Alright, so I hav major GAS for a tube amp head.

Budget: est. $400

Genre/Sound: I need a really dark sounding amp. Not like muddy and brutal "dark", but like Vox Night Train/SG/Thick channel dark. Favorite guitarists are Jerry Cantrell, Brian May, Jimmy Page, Malcom Young, and a litttle Izzy Stradlin. I don't copy them and want their exact tone, but I use want a dark distorted/pverdriven tone.

New/Used: Either way works, it just needs to work really well.

Home/Gig: Both. A 15w tube amp might work, like the Vox Night Train 15w but that is a little pricey at the moment and I wonder if there is anything else with a bigger bang for my buck.

Closest City: South Bay area, California. (Guitar Center/Sam Ash in West Hollywood is preferred)

Current Gear: See sig for the Telecaster and cabinet I use. Cabinet is B-52 AT-412 which is 480W, mono and stereo compatible, 4/8/16 ohms (Each speaker is 120W/16 ohms).
I think the tweaker fits that description really well. It gets all of those sounds you were talking about, but I mainly use it for hair metal and hard rock (for those I have to use a TS as a boost though)

I think you could do well with the JCA22H or the tweaker for that price. Either way.
That sounds quite JCM800'ish so maybe a Peavey Windsor?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
That sounds quite JCM800'ish so maybe a Peavey Windsor?

Really a JCM800? The Vox I tried out seemed a lot like it. Peavy Windsor I definitely have to try before I buy. A night train would be perfect if it was 25w instead of 15w -__-

What about Blackhearts? Is there such thing as a 'reliable' and 'safe' Bugera?
Last edited by Myaccount876 at Feb 20, 2012,
Sounds more Marshally to me.

I haven't played a Blackheart so I won't comment.

Safe, reliable Bugera? Too soon to tell. Personally, I wouldn't risk it. Their track record so far is pretty bad.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
You can try and find an Egnater Rebel-30 used. They sound great. I have one myself
- Gibson SG 1961 Re-issue
- Fender Stratocaster
- Egnater Rebel-30
- Dunlop Crybaby Classic Wah Pedal
EDIT: ^+1

Quote by Myaccount876

Only time will show and that time has yet to elapse.

I stole it!
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
So then what about a Peavy Windsor? I don't mind it being one channel if it can do what it does very well and has a really thick dark punchy tone to it with great tube breakup.
Stick JJ's in the preamp and it will be plenty dark.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Myaccount876
Really a JCM800? The Vox I tried out seemed a lot like it. Peavy Windsor I definitely have to try before I buy. A night train would be perfect if it was 25w instead of 15w -__-

There is the 50w Night Train, which is a fantastic amp.

Blackhearts are essentially hot-rodded Marshall designs. They do a 100w head which as far as I know is based on the JCM800, so it wouldn't be a bad one to check out. They make some decent gear for the price though.

Bugera...heh.. I don't bandwagon, but my 333 combo shat itself after 3 days, and then again 2 months later.

The V22 and V55 are the amps that appear to have to longest lives out of all of them though. Not sure if they'd be what you'd want, they're very vintage sounding but they might do the trick.
Quote by Dan_5893
There is the 50w Night Train, which is a fantastic amp.

Blackhearts are essentially hot-rodded Marshall designs. They do a 100w head which as far as I know is based on the JCM800, so it wouldn't be a bad one to check out. They make some decent gear for the price though.

Bugera...heh.. I don't bandwagon, but my 333 combo shat itself after 3 days, and then again 2 months later.

The V22 and V55 are the amps that appear to have to longest lives out of all of them though. Not sure if they'd be what you'd want, they're very vintage sounding but they might do the trick.

Thing about the 50w Night Train is it is double my budget and 50w would be a little too much. Oh well but I'm interested in the Peavy Windsor now, just hoping it do what I need it to. Any other suggestions now that I know to stay away from Bugera?
Quote by Myaccount876
So then what about a Peavy Windsor? I don't mind it being one channel if it can do what it does very well and has a really thick dark punchy tone to it with great tube breakup.

I'll vouch for the Windsor... I own one... It's a one trick pony, but it's a hell of a trick!!!...

Got mine for 300 bucks with the 4x12 cabinet... Craigs list is my friend...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Last edited by Papabear505 at Feb 20, 2012,
Already got a pretty damn good cab so how's the sound of the Windsor? Can it be pretty dark sounding like I want?
The Windsor is surprisingly versatile (to a certain extent, it is a one trick pony, but it can do variations on that trick) with an EQ in the loop.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X