OK, I have a Tiny Terror at the moment and, for a practice amp and recording ideas, it's great, but I want something more powerful with other features and most importantly, clean headroom.

Instead of writing an essay, I'll bullet point.

Things I definitely want:
-at least 50w (probably preferably more)
-master volume to get a 'dirty clean' sound without breaking my ears
-able to take distortion and OD REALLY well
-8ohm support
-Available in Australia or able to realistically import

Things I would like to have but aren't deal breakers:
-all valve (if a ss amp does what I want, I'm up for it, but I doubt one will.)
-effects loop
-British tone
-4 ohm support
-true clean sound at gigging volumes (assuming no PA support)
-built in attenuator (would be a bonus but I don't care at all if it doesn't)
-built in distortion for a 70s/80s hard rock sound (again, as long as it takes pedals well this isn't necessary)

Things I don't need/don't matter:
-modern metal
-more than one channel

It's going to be used for crushingly heavy stoner doom (think Electric Wizard, Acid Witch, Attention Deficit Domination) but bluesy solos will be required.

I've got Tube Zone OD and a russian muff than I plan to use to get my actual drive.

I've been considering a few Laneys and the Thunderverb 200 is great, but I'm not sure how good it would be for me.

I'll put a tentative budget at $3000AU but less than that is very welcome. 2000 would be ideal.

Am I missing anything?

thanks guys
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Last edited by gilly_90 at Feb 20, 2012,
The Thunderverb or Laney AOR would be absolutely perfect for you. You might want to see if you could get a Matamp.

Or maybe PM Cathbard and have him build an amp for you, he lives in Australia.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Hiwatt Custom 50 DR-504 or maybe a Fender Twin Reverb.

+1 on the Cathbard idea, hes really nice, and I've heard good things about his amps.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
+1 Twin Reverb.
Quote by Powerhouse
I was in a nu-metal band when I was 15. I hated the top 3 strings (G,B, and E). I wondered why guitars even had them.
OK

Can't say I like the Twin Reverb at all, I'm being picky but I don't like it

That Hiwatt sounds really good (sound at features) but I can't find it less than about $2900, is it the best option for the top of my budget? I could probably get the Thunderverb 200 for that, would that be better? I've played the Thunderverb a bit but never tested how loud it can stay clean or with pedals.

The Laney AOR doesn't seem to be very available, is it still in production?

If I was going for hard to find discontinued amps, I'd be looking for a Sunn model T

I've also looked at Matamp, but price is a big issue as well as shipping and import charges.

EDIT: I was actually on Cathbard's website yesterday, I kind of assumed he made what he felt like and people bought them rather than being up for customs.
I should probably have the money before I start asking manufacturers though
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Last edited by gilly_90 at Feb 20, 2012,