This might be an annoying question, but I'm getting fairly frustrated..

Just bought a squire strat for 50 bucks,
thought it would be cool to mess around with it.

I'm trying to take off the pick guard but 2 of the
screws near the bridge won't come out, they
rotate but don't unscrew, if you know what I
mean.

Any ideas?

Also, any suggestions for cheap mods I could try on my guitar?

EDIT:

I ended up ripping them out, which sucks, but at least they are out.

I would still appreciate any weird cool ideas for modding this thing though
Last edited by VaughnTheSheep at Feb 21, 2012,
Wood is probably stripped. Should be able to just pry up on the guard a bit while turning each screw, which should bring the srew out a bit. Then push the guard back down and you should be able to tuck a fingernal under the screw head to coax it the rest of the way out while turning it.

Best mod on my Squier was Fender/Schaller locking tuners ($65). Cheapest mod was DiMarzio output jack ($5). Most dramatic mod was the two humbuckers from other guitars (Jazz in the neck and Detonator in the bridge). Had to replace the guard for that; went with a custom fit diamond plate aluminum one (around $75).

The other mods weren't so cheap and are pretty esoteric (electronics).
OOooo thanks. I'm gonna try and do a kill switch for starters probably. And maybe do some painting.

Are there any kinds of paint that won't easily deteriorate? It has a plastic-ish finish to it. I know I'm super noob for not knowing what it's called, but i thought I might strip it and go to town on it with some stencils and artwork
Quote by VaughnTheSheep
OOooo thanks. I'm gonna try and do a kill switch for starters probably. And maybe do some painting.

Are there any kinds of paint that won't easily deteriorate? It has a plastic-ish finish to it. I know I'm super noob for not knowing what it's called, but i thought I might strip it and go to town on it with some stencils and artwork

I like pickup truck bedliner paint. But not for guitars, and that's probably not what you've got in mind. Epoxy paint, perhaps?

Another alternative is DIY stickers you print on your inkjet and cut out by hand. I've had one of those on the Squier for about 6 months now and it hasn't worn down at all. I put extra polish on first so it shouldn't affect the actual finish much.

Anyway, sounds like you got a great project guitar to do whatever you want with. Just go wild.

BTW, if you rewire the guitar so you got 2 volumes, then you can make the regular pup selector be a kill switch. Or if you just disconnect the middle pup and wire the leads to ground it will do the same thing.
Hows the Neck? if its warped or whatnot, you can have a custom neck made at warmoth.com which would be a nice upgrade.

upgrading all of your electronics makes a huge difference, Pickups, Volume and Tone Pots, & Input Jack.

Than Hardware, yours probably doesn't have a floyd rose, but you can have a guitar tech. drill out a cavity for a floyd rose, and you can put on a locking nut...

if you wanna go crazy with it, you can also drill out another cavity in the back for a battery box and drop in some active pups.

Project guitars are great, and tons of fun. One of my previous project guitars is not my favorite guitar... Have Fun!!!
Quote by Nrsandback
...Than Hardware, yours probably doesn't have a floyd rose, but you can have a guitar tech. drill out a cavity for a floyd rose, and you can put on a locking nut...

Probably not so much. In all probability it's an Affinity, an SE, or a Bullet. Which would make it about a 1/4" thinner than a normal Strat. So the trem block would stick out the bottom. Not cool.

Also you have to mill a slot in the neck/headstock for a locking nut. While that's theoretically possible, it would also require the wood to be built-up a bit under the top of the nut (on the headstock end) since locking nuts are about 3/4" wide, whereas a normal nut would be under 1/4". I.e., it would hang over where the fretboard ends because the headstock tapers away from the fingerboard too fast, since it's not designed to have a locking nut. Yeah, it can be done, but would be ugly and would compromise the integrity of the neck.

Also you might have to put a huge shim in the neck pocket to get the angle right. Maybe not if you had the top routed, maybe that's just for top-mounted Floyds.

Regardless, you're usually better off buying a guitar that comes with a Floyd than trying to retrofit one.

Same goes for 24 fret necks.
Last edited by jetwash69 at Feb 23, 2012,
Quote by Nrsandback
good points jetwash, didn't think of that, thanks!

No problem; I was thinking about doing all that myself. Glad I learned about the pros and cons here instead of the hard way by throwing money down the drain.

Anyway, still lots of fun things you can do with a Squier. The Schaller locking machines are such a great upgrade; more accurate/controllable tuning, and stays in tune so well. Yeah, whammy use will still knock it out of tune, but a quick snap of the trem brings it back perfectly. I only been playing the Squier at live shows over the last month and haven't had to adjust tuning at all in three shows (over 4 weeks).