Or in my case, which kind of guitar.
Hey UG, I've been playing the guitar for about a year now and I finally want an electric.
I've pretty much narrowed it down to either the Squier CV Stratocaster or the Epiphone Les Paul Standart (two very different guitars, I know).
But lets talk about me first, shall we

My budget is around 300€ for the guitar. Could go a little higher, but I'll probably buy used.

My favourite artists/bands are RHCP, Led Zeppelin, Eric Clapton (Cream), Santana, Jimi Hendrix. I'll play mostly classic/blues rock and I guess a little ACDC or GNR but it won't get any harder than that . I really like the sound of Santana, but then again Clapton and Hendrix, too..... ;(

Concerning body shapes, both the LP and ST bodies are fine to me. I dislike the Telecaster body, though.

My current gear consists of a Seagull S6.

I live in Germany and have a big guitar store close to me.
I've already tried out the LP and CV and soundwise, on a good amp(I believe it was a Mesa Boogie) I prefered the LP, on a bad amp (Roland Micro Cube) I couldn't hear out a difference. Regarding playability and feel, i liked the CV more. The neck was just amazing compared to the LP (don't get me wrong, I don't have any problems with wide necks). The CV wasn't really well built at all. It fretted out, and the high e-string kept on jumping out of the nut. I guess it was just that one?

To sum it up; Sound: LP
Playability and Feel: CV

I hope to get some advice from some more experienced players, It doesn't necessarily have to be the Epi LP or the CV, if somebody knows better guitars for the price, please tell me .
A well set up Epiphone can be a superb guitar and last you for a long long time.

Fenders.... unless it is an American made one meh i'd forget about it.

Maybe try an Ibanez RG350 with a set up a pick-up change and tweaking the bridge a little you can have a very nice guitar.
"Fenders.... unless it is an American made one meh i'd forget about it."

Pfffft that's a ridiculous statement.... Obvious troll is obvious...

The Epiphone Les Paul Standard is a very nice guitar and will suit Led Zeppelin, GNR and probably would do okay at some ACDC where as a Stratocaster will get you the tones for the other bands you listed. Based off of this comment " I really like the sound of Santana, but then again Clapton and Hendrix, too..... ;(" I would go with the CV. I am going to be getting a CV myself real soon and they are awesome guitars.

You really need to try them out a few more times and see which one you prefer and what style of music you would prefer to play. I mean you can still play ACDC and the other stuff on a Strat it just won't tonally sound as accurate as say a SG or Les Paul.

Just saw your other comments about the CV and that doesn't sound like a build problem but rather a set up problem. A well set up guitar regardless of make shouldn't do anything like that.
Last edited by ibanart300 at Feb 20, 2012,
yamaha pacifica 112v? if you like the gibson sound but the feel of a strat more, get a superstrat.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thank you for your answers!

I think I'm going for the CV. But 50's or 60's? What would you recommend? I've only played the 50's and I think my shop needs to order the 60's first.
i really think something with a bridge humbucker would be useful for the range of tones you want
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If I where you I'd also look at Ibanez or ESP LTD. They both make some pretty good guitars within your price range. Squier you really get less than what you pay for. If you know what I mean. Epiphone if and I say "IF", it's a Les Paul Custom Model. Those are okay they are usually made out of Mahogany not Basswood or simply man continue shopping around.
My Gear :
Gibson Gothic Explorer
Epiphone Les Paul Zakk Wlyde (Korean)
ESP LTD EC-1000vb
Jackson RR24m
Kramer Focus HSS
Alvarez Acoustic
91-95 Peavey 5150 2x12
Marshall MG 250 DFX 2x12
VOX ToneLab ST Muti Effects
Avoid Squier. In my experience they're uncomfortably small and have horrible tone. You might want to consider an Epiphone Dot too... a bit pricier, but an excellent guitar.
-Epiphone Dot
-Schecter Omen 6
-Dean Markley Acoustic
-Vox Pathfinder 15R
-Vox Lil' Nightrain
-BOSS ME-70