I need an all around amp that can get good cleans and gets good distortion. Some of the bands i listen too are AIC, Soundgarden, Alterbridge, RHCP, Staind and many more. the only thing is i only have 800usd to spend. should i save money or is there a versitale enough amp around that price range? I don't have any pedals but i plan on getting a wah pedal and a distortion pedal. I don't know anything about this stuff so any help would be appreciated with amps and pedals. The biggest city near me would have to be Wichita so im most likely going to buy it online. My current guitar is a epiphone SG and i just have a little 10 watt amp that came with the guitar i got before my SG. It will be used for at home and gigging.
Last edited by AlteredMaggot18 at Feb 20, 2012,
Do you have any pedals?
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
no but i want some, i need a new amp because i just have a little 10w epiphone amp that came with my first guitar.
You'll find a lot better help here than the pit!

I'm a big fan of finding amps used, and with $800 you're pretty well off. How loud do you need it to be? Are you going to be gigging all the time or is this a practice/studio/occasional show kind of thing? I recommend you go to your nearest resale shop (like a music go round) and just try some things out. You never know what kind of awesome deal you might find.

But how big/loud you need is going to be important. Also, are you using pedals? Or do you plan on simply using the amp's distortion channel?
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
At home and gigging i was 75 is the lowest i should go. and possibly for recording i wont record anything for awhile. My friend had a Crate amp i used for gigs and it worked pretty well
^No, get that. A tablet will suit you well
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
No problem. Any of those would be all sorts of versatile. At this price range, you'll probably be better off looking for a great combo amp instead of a half stack. If you already have a cab, though, definitely look for an $800 head because you'll find something insane.
I dont have anything and i don't know what brands are good basically just a noob at this stuff any help would be appreciated. i just know that i need over 75 watts to play over drums and some brands that people have told me about.
Re-update your OP answering these questions, and we can get some serious help/suggestions going on here.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Looks like what you would want is something like a Mesa Roadster. I highly doubt you could find one in your budget though.

Kind of a strange suggestion, but I'd get a Peavey ValveKing 212 or half stack on Craigs List, and then spend the rest on some pedals and a nice guitar.

You wont need a distortion pedal, but you'll most likely want an overdrive pedal. Something like an Ibanez TS-7, Digitech Bad Monkey or a Boss SD-1 would be good on the cheap. You'll also want a noise gate like a Boss NS-2. There's also a new one out that's supposedly really good (kind of a middle ground between an NS-2 and a Decimator. Can't remember the name of it though).

For wah, it'd be hard to go wrong with a regular Crybaby, until you figure out exactly what you want in a wah. All of this stuff can be found really cheap on ebay/craigs list.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Thanks for the input the only problem is our guitar center doesent have anything to play on and I really want to hear or play on an amp before I shell out that much money.
My two cents says go check out Egnater Tweakers. Very versatile, and with a good dirt pedal you can be golden, comes in combo or standard (head and cab).
If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.
With an $800 budget I'd be looking for a used renegade 112 combo, or just get the head and a used 212 cab. Fantastic amp. Can give you some pretty high gain tones without any pedals, and the clean channel is pretty damn good. Do not get the 212 combo unless you hate your spine. That thing is like 130 lbs of awkward mess to carry up and down stairs.

Tweaker sounds good too, but with that budget there are better options.

It's too bad you don't have a cab already, because $800 could get you a beast of an amp if that's all you had to budget for.

Also look for a used Peavey XXX/JSX/Ultra. Can probably score one of those used and still have enough left to buy a decent used 212 cab. This will also give you plenty of gain without resorting to more than an OD pedal.

Any time you can get your gain from the amp, it'll sound better than a distortion pedal. Well, with the right amp, that is.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Last edited by jpatan at Feb 22, 2012,
Quote by Helicopters!
^A Tweaker might not be loud enough for his applications, however.

Tweaker 40 Combo, or like jpatan said, a renegade. 40 watt would be easily loud enough I would imagine. Tweaker also comes in an 88 watt but that might be a bit outta budget.
If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.