I have an '07 Gibson LP Standard and it's my #1. I can get some really nice tones out of it with the Burstbuckers, no doubt, but lately I've been wondering if I might come closer to my ideal tone if I swapped them out for a JB/'59 set. I already have the Duncans in my LTD MH-50NT, and I'm considering buying an ESP HRF later on in the year anyway, so the LTD won't serve me much purpose. Anyway, what're your thoughts on it? I've played LTD EC-1000s with the JB/'59 combo in them before and I was blown away, so I can only imagine what they would sound like in the Gibson.

And I should probably clarify that I want to be able to retain the types of creamy, rich cleans that I already get, but I want to be able to get more of a Santana/Tak Matsumoto/Slash type of crunch along with a bit clearer of a high-gain metal sound than what I get now.
doooo ittt.

this past summer i actually dropped JB-4 and a '59 into my LP Custom and it sounds better than ever. i was aiming for really creamy tone for my cleans and wanted some more 'breathing room' in my metal playing. honestly you cant go wrong with this combination.

the 59 and the JB both come with connections that allow you to coil tap each humbucker. i threw in the extra $25 for the push-pull pots simply for the fact that I would have more tone options

do it dude. do it.
You'll never know until you try it.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
do it, i did my friends LP and i saw him play after i opened for him... his guitar sounds amazing, he plays throught a little twin reverb and its real nasty for heavy rock.
Ibanez sz720fm,Ibbly RG350DX, Custom Tele-> Dunlop 535Q->RAT Pro co II-> Ibanez Fuzz->Marshall Haze 40.
Tascam US-800 and a hand full of Mics into Nedundo 4

my music, new recording on the way in 2014

[B]insert witty italicized quote here
Quote by jwax
do it, i did my friends LP and i saw him play after i opened for him... his guitar sounds amazing, he plays throught a little twin reverb and its real nasty for heavy rock.
I can almost guarantee you that whatever pedals that he runs in front of the twin reverb has way more to do with the "nasty, heavy rock" sound than those pickups.

I personally do not think the JB sounds that great in les pauls. Too shrill, lows are too muddy.

Just my $0.02. But since you already have a set in another guitar, you could always pull those out and stick them in the les paul to test it out before jumping on buying another set.
Quote by al112987
Just my $0.02. But since you already have a set in another guitar, you could always pull those out and stick them in the les paul to test it out before jumping on buying another set.

That's what I'm saying - I'll take them out of the LTD and put them in the Les Paul. There's no way I'd shell out $150 for another set that I may or may not get use out of.
I mean, it doesn't hurt to try, just do it, it's a 20 minute job.

The JB is far from what I would call rich or creamy though.
Quote by ARom22

And I should probably clarify that I want to be able to retain the types of creamy, rich cleans that I already get, but I want to be able to get more of a Santana/Tak Matsumoto/Slash type of crunch along with a bit clearer of a high-gain metal sound than what I get now.
Then stick withe the BurstBuckers, because they're already pretty bang-on what those three use.

What you're hearing with those guys is low output, PAF-style humbuckers with a powerful amp maxed out. Their tone is all in their amps. The BurstBuckers and other PAF-copies are the best pickups to use for that kind of tone other than active pickups; both styles of pickup give you a wider response range and less intense tone peaks than hotter passive pickups.

If you're in any doubt about the BurstBuckers ability to do metal, just know that Metallica have been using stock Gibson Custom Shop LPs, with the stock BurstBucker pickups, on their last three albums, and for the occasional show here and there. You can't really get much more metal than that.

Even if you are hell-bent on changing the BBs for somethign ele, the JB and 59 won't do what you want. The 59 is more or less the same as the BBs, just potted and with an A5 magnet which gives a little more treble; it may be preferable for metal, but you can forget about getting ''creamy'' overriven tones. The JB is a similar deal with but a huge upper-mid spike. The last thing the JB is is ''creamy'' and ''rich''. Try ''harsh'' and ''brittle'' instead.
More suitable replacements would be a Bare Knuckle Abraxas set, or a Jazz and Custom 5 combo, or even a Custom Custom if you simply want more raw output in the bridge (though again, this would actually be detrimental to the tone you're trying to achieve).
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
it's worth the try since you already have them.

and it would be interesting to hear what you thought of them.

i'm not a fan of that set much myself. (the jb/59 set)

the bb1 and bb2 pups i like, the rest of the burstbuckers don't do much for me.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Feb 21, 2012,
Quote by al112987
I can almost guarantee you that whatever pedals that he runs in front of the twin reverb has way more to do with the "nasty, heavy rock" sound than those pickups.

I personally do not think the JB sounds that great in les pauls. Too shrill, lows are too muddy.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
IMHO when turned max volume and tone... and distortion... the JB will be better but if you want to roll back on the volume, the stock will be better
???
dont do it, I personally like the burstbuckers better and you too may have to find out the hard way like i did
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
personally, i would never change out gibby pickups. they just are voiced so perfectly for the guitars

ok not all gibsons, but les pauls
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
I wouldn't. having played extensively with a JB/59 set through a fairly similar amp to yours, I'm pretty sure you wont get what you want.

really, a good quality, smooth overdrive pedal (and maybe some compression) will help more. your amp isn't really suited to smoother overdrive tones (marshalls usually aren't, thats why I sold mine), but rather for cruchier, less compressed tones, so its going to need some help getting smoothed out a little bit