Hi Guys,

I recently started recording (Sapphire 6, pair of KRK Rokit 5s) and I have been testing the waters of VSTs since I only have a Line 6 amp and an SM58. I hear a lot of good recordings with great tone via VSTs. Everything I come up with for tone always comes out flat and buzzy. I am looking for some nice rock/hard rock tones. My question to you guys: What's your secret? // How do you get your solid VST tones?

Synkid
Check out my first build
Learn about basic synthesis
Learn about frequency spectrum
Reverse engineer presets you like. i.e look at how they set the knobs
Layer tones on top. i.e fuzzy but thin with a flat but think sound
Have patience.

It's not rocket science but it is hard.
For guitars I am partial to a Bass around between 9o'clock and 12o'clock, Middle little past o'clock, Highs little before 12 o'clock on the LePou Poulin SoloC head ODrive Channel, with gain somewhere between 9 o'clock and 12 o'clock. Followed by an impulse loaded with Keifer. Next I usually EQ to fix the mix (can't really help you since it depends on the song), I follow this up with quite a bit of compression from Sonitus FX: Compression preset I made quite a bit back.

So usually my guitar tone is something like this for rock/hard rock:

-SoloC
-Keifer
-Parametric EQ
-Cakewalk Sonitus FX: Compression

I gave you pretty close to the EQing on this track. BUT you won't learn anything unless you play around with it. Don't just take what I do and copy it.

I do like a little digital in my tone though so you may disagree with my tone. Also a lot of people will disagree with me on compressing guitars, but do what you like. I also tend to throw a somewhat distorted bass behind the guitars (depending on the song is how much).

Also occasionally I use TSE 808 plugin in front of everything to give a bit more of a gainy sound. For heavy sounds I usually sub out the SoloC for the Le Pou Poulin LE456. I am also partial to the Le Pou Hybrit Head the less distorted songs with the TES 808 plugin in front of the head. Actually all of the Le Pou amp sims are great.

LePou Amp Sims
TSE Plugins (The BOD is also great for bass).

In the end though you need to read up on EQing a mix to get a good tone in recording.
Last edited by FireHawk at Feb 20, 2012,
Quote by kyle62
What are you using at the moment? The key to good tone is usually at the cab/mic stage (whether real or virtual) in my opinion.

Seconding this all the freaking way. It's all about the cab.

As for me, I tend to set things neutral, but I lower the gain on almost everything (save for solos) to a lower level than I usually play at. This helps keep clarity when you multi-track something. I'd suggest double tracking the rhythm parts to make them sound a bit fuller.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
So far I have been messing around with the guidelines from here:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1131250

I am about a n00b as they come to this stuff so I am trying to keep reading everything I can find. Everyone's input is very helpful. I spent the $40 or Reaper and am starting to get the hang of it at least a little bit. I also have EZDrummer to play along with. I don't think it necessarily sounds bad I just know it could sound a lot better. The few things that I have recorded are double tracked with 100% pan to each side. I have a feeling this is a time consuming, learn-by-doing process.

Thanks again for the suggestions

Synkid
Check out my first build
Not really a secret, but the PSP Vintage Warmer is awesome for a phat guitar tone.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by Synkid
So far I have been messing around with the guidelines from here:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1131250

I am about a n00b as they come to this stuff so I am trying to keep reading everything I can find. Everyone's input is very helpful. I spent the $40 or Reaper and am starting to get the hang of it at least a little bit. I also have EZDrummer to play along with. I don't think it necessarily sounds bad I just know it could sound a lot better. The few things that I have recorded are double tracked with 100% pan to each side. I have a feeling this is a time consuming, learn-by-doing process.

Thanks again for the suggestions

Synkid

I don't hard pan... more about 50-60% pan unless it's a harmonized lead/melody part, in which case I prefer to hard pan.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
less is more! a good recording of your amp with a little polishing is usually far easier to achieve and better quality than a DI'd signal
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by Eggmond
less is more! a good recording of your amp with a little polishing is usually far easier to achieve and better quality than a DI'd signal

True. But many of of us don't have that luxury.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by Eggmond

Not true.

You need and expensive amp, and spend a lot of time learning how to mic or your recordings usually sound like shit micing an amp. Go to the original recordings or covers thread for proof.

If you have a really nice amp, and find the sweet spot in a nice room and don't over EQ (but still do enough) micing an amp sounds good. I believe it's just as much work and a lot more expensive but it can pay off. You make it sound like you just turn on your 15 Watt Behringer amp and throw a SM57 in front of it and it sounds amazing instantly.
Last edited by FireHawk at Feb 23, 2012,
The key to good tone is usually at the cab/mic stage (whether real or virtual) in my opinion.(Invalid img)
The only amp I have right now is a Line 6 Spyder and I have an SM58. I live in an apartment so I was hoping DI would help keep the background noise out of the equation.
Check out my first build
It's the same as any production work, finding the "right tone" can take months of fiddling about with different Amp Sims and Impulses. Then it can take another 3 years and a load of money to get it actually sound how you want in the mix.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by ChemicalFire
It's the same as any production work, finding the "right tone" can take months of fiddling about with different Amp Sims and Impulses. Then it can take another 3 years and a load of money to get it actually sound how you want in the mix.

This for sure.
google is your friend.

search for free plugins, cockos forum has a thread dedicated to them
What cab impulses do you guys use? I just discovered how much better they are compared to the Pod Farm cabs so if I can find even better cabs it would be great.
Gear:
----------------------
Jack and Danny Brothers Ls-5
Ibanez Gsa 60
----------------------
Zoom g9.2tt (for sale (NL))
----------------------
Blackheart Little Giant
Search for GodCabs and Catharsis, best free impulses. I'd recommend looking here. While the thread is old I think most of the plugins still exist in more updated forms.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by ChemicalFire
Search for GodCabs and Catharsis, best free impulses. I'd recommend looking here. While the thread is old I think most of the plugins still exist in more updated forms.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1233892

Do you have a link to the Godcabs? I couldn't find it anywhere.
Gear:
----------------------
Ibanez Gsa 60
----------------------
----------------------
Blackheart Little Giant
Quote by niels-uiterwaal
Do you have a link to the Godcabs? I couldn't find it anywhere.

Really?

If you Google "Gods Cab" every single link that pops up has a download link to it...
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Huh that was wierd I swear that the first 2 times I searched for it only 5 useless links came up.
But whatever I found them already

Thanks
Gear:
----------------------
Ibanez Gsa 60
----------------------
----------------------
Blackheart Little Giant