Okay, so I'm getting ready to build my first pedal board - that has actually turned into a fairly large project at this point as it has turned into a contaption with multiple moving parts at this point. Need some advice. My build will look like a wooden box 24"x14"x8".

I've been trying to find the lightest build that still encompasses all the features I want/need. I was initially planning on using 1/2 inch pine, but someone told me that using 1/4 inch oak would be just as strong, thinner and a little lighter, so does anybody have any experience with this?

Also, my contraption at this point is more like a box with a removeable lid, hinged compartment for power supply, raised 2nd tier...really a little complex for a first build, but oh well now my mind is made up. My question is this - would stained wood with a clear lacquer or a vinyl upholstery look better/hold up better with use, etc.

Really, any input or advice for a first time builder would be great.
I built mine out of 1/4 inch plywood and 3/4 inch pine .Stained then 2 coats of water based poly.Still quite heavy for its size.
Attachments:
Droid 002.jpg
Luna Andromeda dragon bass
Schecter Omen Extreme
Fender strat
Fender Labrea electic/acoustic
Peavey tour 450
Peavey tour 410/115
Galien-kruger Backline 600
Black Heart BH15h
Gibson Les Paul gold top (Knock off)
Vinyl tears easily. Clear laquers can chip.

Some other options are:

A. Pickup truck bed liner paint
B. Black (or other colored) ABS laminate like they use on ATA cases: http://www.reliablehardware.com/diyroadcasevideos.aspx (see video 4)

Sounds like with the complexity you got going there, you ought to try the 1/4" oak. Think you'll need the space and it will be lighter. Maybe use the 1/4" for the top and bottom, mount the pedals on planks, and use the 1/2" stuff for the sides.

Just some thoughts. Sounds like a fun project. How are you going to get straight cuts; do you have a access to a table saw?

The vids on roadcases at that link may be helpful for all sorts of aspects since this is your first project.
Quote by jetwash69
Vinyl tears easily. Clear laquers can chip.

Some other options are:

A. Pickup truck bed liner paint
B. Black (or other colored) ABS laminate like they use on ATA cases: http://www.reliablehardware.com/diyroadcasevideos.aspx (see video 4)

Sounds like with the complexity you got going there, you ought to try the 1/4" oak. Think you'll need the space and it will be lighter. Maybe use the 1/4" for the top and bottom, mount the pedals on planks, and use the 1/2" stuff for the sides.

Just some thoughts. Sounds like a fun project. How are you going to get straight cuts; do you have a access to a table saw?

The vids on roadcases at that link may be helpful for all sorts of aspects since this is your first project.

Well, luckily I have access to an entire woodshop/machine shop, so that isn't the problem. I have limited time which is going to cause me some problems, but working on how to make the most of my available time and get this done. The type of vinyl I'm talking about using is the same type on a lot of amplifiers, so it seems like it would be tough enough. Also using steel corner caps to toughen up the whole box.

Thanks for the video on the roadcases.
Quote by katalyzt13
Well, luckily I have access to an entire woodshop/machine shop, so that isn't the problem. I have limited time which is going to cause me some problems, but working on how to make the most of my available time and get this done. The type of vinyl I'm talking about using is the same type on a lot of amplifiers, so it seems like it would be tough enough. Also using steel corner caps to toughen up the whole box.

Thanks for the video on the roadcases.

Judging by the amount of tears that were already in my Marshall cab when I bought it used, and the couple of tears I put in my Marshall head (which was used, too, but immaculate), tolex might not be tough enough. Plus I baby that gear. I built a cabinet kind of like a road case that's strapped into my trailer--it has eggshell foam. Yet the head still got some tears. The cab already had so many tears I can't tell if any are new.

But hey, the beat-up look can be kinda cool, too.

Good luck and post pics when you're done. I'm gonna subscribe to this thread.

BTW, I like bolting components down with 1/2" wide aluminum bar stock. I cut off long enough strips to have a hole to put the component's screw through on one side, and to have the other side stick out enough to have a bolt going to the board. I like anchoring those with T-nuts. Or Chicago screws/anchors instead of bolts and T-nuts when fastening to the back cover of a case. I also take rubber grommets or O-rings and mount them around the screw/bolt and between the floor and the aluminum bar for shock protection. Seems to help the gear last longer.