how much can a new speaker affect my tone and what can it do for me?

i have a VHT special 6 ultra that i use clean with distortion and various other effects through the front of the amp.

what type of speaker would make a monumental improvement on my tone? (i play mostly metal but do like to have nice cleans)
there's a few options depending on what you want.

but actually... the stock VHT Chromeback is a VERY good speaker and suits the amp very well, I'm using the S6U myself and have tried the Eminence Governor, Private Jack and Wizard in there, (I have 12" speakers lying about the place, haha) but I've gone back to the Chromeback

Of the 3 I tried I got a little tighter low end from the Wizard and a chunkier low end with some high end twinkle from the Governor, if I didn't like the chromeback sound I would probably go with the guv' but really... the chromeback was built by vht with the way they build their amps in mind, it works well.
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
i got a massive improvement over the stock speaker in my bog standard special 6, but then it has the 10" speaker- masybe the 12" chromeback is a lot better

off the top of my head, a texas herat might work well- it's a more american-voiced amp so personally i'd use a US-voiced speaker. though the th is quite dark, so that's worth bearing in mind.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
in an honest opinion, would i be better off swapping out speakers and working with what i have, or saving up for a new amp?

i'm trying to look at it from a financial stand point. i'm going to college next year and will be lucky if i can bring a small modeling amp with me. so whatever i get would stay at home for the most part

if i got a new amp, i'd sell my current amp along with all of my pedals so that i'm paying as little out of pocket as possible
^ yeah that's the $65,000 question

I dunno, is the honest answer. I mean even with a "better" amp you're probably not going to want to sell all of your pedals. And you could always put the speaker into any new amp you get later (if the impedances, wattage etc. match) or sell it if it doesn't suit the amp or match up.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?