Hey guys,

I've played an Epiphone G400 for many years and love the SG shape and Gibson feel.

Unfortunately it fell from a height onto it's head and the neck cracked quite badly. I had it repaired and re-glued a year and a half ago and it's held out quite well, but I'm thinking that a new guitar may be in order. /

Now I'm a bit better off that I was before and was looking at getting something along these lines.

However for not that much more I can get something like THIS!

Aesthetics aside can the basic Gibbo really be that much better than the top end Epi?

Cheers!
now, hundreds of people are gonna come along and say "you pay for the name when you buy a gibson, get the epiphone", and i recommend that you ignore it and go out and try both and see which you like best.

i personally find that gibsons are better quality overall, but there can be some dodgy ones, and likewise there can be some really good epiphones too - there's a potential for a bit of a crossover, but generally, you're paying for build quality when you buy a gibson, and you're paying a bit for the cosmetic frills with the epi.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Gibson.

Unless your in the UK.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Blompcube
now, hundreds of people are gonna come along and say "you pay for the name when you buy a gibson, get the epiphone", and i recommend that you ignore it and go out and try both and see which you like best.

i personally find that gibsons are better quality overall, but there can be some dodgy ones, and likewise there can be some really good epiphones too - there's a potential for a bit of a crossover, but generally, you're paying for build quality when you buy a gibson, and you're paying a bit for the cosmetic frills with the epi.

+1

Quote by Tom 1.0
Gibson.

Unless your in the UK.

+1

in europe get an mij tokai, gordon smith or something like that
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for the quick replies guys.

I am indeed in the UK, so I feel bound to ask why I shouldn't bother getting a Gibson in the UK? Are they not all made in the same place?

Cheers
If possible play both and then decide.I have a friend that has 4 very nice Gibsons and his favorite guitar is a$200 Jay Turser LP copy.Go figure.He plays the hell out of it though.
Luna Andromeda dragon bass
Schecter Omen Extreme
Fender strat
Fender Labrea electic/acoustic
Peavey tour 450
Peavey tour 410/115
Galien-kruger Backline 600
Black Heart BH15h
Gibson Les Paul gold top (Knock off)
Try them out.
I didn't like the Gibson neck at all, the Epis felt better to me.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
I have tried a few epi prophecy guitars and they are hit or miss... If you like the sound of EMG's try out a few of these until you find a good one...as I still think they are better than low end gibsons. I know some of you will bitch about epis not being as good as gibsons. but epi's top end are pretty nice if you find a good one....I have tried some lower end gibbys that were crap... As with all guitars some are just better than others. This goes for all brands.
Quote by kharmael

I am indeed in the UK, so I feel bound to ask why I shouldn't bother getting a Gibson in the UK? Are they not all made in the same place?

Cheers

For £1k you pay for a Studio, I could get you something better suited.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I really think it's worth mentioning that isn't really 'top-end Epiphone'. When you talk about the range of Epiphones, things like the Prophecy series are really in the middle. They're a very nice part of the middle, of course, but they're still the middle. The real 'top-end' Epiphones are the Elitist and Elite series.

That said, you're comparing two fairly different guitars. There are enough significant specification differences between the Epi Prophecy models and the Gibson Studios that this isn't a simple case of one being objectively higher quality or better value than the other. I mean, the simple fact that one has active picups and the othe rhas passives is already a considerable difference; add in the difference in frets, fretboard material, neck contour, nut material, finish type and woods used and you start to see that they're not as simple to compare as they first seem.

Considering how many different Les Pauls there are out there - be they Epiphone, Gibson or a copy brand - I'd suggest you think long and hard about the music you play and the spec you want, then make your purchase based on that. A guitar that suits you is always better than one that is of arguably higher quality but that is a less appropriate model.

Quote by kharmael

Cheers
Gibsons are just a little dear here compared to hat many other countries pay for them, plus because distribution isn't so good you often have less to choose from. Gibsons can vary a lot (especially the feel of the neck), so it's not smart to buy online; the bad distribution means it's often hard to find lots in stores to pick from, though.

I maintain that if you are lucky enough to find the right Gibson for you, it'll be the most unbelievably perfect guitar you'll ever touch it will be worth any price tag and nothing will ever be able to replace it; Gibsons have a certain magic to them, when you find the right one. Problem is, you could play 100 Gibsons and not find that one, perfect guitar.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Feb 20, 2012,
if your going to play metal or anything like that go for the epiphone. Just because gibson isn't written in the headstock doesn't mean theres anything wrong with it...i love my epiphone les paul custom zakk wylde...and personally i think a high end epi is better than a low end gibson depending on what style your playing.
I have a Prophecy

Get the Gibson.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by kharmael
The Prophecy Epi is going for circa £500 and the faded/ studio Gibbo is going for £650/700

Considering my original G400 cost around £300 then it's quite a step up whichever way I go!

Oh that's a faded faded studio. My bad

Either way, for £700ish. There are better guitar, MIA or not, out there.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by kharmael

Cheers

oh yeah, sure

it's more to do with how much they cost here and how much other guitars go for
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It has already been said but it's the best advice in this case, go get your hands on both of those guitars instead of looking at them and try them so you can actually decide which one is better by your ear and feel instead of a price-tag and what a headstock says there
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Between those exact two I say the gibson. I'm not really a fan of either of those two though. I think if you're going to flip a coin between bottom end gibson and upper end epiphone there are better epiphone's to consider. Never mind that there are a handful of other single cut's that are in my opinion better than either.
Quote by MortifiedLizard
recently I turned it into an Esquire that impregnates unsuspecting people with my children whenever I play it.

Quote by Duv
The only good thing about my MG30 was I was able to have it in my room for 5 years solely as a place to hide cigarettes and condoms.
I agree with what some of the others have said. Apples and oranges. The prophecy is designed with a specific genre of guitar playing in mind. The Gibson is your traditional Les Paul design minus the frills. Also the Gibson is chambered and will probably much more comfortable to sling over your shoulder. I would go with the Gibson hands down but that's easy for me to say since I have no interest in a heavy metal style shredders guitar.
I thinking you'll be disappointed in either guitars bridge pup compared to your G-400. That icepick-like chiming sustain coming off that mahogony slab just isn't the same on an LP (IMO), not to mention the vastly different neck profile compared to your SG. Any LP neck will be narrower with closer string spacing, technically easier to play, but VERY different from what you are used to. Borrow one from a bud for a week or two if you can, or hang out at some stores and play a few over a couple weeks, I predict you'll end up with another SG if you do.
There is a guy near me (Ireland) selling tokai now from a little store. They are better than the vast majority of Gibsons I played before settling on one.

Here's the link - http://www.guitarshopeurope.com//index.html
I played both the LS48's he has in stock and they are crackers, full solid bodies (not chambered like my Gibson standard LE) he gigs with one of them the whole time too and leave his gibsons and home.

Unbeatable value for money even with shipping to the UK
07 Gibson Les Paul LE
06 Fender Mex Strat - SDJb Jr, duckbucker, lil 59
Floor
Cry Baby 95Q-> Digitech Whammy -> DD3 -> MXR Micro Amp-> TU 2
Loop
Holy Grail ->Boss Rc20 Loop Station
Amp
Laney GH50 with Zilla Fatboy 2x12 (celestion g12-65)
The thing is - one Gibson Faded SG was the worst guitar I've played (not only setup, it had a badly sanded neck and a small gap between neck and freboard) - and another was super-nice. Guitars vary.

Go out and play them! I would also recommend you to consider Tokai, which is a brand that offers very good guitars in pretty much every price range. There's not only Gibson or Epiphone out there, and since you live in the UK, you have a few shops selling Tokais.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Hey guys, I've played an Epiphone G400 for many years and love the SG shape and Gibson feel. Unfortunately it fell from a height onto it's head and the neck cracked quite badly. I had it repaired and re-glued a year and a half ago and it's held out quite well, but I'm thinking that a new guitar may be in order. / Now I'm a bit better off that I was before and was looking at getting something along these lines. However for not that much more I can get something like THIS! Aesthetics aside can the basic Gibbo really be that much better than the top end Epi? Cheers!

If you love the look and feel of the SG, why are you looking at getting a Les Paul?
They feel totally different.
Quote by MrFlibble
The real 'top-end' Epiphones are the Elitist and Elite series

The Elitist series has been discontinued for almost 5 years. At least among Les Paul styles, the Ultras are the top of the line now, although it's a bit silly to call anything Epi makes "top of the line" because their whole purpose is to make lower cost Gibsons.
Quote by Roc8995
The Elitist series has been discontinued for almost 5 years. At least among Les Paul styles, the Ultras are the top of the line now, although it's a bit silly to call anything Epi makes "top of the line" because their whole purpose is to make lower cost Gibsons.

yep, i tend to think of gibsons and epiphones as being part of the same line of products, it prevents confusion at least.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
If you want a good Epiphone you'll need to try out lots to find one. Like was said There are no High end Epiphones only more expensive epiphones.

Yes you can certainly find good Epis, I have a G-400 that I think is a great guitar.

You need to go try the guitars out that you are looking at because thay can vary greatly from one to another.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Out of those 2 I'd get the Gibson.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
well, speaking from experience, the epiphones, most of the models you will have to invest a decent amount of money to make them halfway decent to play. In my Epi LP Custom, i replaced all electronics, pots, pickups, toggle switch and I still dont like it near my Gibson LP standard. The wood IS different in a epi and gibby. Dont fool yourself.
NOw, with that being said, you will spend about the same amount getting your Epi up to par as a Gibson Studio, so just play the instrument you are looking to buy to make sure you like it
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Last edited by madh4ttr at Feb 21, 2012,
gibby, 4 sure
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED