Im interested in getting a fender mustang and have been periodically checking out ebay. I see a lot that look legit but my question regards the ones with the competition stripe. I know the Kurt Cobain models have it but they also have a humbucker in the bridge postion. The thing that im curious about are the mustangs with the competition stripe and the dark blue color that are not Kurt Cobain models, and just have two single coils. Do these even exist or are they some counterfeit thing? I know they did in the past but most of them on ebay say 1990s Japanese and i know mustangs are really popular in japan so were these just released in Japan and thats why im not used to seeing them?
Cobain had his techs install the 'bucker.

All non-Cobain sig models come with single coils, except the current Pawn Shop™ Fender® Mustang® Special.

So, no, those aren't fakes--or at least that would not indicate they were fakes--that's how they came from the factory.

If it has the comp stripe, but not the body contours, then that might be an indication something's amiss.

Here's a useful site to learn more about these cool guitars:
http://fendermustangstory.com/default.htm

Also, I got a '65 Reissue. So feel free to PM me with any questions.
Last edited by jetwash69 at Feb 20, 2012,
Mustangs were designed with 2 single coils only as that one in the 90's and Kurt had he's mustang modified to fit a humbucker, since he used a humbucker he's model of mustang is going to have a humbucker in it, get the serial number from the seller and try to match it up with Fender to see if it's a real mustang and even better yet if the seller is close to you then go test it out. Check that nothing is amiss in it and you can also look at the website jetwash69 posted to have clear about what to look after on it.
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Quote by BufSabres26
The thing that im curious about are the mustangs with the competition stripe and the dark blue color that are not Kurt Cobain models, and just have two single coils. Do these even exist or are they some counterfeit thing?

OK, let's see if I understand what you're asking...

Yes, the the mustangs with the competition stripe and the dark blue color that are not Kurt Cobain models, and just have two single coils (like the one in the eBay link) do exist. No they are not just some counterfeit thing.

The link I posted covers these:

"The "Made-In-Japan Fender '69 Mustangs" are reissue of this era of Mustangs"

BTW, that one on eBay is pretty sweet looking. I'd be careful about buying any guitar off the internet that I couldn't return/exchange if I didn't like it, though. They did a good job showing the chip on the finish on the headstock, but that doens't necessarily mean it doesn't have other issues that they aren't highlighting.

Personally, I'd rather have the sig model, but I prefer humbuckers. I'll probably just leave my '65 re-issue stock, though. The main reason I bought it is because it was on clearance for 33% off street price. I haven't been playing it much lately because it was messing me up a bit; I was getting used to it's short scale, but I've been playing 25.5" guitars on stage. The Mustang won't fit in the trunk of our economy car that I've been taking to shows lately. And it barely fits in the trunk of my '99 Ford Mustang
@jetwash69, yeah ok that clears it up. i also prefer humbuckers and love my fat strat but even the used cobain models seem to be considerably more expensive since its pretty new. maybe ill try one of those small Duncan JBs that fit single coil holes. Im also not crazy about buying from ebay but ive been having trouble finding used ones locally. Hopefully in the future i can ill have the dough to afford a real '65. Thats awesome that you have one.
Quote by BufSabres26
@jetwash69, yeah ok that clears it up. i also prefer humbuckers and love my fat strat but even the used cobain models seem to be considerably more expensive since its pretty new. maybe ill try one of those small Duncan JBs that fit single coil holes. Im also not crazy about buying from ebay but ive been having trouble finding used ones locally. Hopefully in the future i can ill have the dough to afford a real '65. Thats awesome that you have one.

Well, mine's just a re-issue, not a real '65, but I still like it. Plus, it's a lot easier to play stuff that requires a longer reach, and the tight neck radius makes it easy to barre chord. My daughter was using it to write a song earlier tonight--much easier for her small hands.

I like the '69 re-issues better than the '65 models. The countour on the '69s is a nice feature; the '65s are just straight planks. Also, I think the stripes are cool--but it wouldn't feel right to add one to a '65 since they weren't available that way until later. Plus there's a little play in the plastic knobs on the tuners in the '65s; the '69s have all-metal tuning knobs--shouldn't be any play there.

I'd recommend holding off for a while after you get one before swapping pups, unless you're in a Nirvana tribute band or something. The single coils might grow on you. Plus, when both pups are on at the same time you get something of a humbucker feel. Having a hotter pup in the bridge than the neck might make you lose some of the tonal options that the 2 switches normally give you.

Another consideration before taking the Mustang plunge is that those 2 switches can get in the way. The first time I played it at a show, I was playing a song that used the stomp pedals on my MFX a lot and had a lot of palm muting. It was also the first time I had used my amp outdoors. Suddenly, right when I stomped on the pedal, the guitar cut out. At first I thought I had stepped on 2 pedals at the same time, activating the tuner, but no. Then I thought the amp might have overheated. After 2 minutes of trouble shooting, I felt like an idiot when I realized that both switches were off. The rest of the show was uneventful. I've flipped one or the other off at other shows since, but fix it between songs.

One more consideration is these new 'Stangs are faithful to the originals in that the truss rod access is at the bottom of the neck instead of in the headstock. So if you ever have to adjust it, then you have to remove the pick guard first. That's also the same on many other copies of older models, and of course, also on the actual vintage instruments, including Strats.

An interesting thing about that Cobain sig model is that it has a Tune-o-matic bridge instead of the Mustang bridge. Kurt hated the Mustang trems and bridges. He had the bridge swapped out, had the trem blocked, and allegedly had the tail bar flipped so the strings came out the front instead of coming out the back and wrapping underneath. Looks like the sigs still have the trems functional and don't flip the tail bar.

Another minor bitch about the 'Stang is the trem bar is held in place by pressure from an allen screw in the tail bar. That doesn't work too well, even after you wear a groove into it. It's a hassle bringing an allen wrench around to install and remove the whammy bar.

Beware too that if you want a hard case for it, you don't have a lot of options. Fender's Mustang/Duo-Sonic case is the only one I could find that came close. And that set me back $180. Despite it's short scale, the body is tall, so the headstock sticks out an inch or 2 beyond that of a Strat. Also the upper horn is bigger, so that keeps it from fitting in most (if not all) "universal" cases. Maybe it would fit in a bass case. Maybe not.

Good luck if you go eBay. Be sure to pay for shipping insurance. Take care.
Competition Stangs came out in 1969. They came in 3 colors: Red, Blue, and Orange. Orange ones are hard to come by. They had matching headstocks until mid-1971 I believe. After that, the headstock was left plain. The switches allow for you to switch phases on the pups at either end and off in the middle. As for a humbucker feel when switched so phases cancel... Not even close to a humbucker. Original Mustang pups are not strong and have their own unique tone... say somewhere between a Strat and a Tele. The trem is not designed for dive bombing. It is better used for more subtle work. Over use will take you out of tune.

If you truly want a vintage one, be sure to play it first. The short scale may not be to your liking, neither may be the tone.

How do I know? This is my 1969

Happy Hunting!
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
Last edited by Auriemma at Feb 21, 2012,
Check that nothing is amiss in it and you can also look at the website jetwash69 posted to have clear about what to look after on it. (Invalid img)
Quote by Auriemma
...The switches allow for you to switch phases on the pups at either end and off in the middle. As for a humbucker feel when switched so phases cancel... Not even close to a humbucker.

Sweet 'Stang, Auriemma!

The "humbucker feel" I was talking about is kinda like the position 2 or 4 in an SSS Strat, only a little more pronounced (in my opinion). Definitely kills 60 cycle hum like 2 & 4 do. And a little more aggressive. But no, it won't sound like a JB or most other real humbuckers.

Quote by Auriemma
...The trem is not designed for dive bombing. It is better used for more subtle work. Over use will take you out of tune.

That's for sure!!! Any use on mine puts it out of tune, even though I use graphite lube in the nut slots, in the string tee, and over the barrels in the bridge.

Quote by Auriemma
...They had matching headstocks until mid-1971 I believe. After that, the headstock was left plain...

I wonder how consistent they were about that...I haven't seen a matching headstock prior to '69, and I've seen some plain ones that were allegedly between '69 and '71. Also the '69 re-issue and the Cobain sigs all had plain headstocks. Yeah, Kurt had a few 'Stangs with matching headstocks, but also a bunch with plain headstocks.
Last edited by jetwash69 at Feb 21, 2012,
Quote by jetwash69
Sweet 'Stang, Auriemma!
Thanks. I bought her back in the early 80's from a friend of mine for $200 including case. She is worth far more than that now.

Quote by jetwash69
That's for sure!!! Any use on mine puts it out of tune, even though I use graphite lube in the nut slots, in the string tee, and over the barrels in the bridge.
Part of the issue is how the bridge floats. You might try wrapping the bridge posts in tape or making bushings so there isn't as much play in the holes. That should help stabilize it. Me... I never used the trem bar. Oh, and do clean the switches now and then. Mine corroded a long time ago, so I replaced them with Fender switches.

Quote by jetwash69
I wonder how consistent they were about that...I haven't seen a matching headstock prior to '69, and I've seen some plain ones that were allegedly between '69 and '71
Only Competition Mustangs had the matching head stocks and racing stripes between 1969 to mid-1971. If it wasn't a CompStang, it would have a plain headstock, so would other vintage Comp made after the mid-1971 transition (re-issues not included).

Take a look at http:\\shortscale.org and http:\\jag-stang.com . Lots of good people and knowledge about Mustangs there.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
Quote by Auriemma
Thanks. I bought her back in the early 80's from a friend of mine for $200 including case. She is worth far more than that now.

Part of the issue is how the bridge floats. You might try wrapping the bridge posts in tape or making bushings so there isn't as much play in the holes. That should help stabilize it. Me... I never used the trem bar. Oh, and do clean the switches now and then. Mine corroded a long time ago, so I replaced them with Fender switches.

Only Competition Mustangs had the matching head stocks and racing stripes between 1969 to mid-1971. If it wasn't a CompStang, it would have a plain headstock, so would other vintage Comp made after the mid-1971 transition (re-issues not included).

Take a look at http:\\shortscale.org and http:\\jag-stang.com . Lots of good people and knowledge about Mustangs there.

Thanks!