So, last night I got home from work, picked up my guitar, and noticed that the volume pot was pretty loose, which is odd because it was just fine before I left, but whatever.

Anyway, I looked up how to tighten the pots on guitars (I'd never had to do it before, in the 4 years that I've played), pulled off the volume pot, tightened the nut, and now the pot won't go back down onto the volume control all the way flush with the guitar.

A comparison with the tone knob on the left and volume on the right.

Anyone know what's going on? I google searched for about 2 hours and came up with literally no results whatsoever, and it's extremely frustrating, because this renders my volume control almost useless.
Last edited by CTID41 at Feb 20, 2012,
What exactly is wrong? The knob won't go back on all the way? How is that making the volume knob useless?
It won't actually turn the volume control anymore since it's not seating down onto the guitar. It's not useless so much as more of a pain, but I really have no idea why it's not going back down onto the guitar, nothing at all broke, and there's nothing to line up with the slot on the control itself. I took the knob off, tightened the nut, and tried to stick the knob back on and it won't go back down, regardless of how much force I put behind it.
itsnot really a problem but i think your volume pot shoud have two nuts(hehe)and washers on the inside and the outside you tighten both of them to makes it flush with the guitar if its bothering you that much
So to tighten it down all the way, I essentially have to open up the back of my guitar and tighten the other side, as well?

EDIT: It's not so much a discomfort thing as it that the volume technically can't turn off because as soon as it turns itself all the way down it unloosens and goes back to full volume. There's no stopping points when I rotate the control so it'll just loop back and forth between low and full volumes.
Last edited by CTID41 at Feb 20, 2012,
You likely have a nuts on both sides of the shaft. The interior nut has probably spun a little, causing the shaft/knob to be higher than normal.

Remove the knob.
Remove the nut.
Remove the back cover plate.
Carefully pull out the pot and adjust the inner nut.
Reinstall the pot and the nut and check the knob height.
If it's still too high or too low, redo it.
Quote by CTID41
So to tighten it down all the way, I essentially have to open up the back of my guitar and tighten the other side, as well?

yeah basically my guitar had washers on the inside to help the pot not be to high and so the konb is flush with the body
There is no screw, it just pushes on until it gets to the guitar and it's held on by friction.
I think what ended up happening is the pot broke at some point while I was playing, because the volume control itself seperated from the base of it, which I'm not sure is supposed to be able to happen.

Quote by CTID41
I think what ended up happening is the pot broke at some point while I was playing, because the volume control itself seperated from the base of it, which I'm not sure is supposed to be able to happen.

Seems like a good time to learn how to solder....
Gear:
1998 PRS CE 22-10 Top Natural Finish
MIM HSS Strat-Electron Blue
Vox AC4TV