Genre and tuning doesn't really matter (metal preferred though), looking for some hard bass lines to learn that i'll be able to play on a 4-string. The longer the better, tha harder the better (that's what she said). Will take any suggestions that are famous enough so that i'll be able to find a power tab for it.
Try one of the Bach Cello concerto's? Pretty technical and if i remember correctly there are some decent tabs on here
Victor Wooten's Classical Thump if you want something a little more recent. Insanely hard stuff.
Quote by SamWhiteBASS
Try one of the Bach Cello concerto's? Pretty technical and if i remember correctly there are some decent tabs on here

Boneriffic suggestion, learning one of em' now

Quote by Aays
Victor Wooten's Classical Thump if you want something a little more recent. Insanely hard stuff.

Already know it, but thanks. I think that i already know everything of Victor Wooten's that i have an interest in playing, or everything I can find on THIS site anyways.
Jeff Berlin - Tears In Heaven
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman "StatusRay" Stingray 4 - Carbon Fibre Neck
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
The Ytse Jam - Dream Theater
THE GREAT AND POWERFUL TRIXIE

DREAM THEATER

THE DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT

SEVENTH WONDER

MUSICMAN BONGO 6HH
EBS REIDMAR

YOUTUBE
TWITTER
TUMBLR
Last edited by BassMasta121 at Feb 20, 2012,
try Skitzo by Adam Nitti.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Day of the Baphomets by the Mars Volta. The intro alone should provide a good challenge for you.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
Anaesthesia - Pulling Teeth?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
YYZ - Rush. Starship Trooper - Yes.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Just about anything by Protest the Hero would work
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
No Protest the Queero suggestions. Sorry, shoulda mentioned in the original post.
Dream theater has some really sweet lines but their more complex stuff can't be played on a 4-string.
Quote by J.Rice
No Protest the Queero suggestions. Sorry, shoulda mentioned in the original post.
Dream theater has some really sweet lines but their more complex stuff can't be played on a 4-string.

Not like Arif hasn't been the BPOTM for like half a year or anything.
I don't know why the hate for PTH
I guess it's that Metal self-hating elitist thing.

Learn some Death. The Philosopher or Scavenger Of Human Sorrow.

Rush's By-Tor and the Snow Dog it's pretty simple and fun, worth spending the time to learn it though. Get your playing in D nice and solid.

Or learn The Magic Elf's Calamity Castle (my old bass teacher =D)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8KiEJlWpqo
He had given me the sheet music for it a long time ago, but I've lost it. Owell, learn it by ear, metal boy.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Quote by King Of Suede

I don't know why the hate for PTH
I guess it's that Metal self-hating elitist thing.

not everyone who doesn't like something is on a bandwagon

I don't like PTH, BTBAM or Tool

come at me bro

Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
It was the "Protest the Queero" comment.
I'm sure when you have a line like that, you try to find every chance you get to use it (I know I try to use "As I Gay Crying" and "A Gay to Remember")

Just came off sorta douchy when you as for long, challenging metal songs and then say NOT BANDS LIKE PTH CAUSE THEY'RE GAY.

And I wasn't talking about bandwagoning. I was referring to the problem that a lot of metal/hardcore kids run into where it's like "I like death metal. Anything that's not death metal is gay." Just seems like metal kiddies box themselves in so hard.
dig?
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Last edited by King Of Suede at Feb 21, 2012,
Quote by gilly_90
not everyone who doesn't like something is on a bandwagon

I don't like PTH, BTBAM or Tool

come at me bro

We may have similar tastes!

Quote by King Of Suede
It was the "Protest the Queero" comment.
I'm sure when you have a line like that, you try to find every chance you get to use it (I know I try to use "As I Gay Crying" and "A Gay to Remember")

Just came off sorta douchy when you as for long, challenging metal songs and then say NOT BANDS LIKE PTH CAUSE THEY'RE GAY.

And I wasn't talking about bandwagoning. I was referring to the problem that a lot of metal/hardcore kids run into where it's like "I like death metal. Anything that's not death metal is gay." Just seems like metal kiddies box themselves in so hard.
dig?

I enjoy all genres of music, and don't consider myself a "metal/hardcore kid" whatever that REALLY is. I listen to what i find good. And i think it's acceptable to compare the ones that i find bad to fagg0ts. If gay people have a problem with that, then they can compare bands that they find bad to straight people, I D G A F!

"A Gay to Remember" made me laugh. I'll have to use that.

Any more suggestions?
Quote by J.Rice
And i think it's acceptable to compare the ones that i find bad to fagg0ts. If gay people have a problem with that, then they can compare bands that they find bad to straight people, I D G A F!

And that made you seem like a pretentious a-hole.

Anyway, a song that comes to mind is: Lõrincz Viktor with Boomerang: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxFYSrjrs7U
Gear:

Fender American Hand Stained stratocaster
Fender 72' Telecaster Deluxe FSR

Squier Vista Venus

Boss TU-3
Boss OD-3
Pro co Rat 2
EHX Big Muff Nano
EHX Small clone
Boss DD7
Hardwire Supernatural

Vox AC30cc1
Blackheart Little Giant stack
Quote by J.Rice

You don't have to like ay band you don't want, but you asked for complex long metal bass lines. And Unfortunately PTH and Tool are some of the best examples of what you wanted.

learn some Victor wooten,Les Claypool stuff. You'll find most bassest that do what your wanting are using 5+ string basses. So maybe you need a new bass and some more skill using that 5+ string bass to pull off those songs, if you have 4 strings down, you should be able to pickup the 5 string fairly quick.

You could hop on the "I wanna suck Mastadons dick bandwagon" or play some Korn
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Doesn't get more complex then learning some heads and then learning the chord changes so you can walk/solo all you want.

Complex pieces/changes? Donna Lee and Giant Steps (cliche but I really don't care)

Actually i've been listening to Something for Larry by Ray Brown, all upright stuff but the songs he's doing have some pretty cool chord changes, would definitely recommend Georgia (the standard, not ray browns time changing super piano sex music)

EDIT: read the OP, i'm shit at metal, do not mind a bit of mastodon right now though
Last edited by Bass First at Feb 22, 2012,
Oh, if we wanna bring in jazz,

Anthropology
Scrapple from the Apple
Long As You Know You're Living Yours
The Bean Song
Well You Needn't
Blues Connotation
Oleo
Waltz For Debbie
Re: Person I Knew
Got A Match
blahblahblahblahblahblah
Quote by Banjocal