Hello,

So I'm looking for an electric guitar and amp... and since I'm pretty new to playing I thought I'd try and get some suggestions before I run out and waste some money.

I just started playing a few weeks ago, and I've been using this acoustic squier guitar that my friend gave me to start on. However most of the songs I'd like to play are more in the hard rock / metal category and would sound much better on electric - just wanted to make sure I could get into playing before I dumped money into it. The amp would just be a smaller amp used to play in my house, not sure as far as ideal size/output but maybe you guys can help. Here's my info:

Budget? - Guitar: A few hundred bucks, maybe $400 tops.
Amp: $200 maximum

Favorite Artists? - Chevelle, Red, Hurt, Tool

Preferences? - Just a basic six string would do. Maybe a stratocaster or something along those lines? I'm up to try anything.

Pickups? - Not sure what I should be putting here but something basic since I'm just starting out.

New or Used? - New or used in good condition would be okay.

Location? - Omaha, NE 68127

Current Gear? - Acoustic Squier guitar from my friend - Not going to influence my preference on an electric guitar.
For the amp I'd go with a Fender Vibro Champ XD. 5 watts of tube goodness, plus added modeling circuits.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by Wisthekiller
Epiphone Les Paul Standard with a Peavey Vypyr.

I would agree with Wisthekiller for the most part - if you go with an Epiphone, don't go any cheaper than the Les Paul Standard, though, because their lower end instruments seem to have a significant drop in quality. Besides the Peavey Vypyr as an amp, also consider the Roland Cube and the Vox Valvetronix. Best bet starting out is a good modeling amp so you learn what you want from your sound, then down the road you can buy something more specific. Avoid the Line 6 Spider Amps. If you want to go cheaper than the Les Paul Standard by Epiphone, I think that Squier makes an HSS or HH config Bullet. From the music you prefer make sure you get something that at least has a humbucker in the bridge. Good luck!
is that your postal/zip code? i'd remove that if i were you... when we say "location" we just mean the state/country you're in, maybe the nearest big city
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
is that your postal/zip code? i'd remove that if i were you... when we say "location" we just mean the state/country you're in, maybe the nearest big city

It's all good, that actually is the nearest big city's postal code

Thank you all for the quick feedback. That was lightyears faster than anywhere else I asked around. I'm going to take a look at a few of those and maybe check them out in store to see what fits
I'm going to look on craigsist for you.

Why?

Because I'm sick and bored.
within you lay everything
every key
every secret

untouched and in plain sight
within you lay everything
every key
every secret

untouched and in plain sight
Last edited by staticoverdub at Feb 20, 2012,
Quote by staticoverdub

Thanks for the suggestions. I do like a couple of those, might give the sellers a call. Also going to use the models you guys put up and compare around a couple other shops around Omaha. I really appreciate the suggestions.
Quote by Tristan578
It's all good, that actually is the nearest big city's postal code

ah ok
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I would grab that LTD/Vox deal thats on your local craigslist. its a solid guitar and a very decent amp (one of the better modeling amps around), and you will not do better price-wise buying new.
You have 6 bills to mess with. I'd say pick up an Ibanez they are a good starter guitar for metal and it's mahogany not (bassword). For the amp I'd say pick up this 2x12 Peavey 100watt and you would not need to get a new amp for a while. You'll have more than enough power for what you want to do. However, it cost $100.00 over your limit. If you are willing to spend the extra 100 I'd do this deal. shop around on www.musiciansfriend.com you'll find some stuff and it'll be NEW!!!
My Gear :
Gibson Gothic Explorer
Epiphone Les Paul Zakk Wlyde (Korean)
ESP LTD EC-1000vb
Jackson RR24m
Kramer Focus HSS
Alvarez Acoustic
91-95 Peavey 5150 2x12
Marshall MG 250 DFX 2x12
VOX ToneLab ST Muti Effects
Last edited by ESP Eclipse at Feb 22, 2012,
Just wanted to update this, thank you all for your feedback!

I ended up going with that Deryck Whibley Squier. Two days later I won one of UG's contests and just got an ESP LTD KH-202 in the mail a couple of days ago. (Thank you UG!) - I have not put down a guitar since. I've been practicing 2-4 hours a day nearly every day for the past 2 weeks

As for the amp, my friend let me borrow a smaller amp of his, and when I won that ESP I went straight to the guitar shop and ended up picking up a Fender Mustang for pretty cheap. It's small but definitely loud enough for my room for the time being. Also the effects and software that came with it are really fun to mess around with to get different sounds out of. I will upgrade to something bigger in the near future, so expect me back here. Again, thanks everyone for your feedback/suggestions, I couldn't be happier with what I've got right now.
I just got the Mustang 1 amp, the software thing is very cool. I find some of the effects to be lame. It is good for the price though.

Congtats on the contest lucky!
Quote by Killsocket
I just got the Mustang 1 amp, the software thing is very cool. I find some of the effects to be lame. It is good for the price though.

Congtats on the contest lucky!

Yeah I'm not a fan of all of them. I do love the software that came with it though and I love playing around with that. Thanks