I know this will sound like a silly question, but I have searched and have found no answers that really satisfy me.

I have a three ply tortoise pickguard blank that I have shaped into that of a tele deluxe. Now I want to make the holes for the pickups - two Seymour Duncan humbuckers and a single coil. I have a centre line on the blank, and both of stewmac's ball bearing router bits. I'm thinking of buying these templates, one for single and one for the humbucker, both for pickguard routing of course. http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Templates/Pickup_Routing_Templates/Humbucker_Pickup_Routing_Template.html?offset=10&read=reviews#reviews
Can I just route these as I would route cavities into a guitar body? Will the corners on the humbucker be too sharp for the bit? Any better ways to do this?

Thanks
Gear:
Admira Artista classical guitar
$99 Steel string (actually quite good!)
COMING SOON... FREAK MAHOGANY TELE!
i wouldnt use those templates.
they wont give anything for the pickup to hold onto on the pickguard for lowering / raising..

i would. draw the pickguard shape & pickup centre lines on paper.
centre the holes for the height screw lug bits.
flip the pickup over (top side down)
draw around the edge of the pickup body... making a hole big enough for the pickups to slide through.
stick onto the pickguard double sided tape and cut.

if you plan on using pickup rings then you could use the stewmac templates.
Thanks for the advice Dave, what is the best tool for cutting the pg?
Gear:
the corners won't be sharp for the template, but you may want to file them square if thats the look youre going for.
Are you going to use pickup rings? Even if not, I don't see why the pickgaurd templates wouldn't work....
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Nope, no pickup rings. Would filing the ends square after routing be a feasible option?
An these templates have holes for the screws as well, so it would probably be much easier to use these and a router.
Gear:
Those templates are really thin, you might be better off making your own out of MDF thats 1/2in to 3/4in thick. If you have the 3/8ths top bearing router bit from stewmac that will be good for routing the corners of the template if your using PUP rings. Another way to go for pick guard cutting is a scroll saw if you have access to one.
they aren't too thin if you're bit is only 1/2 long, but you will need to make atleast a 1/2 template if its an inch long, like the one I used to own.
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.