I had a guy offer me a Mesa DC-5 on a trade for a bass. Just wanted to know how good of an amp it is. For now, I play mostly metal or classic rock, but I'm starting to lean more towards bluesy stuff, so versatility is kind of a key factor. I'd like to use as few pedals as possible, as well, so a good base tone is also important.
Kodiak bears make awesome bandmates.

Quote by wolvenrick
no seriously 7x NGD is epicness i declare you the winner of all NGD's on UG never have i seen this xD
Depends what bass it is.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
I found it pretty solid when I played it. It's capable of metal, but if you need a really tight high gain sound, you probably will need a boost/OD. I didn't like the tone it gave myself, but that's preference-bound. It's solid if you like the character of the amp.
Quote by Eppicurt
Depends what bass it is.

It's a DBZ Imperial Bass 4 FM.

Quote by wolvenrick
no seriously 7x NGD is epicness i declare you the winner of all NGD's on UG never have i seen this xD
That'd be about right then price wise. It all depends on whether or not you like the amp itself. I can't say about it's quality not having experience with it. Do you have a chance to try it?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
I have yet to try and set something up. I'm more or less trying to decide whether to settle for this, or wait for the Dual Rec I've coveted for so long

Quote by wolvenrick
Last edited by kaosxrocker at Feb 21, 2012,
You shouldn't just settle on something your not 100% completely satisfied with. Go try it for yourself, you don't have to take the offer, and if the dude pressures you just say you're not comfortable with it or am not 100% sure about it yet. It's not like he's going to go shoot up your house, although he might.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Very good point. I'll try and set something up soon.

Quote by wolvenrick
If you're a little uncomfortable about doing that (I know I do sometimes) bring a mate along with you.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Thank you, sir. Sound advice. Does anyone else want to weigh in on the quality and such?

Quote by wolvenrick
I don't think that the DC-5 is what you really want if your "dream" is a Dual Rec. :P
Quote by I K0nijn I
I don't think that the DC-5 is what you really want if your "dream" is a Dual Rec. :P

That's the thing, though. My "dream" is changing. I wanted an all out, balls-to-the-wall metal amp. Now, I'm kinda starting to get away from metal.

Quote by wolvenrick
Then I suggest your try out the DC-5. Nothing to lose, right?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
My budy has the DC3, and it is a nice amp. I think it is based on the Mark series but I could be wrong.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The other guitarist in the metal band/project I'm a part of has a DC-3. It's definitely a good-sounding amp, particularly for low- to mid-gain tones. However, I found it to be veerrrryy mid-heavy, to the point of being oppressive, and it didn't seem to have the tightness in the low end needed for metal. Maybe a tube change will help. His still has the stock Mesa junk tubes in it.

That said, the DC-5 runs on 6l6 power tubes, whereas the DC-3 uses el84s, so it may have a tone better suited to high-gain styles. Of course, you said you were starting to lean toward less aggressive tones. For those tones, I'd say the DC-5 would be a good choice IMO. Give it a shot. And if you find you do want to have more gain available for when you are playing metal, it's nothing a boost can't solve.
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
Well, I tried to set something up to try the amp out, and the guy backed out of the trade. Thanks for all your help, guys. Looks like I'll be in the dark for a little longer, though.

Quote by wolvenrick