinced that you need the tube sound then go tube, but don't go tube simply because "everyone's doing it." I'm not hot on tube. I prefer solid state because I think it just sounds better for me, and I can always run the sound through a "tubeifyer" type add-in or rack unit anyway.

Can't un-tube a tube sound, but you CAN tube up a solid state sound. How? Send it through a tube.

I am mostly into recording and I find that solid state gives me flexibility. I can record direct nearly noise free (can't do that with a tube) - and yes the noise is part of the appeal of tubes, but YOU CAN'T GET RID OF IT!

Just some food for thought.

Be smart about your purchases and invest in bits and pieces that will build into your final dream rig.

My rig is this:

Vox VT40+ (40 watts, solid state)
-->Mic into a recording console OR a TUBE pre-amp (and I can get the tube sound!)
-->Direct into my VST OR again the tube pre
I can mix and manipulate and add all kinds of effects and crazy add-ons in my VST.

Then it's out to a 400 watt solid-state (again, less noise) amp AND a 200 watt (800 peak) bass amp and sub-woofer.

The Vox is fine as a stand-alone and I can over-power a drummer with it. If I place it in a corner and take advantage of the solid walls of the architecture then it is plenty loud.

I can also sit in my living room with headphones on and my baby sleeping peacefully in another room and lay down vicious black metal riffs with an end result that SOUNDS like a wall of tube-driven speakers in a night club.

...minus the bar fights. I kind of got tired of those after a while.

that doesn't even make sense...i call shenanigans!
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
ive seen used peavey vypyr tube 120s for $400 and i got my tube 60 for $249.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by chestercheetah

Haha...go to a store, set the volume on "2" and watch the salespeople come running.

In essence, yes, they're loud enough. 60 tube watts, even though one 12" speaker will drown-out most solid state halfstacks...
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood