Hi !

I'm just wondering a question about "move of the right hand" :

I saw that I use my index phalanx and a little my thumb to move the pick and not totally my wrist.

I must fix it ? It's a bad habit ?

What is the difference between using the wrist and using these 2 fingers to move the pick ?

Using my fingers to move the pick can slow down my picking ?

And if I must fix it, how change it ?

Thanks !
"Sans la musique, la vie serait une erreur" Nietzsche
I'm incapable of moving the pick with my fingers but I've heard this is the most effective way while lurking here, so I wouldn't say to stop. Also, it isn't one of those habits people talk about often as being bad (anchoring etc) so as long as you feel comfortable I think you'll be fine.
It's not really a bad habit, just an unorthodox one. There are some very good players who use that picking style (I believe it's called oscillation, though I could be wrong). It's very economical for picking on a single string, but it's a little more challenging to switch strings because you have a smaller range of motion from your fingers as opposed to your wrist, though you do have a bit more fine control over your dynamics (though it's nothing that you couldn't learn to do with your wrist).

It's up to you, though if you want to use techniques that use larger strokes (economy picking, string skipping, and strumming), you'll probably end up using your wrist for those motions, since it gives you a larger range of motion that your fingers.
I think that you are incapable of moving the pick with your fingers because you don't hold the pick like I do but ... it's not the subject ^^

So as long as I feel comfortable with it, I can keep this habit ... ok

But sometimes I use my wrist and sometime I use my fingers : for example, when I do a tremolo picking on one string I use my wrist but when I do picked arppegios (so not in sweep) I use my fingers ... it's weird
Last edited by Syndromed at Feb 20, 2012,
I think you should switch to wrist. You would have to change motion completely if you wanted to do powerful all-downstroke riffs or it would probably sound very sad. I cannot imagine that you have the same range of picking force with that technique. All players I encountered that were using that picking technique in fact didn´t really play with balls, it might be coincidence but I doubt it.
I can use either of the two.

I find with wrist I get a stronger attack that cuts through the string better and gets a stronger tone.

Thumb and index gives less attack and a quieter tone. Can give an edgy tremolo picking sound, but isnt shred appropriate if that's what your after.

I find thumb and index picking very awkward on thinner strings.
Quote by Facecut
I think you should switch to wrist. You would have to change motion completely if you wanted to do powerful all-downstroke riffs or it would probably sound very sad. I cannot imagine that you have the same range of picking force with that technique. All players I encountered that were using that picking technique in fact didn´t really play with balls, it might be coincidence but I doubt it.

As I said, I use my wrist when I'm on one string, so for a riff in downpicking I use my wrist
Or when I want to hit a bend note with a lot of strength I hit it with my wrist.

The problem is that when I do some arppegios (so one note per string not in sweep) I use my index and my thumb to change string and I'm wondering if doing this can slow me down.
Quote by Syndromed
As I said, I use my wrist when I'm on one string, so for a riff in downpicking I use my wrist
Or when I want to hit a bend note with a lot of strength I hit it with my wrist.

The problem is that when I do some arppegios (so one note per string not in sweep) I use my index and my thumb to change string and I'm wondering if doing this can slow me down.

So if I get you right it is a special technique for picked arpeggios. For all other stuff you use your wrist? That´s not too bad I guess. I don´t know how fast you can pick arpeggios that way and what you are aiming for. Sweeping gets comfortable for 16th notes above around 130bpm so you should be able to alternate pick up to that tempo.
It's not really a "special technique", I just can do it because I hold my pick with my thumb pushes against the pick and my pick is along the phalanx (not on the side but inside) of my index finger and so I can move my phalanx and my thumb to move the pick (but I can also not move my phalanx and my thumb and so the pick can't move and my wrist is used).

It's a very weird sh*t :P

I think picked arppegios are harder to pick than sweeped arppegios ... anyway, I'll see if it prevents me to progress in speed after a moment.
I don't want to open a new tread so I rewrite here, sorry for the double post.

Have you some video about how to place the right hand on the string and about the move of the wrist (rotation etc...) please ?

My wrist rotates (nearly parallel to the strings when I play on the lower strings and almost perpendicular to the strings when I play on the treble strings), the problem: when it is at lower strings, is good, but when it is at treble strings, due to the rotation of my wrist, the angle of my pick is also changing, and it becomes almost as parallel to the strings, which is not good: (

Thanks!
Freepower, I love you, thanks !
I have a question about the angle of the pick (in relation with the wrist).

--- = string

The pick should be angled like this : ----/-------
The wrong angle is : ---__------ right ? (so parallel to the string)

But me, my angle is like this : ----\---- (so the opposite of the first one)

It is a bad thing ?
Quote by Syndromed
I have a question about the angle of the pick (in relation with the wrist).

--- = string

The pick should be angled like this : ----/-------
The wrong angle is : ---__------ right ? (so parallel to the string)

But me, my angle is like this : ----\---- (so the opposite of the first one)

It is a bad thing ?

if your nerves are getting pinched or any part of your hand arm is tense because of this then yup, if none of the above mentioned happens youre good to go

Shawn Lane used the non typical angle btw.
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
As you said, the problem is the muting, it's hard to find a stable point and to keep the pick angled, I'm gonna make a video or take a photo to show you how I do it.

If I try to do the first thing ("The pick should be angled like this : ----/------- "), I must change my way to hold the pick.

Thanks.