Is it possible to get a good vocal track with an SM-57 running through a Yamaha Audiogram 5? It would seem that there aren't any condenser mics that are in a modest budget that would capture good vocals without getting too much hum.

Basically, with all the proper eq-ing, can I get a respectable decent sounding vocal track?
Any tips on eq-ing?

As for an acoustic, I'd imagine a Condensor Mic would be a requisite. Or am I wrong?
Can an SM-57 get a good recording that captures the dynamic range of an acoustic?

If not, what are some good condensor mics? Would I need to upgrade my DUI?

/recording is ****ing frustrating
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

i cant find any info on the 5, only the 6 and 3, but both look like they have phantom power. there are some solid condensor mics out there on a budget, you just have to know where to look. i dont mind the mxl 990/991 pair myself, though i know a lot of people dont like it. 2 mics for around $100 is solid, and they sound fine. for something a bit more quality, the at2020 is also in that same range.. there are actually quite a few mics in the sub $100 range, none that are fantastic, but all are usable.

now, is it possible to get a decent sound out of an sm57 and acoustic or vocals? sure. im assuming you already have the sm57, so you might want to just try using it. get a pop filter for vocals (it helps) and experiment with the mic a bit away from the acoustic and not pointed straight at the sound hole. just work with it a bit to see what you can do.
I meant to say Audiogram 6.

My DAW is Garageband. The SM-57 doesn't record near as loud as the built in mic in my computer. I'm not sure how much compression and gain and I should be adding to the input from the Audiogram. Any tips?

The MXL condensors are phantom powered. Assuming they don't use USB inputs, how would I power them?
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

well, channel 1 of your interface has phantom power, so you could get a condensor. theres a little button by the power indicator that when pushed in, will send 48V to your mic through the xlr cable. since you only have one channel of phantom power, i would not go with the pair of mxls. the at2020 would be a nice starting choice though.

as for gain and compression, start by ignoring compression. for the gain, turn up the preamps on your interface so you arent clipping and arent getting a lot of hiss. then you can turn it up in the DAW if you need more volume. dont worry too much about volume though, just make sure you can hear things clearly (minimal noise/hiss).
Quote by jof1029
well, channel 1 of your interface has phantom power, so you could get a condensor. theres a little button by the power indicator that when pushed in, will send 48V to your mic through the xlr cable. since you only have one channel of phantom power, i would not go with the pair of mxls. the at2020 would be a nice starting choice though.

as for gain and compression, start by ignoring compression. for the gain, turn up the preamps on your interface so you arent clipping and arent getting a lot of hiss. then you can turn it up in the DAW if you need more volume. dont worry too much about volume though, just make sure you can hear things clearly (minimal noise/hiss).

Should I keep the compression at 12 o'clock or turn it off?

And there's a gain and a level for each channel. What would be the functioning difference between the two?
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild