Thanks guys for all your responses.

So now I'm exploring how guitar maitainence can bring you closer to your guitar.
Things like changing the strings and setting the intonation etc.
If you could brainstorm things you do to look after your guitar and how this potentially makes you more attached to the instrument, that would be great!
Polishing, soaking the fretboar anything like that!

Also I'm about to make a poll, and post a thread about guitar versatility.
Check them out!

Shove the headstock up my ass obviously.

Next.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Caring for the guitar does not make me closer to it. I ****ing hate changing strings and polishing it, which is why my main guitar is a matte finish and the strings are like 4 months old
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Clean out any and all gunk on your fretboard, dab one side of a rag in a few drops of olive oil and rub it on the fretboard. Use the clean side of the rag to rub it off. Old pirate luthier told me this trick - been following his word and have seen good results.

Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Shove the headstock up my ass obviously.

Next.

Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Don't know about maintenance, but I like to carve in phrases and stuff with a knife on my guitars. Makes them more personal. On the other hand one of my favorite guitars don't have anything like that because it was so expensive (at least for my economy) that I just don't dare touch it. But my accoustics all look pretty dope and their all full of stuff, my favorite being a broken second hand nylon that had been repaired and went for 12 euro in Berlin, which me and my friends carried with us everywhere on our inter-rail trip. It has every city we visited on our trip on the back (kinda like those tour band t-shirts), the Finnish flag on the headstock and all our names, plus a lot of random quotes and stick men
You'll Never Walk Alone!
i've built 3 strats now, i totally feel you on getting closer to the guitar by working with it. here are my suggestions:

-truss rod adjustments...you gotta put time in to that and you have to be gentle.
-assembling your own wiring/adding electronics mods. makes you really listen to what's coming out of the amp
-building my own guitars has taught me so much about the technical aspects of the instrument, hands-on learning is key!

good luck, sounds like a sweet topic
Quote by Acϵ♠
Caring for the guitar does not make me closer to it. I ****ing hate changing strings and polishing it, which is why my main guitar is a matte finish and the strings are like 4 months old

Yes, this.

Playing my guitar makes me like it. Seeing the headstock and parts of the bridge all covered in crap and dust and knowing i have to clean it and having to change strings makes me frickin hate it. I think i had my last lot of strings on for over a year and only changed them in the end cos they sounded completely shit. Sustain was literally zero.
I feel a sense of accomplishment when cleaned up and done maintenance on my guitars.

It looks better, it sounds brighter, i usually have to put aside an entire afternoon once every month or 2 (3 electrics, 2 with floyd rose bridges and an acoustic) to change everything up, but its a labour of love i think. plus its cool to figure out the inner working of the instrument, if i didn't live in a one bedroom apartment in a terrible part of Toronto, i'd probably learn to do more maintenance stuff including changing pots and swapping pick-ups as DIY projects

when i move to the burbs and get a garage it's likely what i'll do. I find i appreciate them more when i clean them up a bit
I used to be a goddamn saint. I said my prayers and handled snakes until the road introduced me to sin. I only shook hands with drink but he had friends with him
I like it to look purtty, so I do all I can to maintain its beauty.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
I don't clean my guitar.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
I don't do ANYTHING to my guitars sept change strings when absolutely necessary and truss rod tweak when changing said strings if needed. Otherwise it gets beat and worn to shit for authentic vintage look
AMP:
Rocktron chameleon 2000
Roland GP16
Audio Technica wireless
Peavey valveking
Clydesdale custom case
GUITAR:
Indie super T black (modded with active and passive pickups)
Daisy Rock Rock Candy Special
Quote by Muffinz
But my accoustics all look pretty dope and their all full of stuff, my favorite being a broken second hand nylon that had been repaired and went for 12 euro in Berlin

I love working on guitars, changing strings, polishing them, etc. It's very relaxing
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
I hate changing my strings, ever since one snapped in my eye I get all on-edge.

I do however, like cleaning it. That's a relaxing experience.