Page 1 of 2
The media gives them less attention. The team owners pay them less. Women don't play popular sports. The western world is still a world dominated by the celebration of male achievements (more or less).

All of these are valid and legitimate points. But I am going to argue that there is one reason that trumps all of them: women athletes are less flashy and therefore less entertaining to watch. Women basketball players, softball players, soccer, lacross players get the job done just like male players do... They do things to win games.'But it's the way in which these performances are executed that attracts viewers and fans. Professional sports is nothing more than entertainment and if that experience is not a stimulating, fun, and sensational one, then less people will like it.

It seems to be the unfortunate truth.

Do you guys agree or disagree with this argument? If not then what do you think is the principal reason women athletics are given less attention?

edit: yes women's tennis is popular, mainly because of Venus and Serena Williams and the sex factor with other players. Plus men's tennis is just as popular, if not more.
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
It's because they're all cooperating, not taking risks and it's not as physical as when male play the sport. Who wants to watch that? It's like watching walking dead instead of 28 days later.

It can be sexier, though.

████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Last edited by Kensai at Feb 20, 2012,
Because men are better at things.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
I dunno Women's braless pogostick racing is rather glorious.
Some of it is pretty cool.

The problem is that it's not as impressive since the best female athlete for a certain sport will never be better than the top male athlete in general. That said, I'm looking forward to Rousey vs Tate (google it). That's serious skill right there that you don't see with most male athletes.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
To be fair, pretty much all sports are incredibly boring. You'd have a better argument if we were talking about why women suck at comedy.

Car racing for instance is the only sport with the chance of it not being boring and that's if there's a huge crash. Watch the beginning of an F1 race and if there isn't a pile up when all the cars are starting off then it's not worth watching.
Frankly, other than volleyball, none of the aforementioned sports posted (except those TS mentioned) are serious sports. Quite frankly, I'd say one factor is the fact that most female versions of men sports (the WNBA, for example) just have not been around as long as the male versions. The NBA, to continue my theme, was founded in 1949. The WNBA wasn't founded until 1996. That's almost a 50 year head-start for the NBA. Also, most WNBA teams share an arena and city with an NBA team.

I can't say much about other sports, but that's what I was about to find out in less than 2 minutes about the WNBA vs. the NBA.
Quote by Kensai
It's because they're all cooperating, not taking risks and it's not as physical as when male play the sport. Who wants to watch that? It's like watching walking dead instead of 28 days later.

Trust me, I'm a Jedi.

Quote by Minkaro
You must control your use of the force, young Trizek.
Quote by Zoot Allures
To be fair, pretty much all sports are incredibly boring. You'd have a better argument if we were talking about why women suck at comedy.

Car racing for instance is the only sport with the chance of it not being boring and that's if there's a huge crash. Watch the beginning of an F1 race and if there isn't a pile up when all the cars are starting off then it's not worth watching.

Are you retarded?
Quote by travs2448

How many of you are vegan?
Hopefully none

Does anyone know any fun recipes?
Yeah a big juicy flank steak

What can be done with tofu?
Nothing it taste like crap

Is there such thing as vegan meat? Vegan sausages ect
WTF ARE YOU ON?
Well that's a recursive thread title if I've ever heard one.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
Because they are biologically inferior to men.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by Kensai

Can this thread now be about hot women doing sports?
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Quote by Zoot Allures

notsureifserious.jpg

On another note, women suck at everything, who would wanna watch subpar athletes? Even volleyball, men are 10x better and people only pay attention to the women because of the way they look.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Can this thread now be about hot women doing sports?

“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
I've enjoyed watching female soccer, volleyball, and tennis. Other than that I can't really get interested.
Quote by .Joker.
notsureifserious.jpg

On another note, women suck at everything, who would wanna watch subpar athletes? Even volleyball, men are 10x better and people only pay attention to the women because of the way they look.

I'm plenty serious, i can't think of anything more dull to watch on TV. The only things that would be worse would be things that are actually annoying to watch, at least sports are so bland they don't really piss me off.
Quote by Zoot Allures
I'm plenty serious, i can't think of anything more dull to watch on TV. The only things that would be worse would be things that are actually annoying to watch, at least sports are so bland they don't really piss me off.

...well, thats your opinion. I love watching certain sports on TV. Mostly just basketball, baseball and hockey.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Girls basketball is seriously the worst thing to watch.

Quote by Zoot Allures

Well that's like your opinion bro.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by WCPhils
Girls basketball is seriously the worst thing to watch.

Aren't they all lesbians anyways? Oh wait that's just my school girls basketball team.
Trust me, I'm a Jedi.

Quote by Minkaro
You must control your use of the force, young Trizek.
Quote by Zoot Allures

Never thought I'd say this but I agree with Zoot. Women's sports suck because they are sports, not because women are playing them. And I do watch auto racing, but I watch NASCAR because my cousin is a driver. And a little side note, auto racing is coed. Granted, there's only 1 female driver in NASCAR but the point is it's officially open to all genders.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by rgrockr
Never thought I'd say this but I agree with Zoot. Women's sports suck because they are sports, not because women are playing them. And I do watch auto racing, but I watch NASCAR because my cousin is a driver. And a little side note, auto racing is coed. Granted, there's only 1 female driver in NASCAR but the point is it's officially open to all genders.

No, they suck because women are playing them. I like watching the NBA, but the WNBA is awful. It isn't even the same level of competition at all. The game is completely different.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Men play sports to get laid, just like everything else they do

Women play sports because they wanna.

So of course, men are going to be much more flashy for the chicks.
Quote by xSheogorathx
Men play sports to get laid, just like everything else they do

Women play sports because they wanna.

So of course, men are going to be much more flashy for the chicks.

I'm sure that's it Very good
Quote by Overlord
Quote by Zoot Allures
You're wrong on both counts.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
As an Australian, I thought watching the womens soccer team in the world cup was 100000000 times more exciting than watching our men. They both failed to have a huge impact in either tournament, but the women were much more attacking I thought, they didn't just fart around passing in midfield for ages, they got the ball and did something with it. Sure, the guys could've executed some of the things better but the mens team (for Australia anyways) never really has much flair about it. Maybe it's just because we suck at soccer.
"People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis; you can't trust people."
When a girl can throw down like Blake Griffin I will start to maybe care.
I smoke like Rasta, got hair like pasta
I be sippin' on them shots then bustin' rhymes like Busta

Load up the bong, crank up the song, let the informa call 911
Quote by Dory77
As an Australian, I thought watching the womens soccer team in the world cup was 100000000 times more exciting than watching our men. They both failed to have a huge impact in either tournament, but the women were much more attacking I thought, they didn't just fart around passing in midfield for ages, they got the ball and did something with it. Sure, the guys could've executed some of the things better but the mens team (for Australia anyways) never really has much flair about it. Maybe it's just because we suck at soccer.

I found the Women's World Cup Final much more exciting than the men's, honestly. More passion, seeing Japan pull off a miracle - it was just a great sports moment. I also enjoy watching women tennis players. But that's about it.

But for the most part, I agree with TS. Not that women athletes don't have skill, etc, it's just not as entertaining to watch a college womens' team play on the same level as a guys' intramural team.
Quote by Zoot Allures

I can never understand people who don't like sports, so I can't take this seriously. And if anything, car racing has to be the most boring of any sport to watch.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Quite frankly, I'd say one factor is the fact that most female versions of men sports (the WNBA, for example) just have not been around as long as the male versions. The NBA, to continue my theme, was founded in 1949. The WNBA wasn't founded until 1996. That's almost a 50 year head-start for the NBA. Also, most WNBA teams share an arena and city with an NBA team.

I think this would be the most decisive factor. Sure they aren't as high standard, but womens sports aren't as established. They're sort of a novelty at the moment, aside form stuff like tennis, where women have been able to participate for many years. Over time the standard of female sports will improve and so will the amount of recognition they receive.
"People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis; you can't trust people."
Quote by Dory77
I think this would be the most decisive factor. Sure they aren't as high standard, but womens sports aren't as established. They're sort of a novelty at the moment, aside form stuff like tennis, where women have been able to participate for many years. Over time the standard of female sports will improve and so will the amount of recognition they receive.

Do you think women's versions of men's sports will actually achieve the same popularity simply with more time though? How realistic is that argument?
Quote by Overlord
Page 1 of 2