Page 1 of 2
As a casual reader who would occasionally pick up a random book from a book store, I stumbled upon Duma Key by Stephen King a couple of years back. It was unlike anything I had ever read before. The attention to detail and description, as well as the way he can make something supernatural seem so plausible just blew my mind. Since then I have bought and read most of his books. Basically a huge fanboy who isn't afraid to admit it.

So, for those who are interested, here is a thread to discuss Mr. King and his works. Are you a fan/not a fan? Favourite/Least favourite books etc...
Duma Key was the first Stephen King book I bought too I saw it at the airport and bought it because it looked like most interesting large book I could find. I also wanted to try Stephen King.

I actually think Duma Key might be my favourite book by him. I've only read 6 so far though (The Shining, Carrie, Under the Dome, The Talisman, Black House)
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

I used to have a copy of Rage, which is now discontinued And favorite book is It.

Edit: You're talking about Cujo ^ Which I actually named my first dog
I was a huge Stephen King fan back in school. He helped me grow up and tore me away from the Potter franchise. However, recently, I started reading a few of his books again and I found the plots to be quite anti-climatic. I don't know if it's because a second read-through dilutes the tension it once had or if he really isn't that good a novelist. I'll always love 'It' though.
Hoof Hearted
I also started reading King in school. Absolutely loved his books for years, even after realising how formulaic they tend to be I'm still a big fan, even though I don't tend to read very much these days
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
Desperation is pretty good. But seriously, check out Dean Koontz too. 'The taking', 'Intensity', and 'Odd Thomas' are all very different, very amazing books. The Taking is probably my favorite, along with Odd Thomas, but Intensity is very good, however its exactly what its named after, intense. I dont recommend the light reader pick that book up
just give me a fender and let me rip
Quote by OddOneOut
Duma Key was the first Stephen King book I bought too I saw it at the airport and bought it because it looked like most interesting large book I could find. I also wanted to try Stephen King.

I actually think Duma Key might be my favourite book by him. I've only read 6 so far though (The Shining, Carrie, Under the Dome, The Talisman, Black House)

Duma Key is still one of my favourites too, maybe because it was the first impression. There have been stories I have read sense that have become foggy in my memory, but I can still remember most of the details of that one.
Got nothing on Susan Hill.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
The Stand and The Lawnmower Man are my favorite by S King.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
My favorite is 'Salem's Lot. I read The Green Mile, The Shining, Carrie, and Cell too. The Green Mile and Carrie were more sad than scary though
Quote by element4433
Be subtle with it. Don't like molest him.

And cup his balls.

Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.
I like King.

For the moment though, I have only read Pet Semetary (liked it) Cell (pretty good) Insomnia (I thought it was very good) Liseys Story (excellent book).
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
The Stand was fantastic.

I really enjoyed Cujo, too. It had a really intricate plot to snowball the events until the very end was a clusterfuck. Good writing.
I really like Salem's Lot.

You know what sucks though, all this current vampire craze fangirls. Ask them about Salem's Lot and they go huh?

Dark Tower series is good but only for the first like 4 or 5 books (I think Wolves was the last good one) Basically anything up until the point where he wrote himself into the book.
I was actually going to go to the bookstore tomorrow with the idea of getting a King book. I just googled Duma Key, seems interesting. I think I'lll get that one. Don't let me down TS, this best be good.
I read like 30 of his books my first 2 years of High School, stopped reading so much after that.

He definitely knows how to keep people flipping pages.
I've only read Salem's Lot, but I enjoyed it. Might try and read The Stand sometime this decade.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
The Dark Tower series are some of my favorite books. I'm in the middle of Salem's Lot at the moment.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
My two favorite King works are actually two of those books containing four stories each.
Four Past Midnight and Full Dark, No Stars

I also really enjoyed his newest, 11/22/63.

Also, can't wait for Dr. Sleep. Hopefully it's announced soon.
Quote by blake1221
The Stand was fantastic.

The Stand was the most horrendous book I have ever read. 800 pages of build up, only for them to get blown up at the end?!

Saying that, The Green Mile is amazing.

And I enjoyed The Dead Zone.
Last edited by fender_696 at Feb 20, 2012,
I can't use a garbage disposal without thinking about Firestarter.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Follow me on the tweet machine. I tweet about interesting things like the weather and what I ate for breakfast.
I really appreciate others who can really read a book, get into and stick with it. I wish I could. My mind goes in so many different directions when I start reading any kind of book. The only book I really started getting into was The Hobbit, then some jackass in my class (back in high school) ruined the end. I was totally imagining the landscape, scenery, everything all in my head and then he ruined the end, which I don't remember, so I stopped reading it. My girlfriend read all 7 Harry Potter books in a few weeks, I think. I just can't commit to it, I guess. I really liked Stephen King's "The Green Mile" in movie form and also "The Night Flier", but I doubt I'd ever sit down and read the entire book of those two.
ESP Eclipse II SW - D'Addario 11-49 Eb
LTD F-400FM - Ernie Ball 12-56 C#
Ibanez Iceman 300
Peavey Transtube 112 EFX
The Dark Tower series, The Stand, Duma Key, Pet Semetary, Salems Lot, It.

There's your SK superpack for ya.

Also "On Writing" is fantastic as well, although obviously not a suspense novel.
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Last edited by Carnivean at Feb 20, 2012,
"my life for you!"

If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
I like Steven King.

I've read Duma Key and thought it was really good and a great idea as well. Also read The Green Mile, The Shining and On Writing.

I've seen some movie adaptions to (like Misery) but haven't read them yet.

Got the complete and uncut edition of The Stand sitting there, might read it after my current book.

Quote by High&Mighty
I was actually going to go to the bookstore tomorrow with the idea of getting a King book. I just googled Duma Key, seems interesting. I think I'lll get that one. Don't let me down TS, this best be good.

I'd say its definitely worth a read as well, so that's two.
I really liked The Dark Tower series. Other than that he's been hit or miss for me. I've maybe read 3-4 books of his other than that series, and none were quite as interesting.
I live 15 minutes from Stephen King and I haven't read a single one of his books. I'll get to it eventually
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Misery is by far my favorite !
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
Quote by bastards
I live 15 minutes from Stephen King and I haven't read a single one of his books. I'll get to it eventually

I also lived in Maine for most of last year. It was strange reading his books while living in a city that is mentioned several times. Adds something to the realism of the stories.
Pet Sematary was creepy as ****. Suspense full and kept me up a couple of nights. The shining was also great although i preferred Pet Sematary.
If you're traveling in the North Country Fair
Where the winds hit heavy on the borderline
Remember me to the one who lives there
For she once was a true love of mine
the shining was the only one of King's books that actually scared me. those hedge animals....
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
I used to love Steven King's books, but I haven't read one in ages. I've been meaning to read the Dark Tower series for like the past 2 years, but I keep reading other shit.
Seems as though almost everyone has read Duma Key.
Maybe I should get that next...

It was recommended to me by my teacher a few years back, but I never did pick it up
I really enjoy King's writing. So far I've read The Dead Zone, 'Salem's Lot, It, and Everytihng's Eventual. My favorite so far has been It. The characters are very real and their development is great. I've yet to read it again, but I'm sure I'll get to it soon. I've been considering getting Dreamcatcher, has anyone read that? And if so, how was it?
Quote by DukeDeRox
Obviously you got this.
Another aspect of his writing that I like is that you never know how the story is going to end. The main character doesn't always live happily ever after, which leaves you guessing right up until the end.
Page 1 of 2