Hello I have played rock and metal music for quite a while and I consider myself a pretty accomplished lead guitarist. Recently (the past couole of months) I decided to take up classical guitar in order to further expand my abilities, and because classical guitar is just simply gorgeous sounding anyways. I am serious about taking this up so I bought a fairly expensive guitar that I plan to keep for a lifetime. When I play pieces that have lots of movement, I find myself getting lost on higher frets because my guitar has no fret markers. Coming from an electric guitar background, I used them quite a bit, and I still think that being able to accurately find the 8th fret in a split second would be difficult to anyone not used to guitars without fret markers. Does anyone have any tips as to how to get more accustomed to having no markers, other than just simply hours of practice and playing? Thanks
white-out dots on the side of the neck? that seems to help a lot if people out
are there no side markers? if not take a sharpie and make little dots of the top side of the fret board
i went to the dollarama and bought some stickers for my classical's fretboard. took them off after about 6 months when i went to sell it and it looked like they had never been there.

funny story though the only sticker i could find that I liked was a little lightning bolt shape, and there was only 1 of those inside a whole sheet of justin bieber stickers. I ended up buying 5 sheets just to get 5 of those little stickers...the guy at the counter actually said to me "got bieber fever, hey?"

long story short - you can use small stickers as temporary markers but it might allow people who earn minimum wage to make fun of you.
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
Mike, that's hilarious about the Justin Beiber stickers haha! I may look into that, thanks. I could get me some classy pony stickers or something.

I'd rather not take a Sharpie to the guitar though, it waa rather expensive (as I said I got it to last me a lifetime) so I'd rather not mark on it with permanent marker.
Quote by Thermon
Mike, that's hilarious about the Justin Beiber stickers haha! I may look into that, thanks. I could get me some classy pony stickers or something.

I'd rather not take a Sharpie to the guitar though, it waa rather expensive (as I said I got it to last me a lifetime) so I'd rather not mark on it with permanent marker.

Well if you're gonna keep it for a lifetime then might as well custom mark that S*#(# and get some sweet @** while doing it.
Quote by Fallenoath
Well if you're gonna keep it for a lifetime then might as well custom mark that S*#(# and get some sweet @** while doing it.

I'd rather not still lol.

But yeah, something like those dots would work.
where are the rest of the stickers pray tell? i could use some to re-decorate my barbie dream house.
Quote by Thermon
Lol^^

i put the rest inside my bathroom mirror so every time i go to shave i can pretend i'm a 14 year old girl who <3's the beebs
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
Quote by Thermon
Hello Does anyone have any tips as to how to get more accustomed to having no markers, other than just simply hours of practice and playing? Thanks
OK, we can't go through life with a, "glass half empty", kind of outlook, can we? Breath in some fresh air! Your glass is half full!

If it weren't, you would be studying the violin, and they don't even have frets....

But seriously, I feel your pain. My Ibanez EW doesn't have position markers either. It does have the little dots on the neck binding though, but it's been a decade or more since I could focus that close....

Quote by mike_oxbig
i put the rest inside my bathroom mirror so every time i go to shave i can pretend i'm a 14 year old girl who <3's the beebs
It that "not less than 3", or "not greater than 3" and WTF does it have to do with Justin Beiber.....
Last edited by Captaincranky at Feb 22, 2012,
Quote by Captaincranky
OK, we can't go through life with a, "glass half empty", kind of outlook, can we? Breath in some fresh air! Your glass is half full!

If it weren't, you would be studying the violin, and they don't even have frets....

But seriously, my Ibanez EW doesn't have position markers either. It does have the little dots on the neck binding though, but it's been a decade or more since I could focus that close....

I am not too worried about the markers, I mean heck I'm playing it tomorrow for an Ash Wednesday service for my church. The piece spans tge entire fretboard and I'm able to navigate it okay, but it's a pretty simple song. I find myself with more complex compositions getting lost but I'm sure I'll find my way around through just adjusting. Mine does not have any dots in the binding but oh well, I'll be fine :P I never relied heavily on them in electric, but a piece I'm working on that jumps from about the 5th fret to the 12th for a measure or two, then to around the 8th for a couple more; that can be tricky at a higher tempo though.
...it's a sideways heart

that's like a universally accepted internet emoticon, like the shifty eyes

>.>
<.<

the woman's boobies

(_o_Y_o_)

The dancing man

ƪ(˘⌣˘┐ ƪ(˘⌣˘ʃ ┌(˘⌣˘ʃ

the asian grin

'^.^'

the asian frown

'^.^'

the angry asian

'^.^'

the sad asian

'^.^'

and the drunk asian

'^.^'

...seriously, who doesn't know these things???
Quote by stepchildusmc
Quote by mike_oxbig
...it's a sideways heart

that's like a universally accepted internet emoticon, like the shifty eyes

>.>
<.<

the woman's boobies

(_o_Y_o_)

The dancing man

ƪ(˘⌣˘┐ ƪ(˘⌣˘ʃ ┌(˘⌣˘ʃ

the asian grin

'^.^'

the asian frown

'^.^'

the angry asian

'^.^'

the sad asian

'^.^'

and the drunk asian

'^.^'

...seriously, who doesn't know these things???

Really! Especially when they all look alike.... (well all the Asians do anyway)! Am I allowed to say that? Did you trick me into saying that? Did you make them all look alike on purpose so I would say that....?
what? me? no

>.>
<.<
Quote by stepchildusmc
Hey man
I'd recommend letting the dots go, because since all the frets look the same, your eyes stop aiming but your arm starts "listening to your ear" (muscle memory and that stuff) and correcting itself to a point where you don't need to look, but it's not that it's bad to look at the fretboard.
Once you know a piece of music very very well like tattooed on your DNA, I think it's bad to look at it when whether you do or you fail, it should always be "because you want to".

Just MO
See you 'round!
Mariano
Last edited by zyryab at Feb 24, 2012,